X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Yeah, appalling might sound a wee bit strong, but maybe has different emotive power this side of pond :) Still, I'm a nobody next to this guy:

After watching X-Men: First Class, Lost creator Damon Lindelof tweeted his opinion of January Jones' portrayal of Emma Frost.

'Emma Frost’s THREE mutant powers: Telepathy, Transformation to Solid Diamond and last but not least, Sucking at Acting,' he wrote.

off-thread, but thought of line-up image first and twist came much, much later. There's a couple of great docs about Suspects that explain the whole creative process of film...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Charles showed her what he looked like.

Or not, it could be a plothole, but a minor one - limited to a graphical error.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same as Mystique's uniform changing at the end. She obviously stripped naked before stepping out of the plane.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Other mutants, includin' Azazel, had seen him like that. Charles could read Azazel's mind. Charles put the image of Shaw in Mystique's head, so she could copy it.

That simple.

:bolian:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

No, German parentage but brought up in Kerry. He did a very convincing NI accent in Hunger (I'm sure you know that you know that the NI and Kerry accents are miles apart) and a strong English one in Inglorious Basterds. Which made it all the odder that he had such a totally southern Irish (to my ears) accent throughout much of X-Men!

6. geotecnia

geotecnia Guest

Great movie..
    I think it is great... All parts are very good to me..

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm definately going to see it at least one more time myself, for a total of two viewings. Three is my max the last few years for films I deem "big screen worthy".
    The last movie I saw more than 3 times was the first Transformers, 7 times.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The discrepancy to note I think would be she hadn't seen him, that I recall, in that same outfit at that moment on the beachhead. When Shaw and his group invaded the CIA building they were in Shaw is wearing the helmet then when he confronts the recruits. So she would know what he looks like in the helmet at least.

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

His mom's from Antrim. We can split the difference, I think.

12. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All the more to say, Charles is convinced he's preventing a nuclear war by holding Shaw still... he's got lots of reasons to let Shaw go, selfish and self-less, but he holds on (and lets Shaw be murdered) because he may be saving the human race... so that wins.

Or because the gag doesn't work at all if the audience goes "That's not what Shaw was wearing!" ;)

13. Captaindemotion

Fair enough. Accent is definitely more Southern to my ears though.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind January Jones' performance. I mean, her name is Emma Frost. It would make sense her delivery was, well, icy.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I take everything Damon Lindelof tweets with a grain of salt. As he established in that stupid George R.R. Martin "feud" he has a sense of humor that sometimes comes across as him acting like an ass, and it's difficult to determine sometimes when he's being genuine about something.

16. Captaindemotion

It would be a bit rich for someone who made a show with Emile DeRavn as a lead to criticise the acting of any other actress

17. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I didn't find Jones bad per se, just a bit bland. I don't think they got Emma's characterisation right. A little bit of that it's-my-world-darlings-and-you're-just-living-in-it vibe might have been more appropriate.
    Hopefully the character will be better-realised in a sequel. One Storm snafu was enough.

18. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought Emma Frost would have a bit of a British accent. And she's not supposed to be passive like Jones.

19. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Emma Frost is supposed to be sexy, cocky, powerful, and badass.

She's basically the opposite of Jean Grey personality wise, hence their issues with one another (and Cyclops did cheat on Jean with her).

She knows she's the shit and she lets everyone know it.

The White Queen.

Frosty, cold, but damn sexy.

That's Emma Frost.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I still can't believe they got Magneto wrong. His gripe was with humanity, or, at least humans who despise those that are different. But his enemy here is not that at all, it's an uber-powerful mutant.

Was this film a joke?

The other thing is I hate the fact that Xavier and Erik are friends for a bit, recruit some other kids and part ways, whereas in the original; trilogy they have been good friends for a much longer time. I mean I know many people who, in my 20's, I was good 30's.

Everyone is giving this film positive reviews, but once they realize how shallow it really is that will change.

Oh, and I hated the very very very frequent scene changes with the convenient subtitle labels ("covert base" - thanks that helps) especially when some individual scenes last for a few seconds. Worse yet is showing the captains of Russian and American fleets acting like dolts, and the dialogue for both kinds of captains are exactly the same,. save for the need to have one guy say it in another language.

Did anyone actually read this screenplay?