ST09 ending couldve done with more twists/mystique/nods to the future

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

i felt the whole coming back from the future was a bit of a McGuffin and when Kirk and Spock 2.0s go over to the Narada and aboard Spock Primes ship they were basically going into the ‘Prime Universe’ and messing about with Next Generation/Prime stuff, - so i thought it wouldve been nice to have abit more resolution on the alternate universe/future (and especially Kirks as his upbringing got so screwed thanks to nero) and have it play more of a role in the conclusion

e.g. When Kirk and Spock beamed over to the narada and Kirk went off looking for Pike. he comes to Neros computer consol and looks at the screen – on it is an image or footage of Shat Kirk (TWOK era in the red uniform) – the explanation being Nero has been checking up on his adversary/brushing up on starfleet history (like in ‘Countdown‘)– who Kirk is/what his thinking is like etc. (it would’ve vaguely tied in with Kirk saying earlier that Nero would know what they were up to as they were part of his history so lets be unpredictable )

NuKirk looks at it perplexed – theres something familiar about this guy but he cant stick around and check up on his alternate future as hes got to find Pike and get off the ship and its then he gets attacked by Ayel/Nero leading to the ‘I know your face….’ so itd have had that sense of wanting to look at hidden treasures/info but unable to due to the danger/time running out - as in the end of any Indy movie.

nothing big just a throwaway thing – abit like the Death Star cameo in Attack of the Clones or the scene in ’In a Mirror Darkly’ with Mirror Archer checking out his doppelgangers resume. kirk would catch a fleeting glimpse of his alternate future before he gets his ass kicked (he was obviously curious as he asked Spock Prime in the ice cave).
    they couldve used some some footage of Shatner from an out take from one of the previous Trek films or even something like TJ Hooker CGed so hes in the Wrath of Khan era uniform - so fans would be like ‘whoa never seen that b4...’

It would’ve also been a fun resolution to the whole will Shatner be in the movie thing

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Re: ST09 ending couldve done with more twists/mystique/nods to the fut

If you're going to cram in a Shatner cameo, at least let it be an original scene. Like the one they wanted to use where they show a holo message that Kirk sent Spock on his birthday.

It displays the friendship between the two and doesn't turn it into the Shatner Movie featuring other people like Generations became. Also it would flow better than cramming it into a quickly paced scene.

But it isn't really needed, the movie was fine without Shatner and Pine got to shine without having to compare him to Shatner in the same movie.

3. Khan 2.0

maybe do something like that in 3...id still like Shatner there...if possible

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the exchange between Kirk and the elder Spock was a perfect hint at Kirk's destiny -

"Coming back in time, changing history. It's cheating."

"A trick I learned from an old friend."

And the look of realization on Kirk's face is perfect.

I also kinda wished they did that MCU-style after credits scene with the Botany Bay floating in space which was talked about on the commentary track.

5. Khan 2.0

yes also the 'i know your face from earths history' scene . i guess that could also count as a sort of shat kirk 'cameo'

6. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I thought it was done really well, the only thing I would have like to have seen is a Botany Bay scene right at the end, I know it wasn't really possible as Marcus or Cumberbatch hadn't been cast at that point, but maybe just footage of a starfleet vessel approaching it with the camera panning to the words 'Botany Bay' on the side of the vessel would have been ace, and would have ramped up the hype for STID instead of all the secrecy which IMO hurt the box office.

7. Khan 2.0

least we wouldve actually got to have seen the Botany bay!

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Okay, I admit that disappointed me a very, very, small bit with STID. When Khan gave Kirk those coordinates, I was thinking for a moment we were going to see a (pre disaster) Ceti Alpha V with a crashed/landed Botany Bay and the cryopods all missing or Scotty finding the ship inside the massive drydock that turned out to belong to the Vengeance.

9. Khan 2.0

that wouldve been cool.
    i thought the BB would show up in the Raiders warehouse at the end behind all the cryo pods

10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Too early for that though? Maybe not, would Marcus have done the same as Kirk in Space Seed though?