Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, May 25, 2013.

1. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

I didn't have a problem with the first two senior staff meetings as Kirk would often have a meeting to discuss the episode's ethical conundrum, and he would have had a follow up had circumstances changed in the episode. My only problem was the third meeting which I felt was extraneous... Kirk could have simply had essentially the same dialogue in the medical bay with Spock and McCoy and announced his decision.

That was really my only problem with the structure of the story, but I still felt it was very true to TOS and certainly felt like a continuation of the show. My only other quibble was Grant Imahara... he was trying to channel Takei too much. There were moments he nailed an other's where he was too over the top... just sit back and relax.

Otherwise thoroughly enjoyable.

Yancy

2. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

An excellent first outing! I knew I'd heard that computer voice somewhere before.

My only complaint was that the story dragged a couple of times, and anytime someone sings in a Star Trek production, it makes me cringe just a little. Still, that was handled pretty well here.

One of the best things about the episode is the surprise finale. That caught me totally off-guard. Nice touch!

And Scotty was played well, though I would have liked to see his connection to his shipmate in "Who Mourns for Adonais?" made a bit clearer.

Overall, a totally enjoyable first trip around the quadrant! I look forward to the next fan film!

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I was very impressed with Michael Forrest and Vic's performances as well Mr. Doohan. I watched without the sound 'cause I can't find the sound control and I would like to hear the main theme (Is it the same as TOS?), but Larry Nemecek is trying too hard as if he's trying to write with his acting. OTOH, The Spock actor doesn't seem to be trying hard enough to be imposing and powerful. Didn't catch who wrote it, but if he did, nice bit of writing. I thoroughly liked the story and enjoyed the SFX and the directing and the editing, though story and music is what I know best. Did they use TOS incidental music? The story was spot on excellent even if it was a sequel. It was beautifully produced. Uhura was fantastic.

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

The funny thing is over the years the world, his wife, his dog and everyone else in the neighbourhood has presented their version of 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Four and Five'. If not in fan films then in novels, comics (and several conflicting versions by DC/Marvel/IDW etc) and even the Peter Pan Record sets. This could sound like a moan, but no it's proof there are still many tales to be told with Kirk, Spock and the original crew.

The opening episode, like the vignettes, was a very polished production but not without flaws. The story was OK but could have perhaps been better. The acting for the most part was fine, particularly Chris Doohan and Vic's Kirk has grown on me with a full episode. I agree with the Grant Imahara comments, the 'big scene' on the hull was let down because he didn't look that serious, more like smiling. The guest cast was quite a coup with Michael Forest returning, Jamie Bamber cameoing and I had to smile at the computer voice - perhaps because there were several calls for Marina Sirtis to take over from her on-screen mother for Star Trek Into Darkness. Again, the fans got there first!

A big surprise with the opening scene and new crew member are the throw forwards to The Next Generation.

I love Phase II, and stylistically they are more modern, even changing the ship ready for TMP, but Continues is solidly TOS continued, and one could almost believe it was made in the 60s, just recently rediscovered and remastered. I said in the opening paragraph that people still have hundreds of stories to tell for Kirk and crew, I look forward to seeing where STC goes.

5. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

:beer::beer:
    Very Very Good. Each actor had a chance to shine in this. STC has a chance to do some great episodes.
    Thanks for the hard work.
    :drool:

6. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Loved it been waiting for this !!! Star Trek lives !!!!

7. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I haven't always liked the tone of the interviews I've seen from the STC crew, sometimes it feels like they're trying to build themselves up by pushing others down a bit too much.

What I did like was this episode, particularly as a first episode.

Here are some of my impressions:

First, the cast.
    Vic Mignogna as Kirk. I think Vic did a fantastic job as Kirk; he has the mannerisms and the body language down pat. His voice still throws me a bit, as it seems flatter and less resonant to my ears than anyone else I've heard play the role, but I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.
    Larry Nemecek as Bones. He wasn't bad, I liked the expressiveness of his acting, but I liked Chuck Huber better in the vignettes. I think part of the problem is that he seemed a bit too much like Dr. Piper from the first pilot than McCoy...
    Todd Haberkorn as Spock. I liked aspects of his performance, but wasn't as convinced by others. I do think he did a good job of depicting Spock's alien side, but he lacked the dramatic power. As with Kirk, I think the voice lacked something. Haberkorn's voice seemed somehow thinner to my ears than Nimoy's causing his delivery to lack the gravitas I think the role needs.
    Chris Doohan as Scotty. Chris Doohan is Mr. Scott. 'Nuff said.

