Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

83.3%
  2. Above average

11.5%
  3. Average

2.6%
  4. Below average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was so stressed out watching this, knowing what was coming. And it was absolutely horrible. The only time I've wished I hadn't read the books because the shock would have been so huge. Very tightly done episode. Tragedy all round.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The storyline would have been much more effective if Robb's betrayal of his vow came at the prodding of Tywin's machinations as in the books, rather than his own stupidity. Considering they gutted most of the buildup, I think it was about as solid a climax as one could hope for. Dany's victory on the other hand felt almost like filler.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I was still shocked that Caitlyn Tully slit the Frey wife's throat.

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I have not read the books (nor do I intend to), so this was a complete shocking surprise, similar to the next to last episode of season 1.

I was hoping to see Lady Stark reunited with her kids, and also make peace with Jon Snow (espeically after the story she told about Jon Snow to Talisa). But alas that won't happen.

But I do love the unpredictability of the series. Great episode.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Then you sir, are watching the wrong show. I won't spoil anything, but I will say that in Game of Thrones, it's best not to get too attached to certain characters and to not expect things to turn out how it looks like they're being set up. ;)

Personally, I've been dreading the red wedding since the start of the season and knowing it was coming didn't make it any less shocking.

*Really* looking forward to the next episode. Those who have read the books should be able to guess why. :evil:

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I am watching the right one. Some of the anticipated scenes may not happen, but that's more than made up by sheer unpredictability of the show. This may be the best freaking TV series ever made.

8. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

DAMN YOU, BILLY IDOL! YOU KNEW ALL ALONG!

Outstanding episode. Out. Bloody. Standing.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After the show fucked up the Tyrion/Sansa wedding entirely last episode I had zero hope for the handing of the Red Wedding but it worked very well. Roose Bolton was the clear badass of this episode. One of my favourites in the books.

Glad to see Catelyn gone as she doesn't resemble her book counterpart at all.

You really should. Show is good but the books are some of the best fantasy you'll ever read. They're a lot more morally grey and the tacky titillation is absent.

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, Richard Madden is free for Doctor Who, yes..?

Mark

11. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing that can make up for the Red Wedding, is Jeofry Lannister getting killed in an equally brutal way.

-Chris

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you kidding?

Jofrey is going to rape some corpses.

It's his birthday.

13. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I wouldn't put it past him, the sadistic git that he is.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I am SO glad I haven't read the books. I'd have hated for that shock to be blunted by foreknowledge.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That was devastating. Generally speaking the changes the show makes to the source material are problematic; the handling of the Robb/Catelyn storyline since the end of season one is the biggest example. But the invented stuff here-- Bolton and Catelyn, Arya and Grey Wind, Talisa-- was very visually effective. And gosh, Michelle Fairley is extraordinary. The failure to properly set up the Freys and the Boltons over the course of the season turns out not to matter much, at least on a visceral level.

17. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the set-up for this ep hasn't been all that good, but the execution itself? As close to perfect as they could get. I'm glad they were able to make me feel for Robb and Cat again before the end.

18. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Funny you said that - I told my partner exactly the same thing.

He has read the books and he has warned me there is still a lot more to come and not to expect bad things to happen to bad people. Even worse, he has hinted at the general "soap opera" nature of the series with storylines spinning out with nary a chance of resolution being possible.

I don't know what scares me more - more vile stuff happening to good people or AGoT becoming "Home and Away".

It all smacks to me of Martin being a sadist/attention whore who wants to just be all counter and shock his readers/audience - "Look at me! I can write a book where good DOES NOT triumph and evil sometimes wins!"

I wonder if this will affect the ratings for season four?

19. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stick to cookie cutter dumb shit like Star Trek Into Darkness if you want shallow clean cut battles of Good vs Evil where the ending of the story is obvious 5 minutes in. George RR Martin strives for a more realistic, unpredicable approach, without the line between good and evil being drawn. It's what makes the series so refreshing. My favourite characters are Melisandre, Jaime, Stannis and Roose. All of which have done atrocious things. It's the charm of the series.

Robb and Catelyn were nobody's favourites so I doubt anybody will quit watching. If they'd killed Tyrion, Jaime and Arya in the same scene then maybe

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

And yet, a highly significant and symbolic act that sets many things in motion...3 things to be precise...

I, too, marveled at the shocking nature of this episode, despite having read the books. Yes, the Robb/Talissa/Cat scenes were somewhat muddy leading up to the RW, but all seemed quickly rectified in the end, with the other inaccuracies all but forgotten. LOTS of people should be getting some awards for this one. Rated excellent...