Oh boy...IDW just brought up the money thing again.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by robau, Apr 15, 2015.

1. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They flat out said people don't buy and sell things on earth due to replicators. This is in 2262.

So what the hell was Kirk saying "her drinks on me" for then? Figure of speech?

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The comics are apocryphal. If this one was written by Orci & Co, then perhaps it could be considered deuterocanonical, at best.

Kor

3. robau

Easy for you to say. You're not obsessed with the era. This destroys my increasingly comfortable idea that earth was still somewhat capitalist.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Or it's lies by false prophets.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

*headdesk* it's just a throwaway line in a comic.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this any worse than it being stated money stopped existing in the 22nd century, but having the Enterprise characters "betting a month's wages?"

It is curious, why does everyone resist the "no money" thing, yet to this day you'll still find people defending the idea that Starfleet isn't a military, as proven by the recent thread?

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's whatever they say it is this week. It changes all the time, because it's made up.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Replicators are kind of like Troi's empathy.

They only exist when they wouldn't mess up the story.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I probably would not have found it so annoying if it were not for the fact that I could have lifted that quote an inserted it in to Picard's mouth as part of a speech and it would have fit seamlessly.

Part 1 was decent but this second part is struggling a bit, in my opinion.

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Sort of. It is a gesture of a line to get the woman's attention. It was used for so long that the practise is still followed even if there is not currency.

That or there are acception to the rules. Alcohol being one of those things.

It wasn't a literal since her drinks were not on him nor did he seem to want her drinks to be placed on his person (Spock or Data would be puzzled by the phrase the first time they heard it).

11. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would assume that even if the larger segment of society no longer used a currency based system, that they're would still be people who did.

Just as I assume that just because the Federation doesn't use money it would have some arrangement so that when someone from the Federation felt with someone from a culture that does use some form of currency that they have some system in place so that said Federation person who could make transactions with the person outside of the federation.

There society my not be based upon it, but that they can manage away to equate a person with a coin value, especially for when you deal outside of your own society, or even with those in your society that shun that advancement.

And clearly it isn't you can just make however much "money" you wish. because boy random traders outside of the Federation would be screwed. so there must be some system set up to regulate how much money a person can get, if they are in a situation where it would be used.

12. robau

I was thinking it goes back to the replicator credits idea. It's on him in the sense that he'll use his allotted amount for her drink. But it's not an exchangeable currency. Since replicators were specifically mentioned in the line, I'm now inclined to believe earths entire economy revolves around that. That's probably how it's always been since 50 years after first contact.

13. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Picard said virtually the same thing in Allegiance. He ordered ales for everybody in Ten Forward. And everyone thanked him with gratitude.

Which made little sense if it's all free to begin with :lol:

At this point, I don't know what Trek's economy is about. It's all over the place.

They refuse to have any real extended conversation about it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

"Drinks on the house" or "Drinks on me" are old time phrases, used maybe for a millenia or more on Earth. Even in other languages I would gather. It remains in place even when the drinks are free. It is a gesture more than anything else.

15. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Indeed. Don't know why some people can't understand that writers can change 'history' and anything else that suits them because they're not bound by any rules. No need to get wrapped around the axle over fiction.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Don't be tellin' me that shit.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[Yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/yt]

18. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

You bet your ass.

(I don't expect you to bet your ass now)

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

We're Star Trek fans. Throwaway lines don't exist to us.

20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol:

Perfect. :techman: