Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The low textures are probably due to the game using DX9. DX10 and 11 allow developers to add more visual pizzaz to a game, but they have higher minimum specs for PC users. If Paramount is trying to get into the Asian market, locking down the game so it can be played on Windows XP makes sense, since they seem to be on or installing XP a lot for some reason.

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^No doubt, i assumed it was the PC version running on low settings, hopefully the game has options to ramp up all the detail for those with medium to high end PC's.

Fingers crossed. :)

Just did a quick checlk on steam to see the recommended setting for the game,

• Processor:2.4 GHz quad core or higher
    • Memory:4 GB RAM
    • Graphics:Nvidia GeforceGTX 560/ATI Radeon HD 5850 or better GFX RAM: 1GB or more
    • DirectX®:9.0c
    Sort of mid level PC so i assume what we see in the video wont chance that much assuming you can indeed ramp up the detail.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I see some v-sync issues but I'm not sure what platform they were playing on.

4. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

WIth the game to be released on the 23rd, I pre-ordered from Amazon UK - dunno if they're going to post me a phycial disk or email me a hyperlink to a download site. Does anyone else have any experience of what they tend to do.

(I so hope they send me a physical disc, with an honest to god box - the last Trek game I bought (2nd hand in my defence) was Away Team - and that's only becasue I'm a completist.

5. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm in. I've already paid off my pre-order at GameStop. I think the 30 minutes of gameplay looks good, despite the frame rate and graphics issues. I've oly been gaming since 2009 and this will be my first Trek experience in games. Looking forward to it. I'm playing on the PS3.

6. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting. Both Borderlands 2 and Aliens: CM were made by Gearbox Software. Aliens did suck, but I thought Borderlands 2 was pretty good. What sort of issues did you have and did you play on PC, 360 or PS3?

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am not satisfied with having to download a multi GB game, I will wait to see how others in the US fair with their PC downloads

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Just one more week! I'm ready to play!

9. BillJ

:techman:

10. bullethead

Did the page you ordered on say "[PC Download]"? If not, you get the disc.

Sadly, all we American PC players have to settle for downloads.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

The PC version was such a pain in the backside at launch that i ditched it and went onto the xbox with it.

12. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't get it, why do the Gorn look so much different in this game compared to their TV show counterparts? This game is canon. So how would Nero going back in time have any effect at all on what the Gorn look like?

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The game is postulating that there are several Gorn... races? species?... above and beyond the Gorn commander seen in "Arena".

I don't remember the specifics of the Gorn appearance in Enterprise, but that approach seems compatible with canon to me.

14. BillJ

This.

We've seen two Gorn in live-action and they both were quite different.

15. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Just think of the Abramverse as an another Mirror Universe. It makes your life easier.

16. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Or just accept that the original appearance of them was in a show that had a 1960s TV budget trying to do funky stuff on a weekly basis and that media made 40 odd years later don't want to be visually bogged down by the limitations of said era. Hard to suspend one's belief I know, but there you go.

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Can PCs in the US run the UK disk?

18. bullethead

19. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Very nice

20. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks promising. Kind of like Tomb Raider's upgrade system if it had a baby with an RPG's skill/progression.