I thought Uhura was good, and Grant's Sulu was fun, although yes he was trying too hard at times. I didn't think Chekhov had enough screen time to make a difference.

Others have talked the story, and I agree, there were too many meetings, but it was a solid story, even if not perfect. More to the point, it really felt like Trek.

As to the two TNG shout-outs, I really thought McKenna's role was a good idea, but I didn't care for Scotty's invention in the teaser because it came across to me as pure fan-service. It really had nothing to do with the story, and that bothered me.

Great first episode and I want to see more.

8. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I watched this late last night at 3 am. I have to admit that when I first saw the doctor appear on screen, my first thought was "Dr. Piper is in this?" I think he looks and sounds more like Piper than he does Bones. All in all, I thought this was a great first episode. They did a really great job, and there was a lot of easter eggs in the episode for fans to enjoy. The introduction of the holodeck was also inspired. All of the acting was top notch. Chris Doohan as Scotty was beyond amazing!

9. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

See for me, the Holodeck fell completely flat. Part of it is that I see it as the one great technological leap separating TNG era from TOS era - so it doesn't belong in a TOS-era series. Not in my opinion, anyways. Also, and this is a big complaint, it did nothing for the story. Nothing.

Take it out and you lose nothing but the call-out to Spectre of the Gun, and none of it's referenced again in the episode.

10. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

You know, so far, nobody has mention the name of the TV icon portrayed in the holodeck.... maybe some of us are too young????

11. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

It threw me off track. When they were debating on whether or not it was safe to find a planet for Apollo to live out his remaining days, I thought the Holodeck was going to come into play. I figured they would somehow use it to give Apollo the illusion of a settling on a planet.

I have no idea why it was even in the episode other than to establish its existence for possible use in a future story.

12. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Roddenberry wrote the concept of the "Holodeck" into Star Trek: The Next Generation, but the concept had already been tested in 1974 in Star Trek: the Animated Series, where it was referred to as the "recreation room." The holodeck was also discussed in some of the later TOS novels, that took place just after Star Trek VI, with Captain Kirk testing it out.

13. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it's a Chekhov's gun failure. By introducing it the way they did, it should have been important, but it wasn't.

That doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the episode. But I can see room for improvement with the next.

14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wasn't really a call-out to "Spectre of the Gun," it was a nod to Gene Roddenberry's writing for "Have Gun Will Travel" (BTW, Doug Drexler was the "Paladin" character on the holodeck). GR wrote a TON of "Have Gun Will Travel" episodes (I think about half) and that scene was a little Easter egg. As mentioned earlier the holodeck concept was introduced in TAS and in this episode Scotty mentioned it was experimental. I don't have an issue with the scene honestly.

15. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Not related to this thread but did they use your graphics on the bridge display panels? They don't look as animated as the ones on the Ajax bridge.

16. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I missed the "Have Gun, Will Travel" reference almost completely. Then again, I don't think I've seen an episode since around 1975, as I'm not a big western fan. I haven't watched much TAS in decades, either.

I simply didn't think the scene added to the story, and even with the use in TAS, it really doesn't feel right for me in TOS.

17. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

See, I liked the teaser because the gunman was Paladin from another NBC show Have Gun Will Travel that would often do morality tales not too far afield of Star Trek. And it was played by f/x guru Doug Drexler.

18. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

I think having Paladin is a nod to the kind of stories that they had in HGWT and Star Trek, morality plays.

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I really enjoyed this. They managed to capture the feel of the original series better than any fanfilm I've seen and the cast is really strong. Michael Forest was great, Vic Mignogna makes a very Shatnerian Kirk and Chris Doohan does his father proud as Scotty. And I LOVED that Uhura got to sing a song!

I can't wait to see more from this team.

Yeah, the hair grew back when he had powered up- after the church session in the rec room and after his sacrifice in sickbay.

Doctor Piper was in "Where No Man Has Gone Before." "The Cage" had Doctor Boyce.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still no YouTube link?