I finally saw Grenn Lantern, not as bad as I expected.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Phoenicianknight, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just don't see where there's a fundamental problem with telling stories in eras of peace. Star Trek has done pretty well in that regard for close to half a century now. It's a nonsensical generalization to say that a given setting or situation for storytelling can never work.

And I have no idea where you're coming from with the GL/Power Ranger comparisons.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember almost nothing about power rangers.

But is there a team of power rangers on every planet in the galaxy?

I thought that who we knew to be Power Rangers were just the elite children's crusade for some disembodied space god or hand me downs from some suicide mission gone bad?

Although it might have evolved in the last 20 years since I last watched an episode.

How special do those earth kids feel when they find out that all their shite is mass produced in a factory?

"Thank you for getting me a new helmet... But why is there blood all over it?"

"Sorry, someone was supposed to clean that, but I'm recycling now. there's a lot of useable hardware left on a powerranger after he gets frakked in the line of duty, that it's almost criminal to leave on the battlefield to rust or let the slum dogs loot."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

But I didn't say that - I only said that I wouldn't have invested in a traditional GL take. As for comparing franchises, that takes us deep into the murky depths of subjectivity.

Anyhow, I've had my $.02; I'm good. (And my movie would've sold better and to a bigger audience. :p)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You don't know that. All you can honestly say is that you personally would've liked it better. If it were possible to predict what would sell better, then nothing would ever fail, because everyone would know how to succeed. The people who made the movie undoubtedly believed that what they were doing would sell better than the alternatives, but they were wrong.

5. Guy Gardener

They held back.

Like pussies.

They had a story and then cut it into a trilogy.

They didn't earn a trilogy.

So we got a third of the story they wanted to tell.

They just expected three movies because Batman got 3.

(Failing to recall that a Superman Movie ever failed.)

They had Sinestro all prepared to be the big bad in the second movie.

When did they realize that there wasn't going to be a second movie?

Not the opening weekend, when did they really begin to suspect faliure?

Was there time to go "all in" at the 11th hour?

That all this energy they were putting into laying the ground work for a second movie could have been room/space used to actually have Sinestro go evil and run amok with the yellow ring in the first movie and show us a good time.

Showing us where they're going is prelude sometimes as much as limiting the story telling they can tell in the here and now because there are significant doors that are closed till they start production on movie two.

I wonder if Blake and Ryan accidentally lost control of their Star Sapphire Green lantern sex tape if that would help at even this late date?

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If Guy Gardener had been cast as Hal instead of Reynolds, the movie would have made a billion! :p

Seriously, this movie would should have been pretty much Training Day with Hal and Sinestro. I can't believe they didn't go with this obvious storyline!

7. Guy Gardener

Shucks, thank you, but DEATH FIRST!

Coincidentally, in the comics right now Hal and Sinestro have been on a dandy Buddy movie roadtrip since the New 52 Started.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ordinarily I'd of course agree, but I happened to run by my ol' pal Jesus at Happy Hour yesterday, and he told me over a brew that my idea would indeed have been much more financially successful, and that a sequel would've been shooting by now.

"And would I have gone to see it?" I asked.

He took a deep swig. "Nah, man, you still wouldn't have bothered." He then glanced at his watch. "Oh, drat, I've got a high school basketball game to interfere with down in Tampa. Rapture you later!"

And, just like that, he was gone.