Looking for book recomendations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by star trek, Feb 1, 2013.

1. star trek

star trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm looking for any trek novel, story or even a fan fiction (if its any good) for any of the following;

• Exploration of Federation cultures, maybe where a world joins the Federation
    • Anything that reveals or tells more about what happened during the Dominion war
    • An aliens perspective on what they think about the Federation when they first encounter the society. Preferably from a relatively new/unknown species (no Klingons or Romulans)

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Off the top of my head...

• Spock's World, Worlds of Deep Space Nine: (Bajor, Trill, and Andor), and Gemworld 1 and 2
    • Tales of the Dominion War, The Battle of Betazed, Hollow Men, The Gorn Crisis, and the Dominion War doulogy.
    • Not sure about the last question though.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't deal with them joining the Federation, but Spock's World is an awesome piece of world building for the Vulcans. But just to warn you it was written in 1988 so it's history doesn't entirely line up with what was revealed in later series. If that doesn't bother you it's definitely worth a read.
    If you're interested in ongoing stories, there is a lot of development given to several major worlds in the DS9 Relaunch.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And the Tales of the Dominion War anthology, of course.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:vulcan: I didn't.

:lol:

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oops! Somehow I missed that.

Serve me writing for multitasking. (I was probably playing fetch with the cat at the same time!)

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Perhap's "Uhura's Song" by the late Janet Kagan? A fascinating exploration of a new felinoid race and the build-up of trust necessary in a "first contact" type situation.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll recommend this month's new release, Allegiance in Exile by David R. George III, for a first contact with a species that gains prominence in later Trek series...

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I still find it funny that this came out just a few days after I said I wanted to see that happen.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

• I would recommend the DSN Relaunch. In particular, an examination of what happens when a world joins the Federation occurs in the novels Mission: Gamma, Books I through IV and DSN: Unity. An exploration of different Federation cultures occurs in Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vols. I - II. And the novels A Time to Kill; A Time to Heal; A Time for War, A Time for Peace; Articles of the Federation; and A Singular Destiny all examine the mechanisms of Federation democracy.

11. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

You could read Articles of the Federation, by Keith R.A. DeCandido. The book has a first contact component and delves into Federation Government/Politics.

12. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Huh, I just started reading it and I can already tell the author has watched every episode of The West Wing. Nan Bacco is a little too similar to Jed Bartlet right down to the back story.

The character traits of her staff match that of his to varying degree's too. She even has a secretary that is snarky.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I don't mean to be picking this apart but this inspired me to compare and contrast the characters.

Articles is obviously very West Wing-like, but I don't agree that Bacco as a character is so similar to Bartlet. They're both snarky and have a cantankerous old secretary who's been with them forever, but Bartlet is far more patrician in his manner, whereas Bacco has a very homespun, down-to-earth temperament. I could easily see Bacco calling Bartlet "high-falutin'," but I can't possibly imagine Bacco cursing God out in Latin.

Their backgrounds are only similar insofar as they were both the governors first; Bacco, so far as we know, was not a world-renowned (or, I suppose, quadrant-renowned) economist prior to becoming governor the way Bartlet was, nor did Bacco ever serve on the Federation Council the way Bartlet served in the U.S. House.

KRAD has been pretty frank about saying Bacco was inspired by a combination of former Texas Governor Anne Richards, the late columnist Molly Ivans, the character of Jed Bartlet, and by his late great-grandmother.