More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's later in the book. I never said it was in the prologue.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    At least he had the Emperor more or less figured out all along and his character wasn't just some CGI addition thrown into the Special Editions for the hell of it. Here's another fun fact: the 1976 novelization of the original film was the very first mass-market Star Wars collectible, well over a full year before the very first Kenner action figures ever hit. A mint or near-mint first edition of the book is one of the most valuable SW items on the current market, rivalling some of the rarer action figures from the original line.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So the prologue contradicts something later in the book? Interesting. I may have to re-read my copy for the first time in 30 years.

Hehe, my copy is a December 1976 first edition. Lucas is listed as the writer with no mention of ADF and it has the original McQuarrie preproduction art on the cover.

Last line of the prologue -
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, naturally they became heroes" - Leia Organa of Alderaan, Senator

ETA: sigh, after reading Cooleddies post, I am wishing mine was in near mint condition instead of well used but still holding together.

4. cooleddie74

Hold onto it. It's worth a few bucks if you kept it in terrific condition.

5. sojourner

Nope, it's in average condition for a 35yr old book. If I recall correctly, mom found it in a garage sale in the early 80's and gave it to me, so it wasn't in "mint" condition when I got it. Though at least it hasn't gotten any worse since then. I tend to take care of my books.

6. cooleddie74

I loved those old '80s and '90s garage sales. You could find Star Wars and Star Trek items if you were in the right place at the right time. One sale I ran into had a person selling their Darth Vader action figure carrying case with quite a handful of original Kenner figures inside. They wanted a little more than I was willing to pay for a case and figures I already had, but it was fun cracking open Vader's head and seeing a few classic Stormtroopers, droids and Rebel troopers staring back at me, most still having their original weapons and accessories.

As amazing as the current era of collecting has been, nothing will ever touch those old school Kenner figures for pure nostalgia and fun.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That Vader head case was the best.

8. cooleddie74

I have two of them. They also made a gold C-3PO carrying case along the same lines but it was never as popular.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So is this Yoda outing going to be a young Yoda scenario, like 900 years ago? The end of the Old Republic?

I wonder if the TV series Star Wars: Underworld has actually 'gone under' and the Boba Fett film is going to be the end result of that? The rumor was that he was the lead. Great chance to use a grown-up Daniel Logan.

As for Han, fingers crossed because this could be the royal fuck up of them all, if he's too young. Can't abide/endure another Jake Llyod.

10. cooleddie74

Han was only 29 years old at the time of A New Hope so they have to get somebody that looks at least somewhat like a younger Harrison Ford or else it won't be too believable. I'm trying to think of a really good character actor with chops who sort of resembles Ford in the 1970s but I'm drawing a blank....anybody got any ideas?

As for a Yoda film, remember that he said in Empire that he spent 800 years training other Jedi, which means that he became a Master before he was even one hundred years old. I'd like to see a movie set 800 years before the prequels and OT at a time when Yoda is a fresh, new Jedi Master taking on his very first Padawan apprentice. It'd be interesting to see the Republic centuries before the era of its corruption and downfall in the Prequel Trilogy. A Yoda who's only in double digits in age might be a very cool thing to see. If he's that powerful and quick in combat at the age of 875 then how amazing would have have been at one-tenth that age?

11. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has there ever been an edition of the ANH novelization that acknowledges that ADF ghosted Lucas?

It is, of course, common knowledge (and there's even a paragraph or so about it on ADF's web site, the gist of which is that he never had a problem with the situation), but I wouldn't expect the writer's credit to change.

(And anybody who grew up on any of the Stratemeyer juvenile novel series [The Bobbsey Twins, in my case] is familiar with anonymously ghosted books, whether they realize it or not: neither "Franklin W. Dixon," nor "Carolyn Keene," nor "Laura Lee Hope" were ever real people, nor even pseudonyms for any one writer, once any given series got past the first 2-3 volumes. Edward Stratemeyer was the man who invented "book packaging.")

12. sojourner

Sounds like you went to my next door neighbor's house around 1984

Not sure how good an actor he is, but there was a guy on Once Upon a Time in a bit part last season that I thought looked like a young Harrison. Think he was a teacher or coach at the school.
    Don't know, this is the only copy I've owned.

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Empire has a list of their top 9 choices for who should get a stand-alone movie.

For those who can't be bothered to read the article they went with:

Boba Fett
    Darth Maul
    Yoda
    Mace Windu
    Han Solo
    Chewbacca
    Lando
    Admiral Ackbar
    Porkins :lol:

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Sausage fest! How about a romantic comedy staring a young Princess Leia?

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like to see a Leia movie, maybe not a romcom but showing how she came to be an important part of the rebellion.

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm saying "romcom" because if Disney intends to flood the market with Star Wars movies, it makes sense to target them at different demographics, which means that at least one of them should be made with girls and women in mind.

17. cooleddie74

Porkins: The Merely Plump Years

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Ahsoka Tano and Padme Amidala Go Shopping

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sam Claflin

[​IMG]

20. cooleddie74

Oh, yeah. Didn't even think about that guy. Sam could potentially work in the role. And you wouldn't need to worry about a slightly younger Chewbacca because Peter Mayhew is always draped in Wookiee makeup, so a Sam-Peter team might be feasible.

I'm trying to recall when Han was booted out of the Imperial Academy for disobeying orders and freeing Chewbacca from slavery....the graphic novel makes Him look like he'd reached his early twenties by that point and the fact he was in the Academy would also point to an age between the end of his teens and his early twenties, which means the film could be set 7-10 years before A New Hope.