The Definitive SPOILER Thread. Actual Spoilers.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by thePhanatic, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, it makes as much sense as most things in Star Trek - and frankly, a lot more than the kinds of reversals that used to happen in TOS (like, Scotty in "The Changeling," or Spock getting his vision back in "Obsession," or "oops, he's dead no we're joshing you" in "Amok Time," or Sargon hiding Kirk in Chapel (unfortunate way of putting it, I know)...you get the idea.

In fact, to the extent that it's tacky it's like an homage to the original series. :cool:

2. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

darn. If they were going to reverse TWoK, They should've made a reverse "The Search for Kirk" too. That way, JJ has no reason not to cast Bill.

3. themadhatter

themadhatter Ensign Newbie

No doubt, that is exactly what i was thinking.

So, now villain is British and has magic blood? Wow, sign me up for the Blu-Ray, because my theater tickets just got refunded.

If these early bird synopsis are indeed correct, then they revealed about 90% of the plot in the trailers anyway, so I don't even feel that spoiled.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

That's a problem, because everyone knows Khan is Mexican.

5. thePhanatic

thePhanatic Guest

Much more of the internals of the ship are seen. There are still Budweiser Factory internals, but this is just one part of many new Engineering sets which look much more 23rd century. You'll love it.

Christine Chapel left the Enterprise to become a nurse somewhere else - implied to be a past fling with Kirk. Kirk indeed wakes up after the Nibiru incident on Earth in bed with twins. For all that we know of Carol Marcus and Kirk in the Prime universe, Carol Marcus is NOT a love interest of Kirk in this film.

6. themadhatter

themadhatter Ensign Newbie

They could have at least given Cumberpatch a spray-on tan.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Puh-lease.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Damon Lindlelof trend:

If there's a secondary blond female character in one of his TV shows or films, she will have a secret paternal reveal that's treated as shocking but is ultimately unimportant or could have been known all along without any major difference.

Clair <> Jack's father in Lost
    Charlize Theron <> Shitty makeup Guy Pierce in Prometheus
    Carol Wallace nee Marcus <> Admiral Robocop in STiD

I mean, maybe it comes off as some bigger reveal in the movie itself, but since we already knew who she was for months now and since it doesn't sound like it would make much of a difference to the plot of the film if she was known as Carol Marcus all along, it just seems like a pointless thing to conceal.

It comes across like he keeps trying to have a big Darth Vader parental reveal but can't make it work.

9. thePhanatic

thePhanatic Guest

"Khan" is never referred to as Khan Noonien Singh anywhere in the film...

EXCEPT by Leonard Nimoy's Spock - who advises Spock that in the end they did defeat Khan - at great cost.

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Lord. Don't remind me. The "death is cheap" trope could make me perfectly happy by never showing up again.

By homaging the worst tendencies of the original? Well, whatever floats your boat I guess. :ack:

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, I like the original better than anything...and I don't make it out to be anything more than it is. I don't consider that anything done since TOS has improved on it in any way other than style. So, no problem.

12. thePhanatic

thePhanatic Guest

It wasn't like that. It was enough to fool Kirk & Spock only long enough for her to get on board the Enterprise (and only a few minutes later, Spock correctly surmises that she is in fact Carol Marcus.) She did not want her father to know she was on board.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Ah, thanks. Well, as long as it serves a purpose then I guess that's alright. It just seemed like a weird trend.

14. Gecko of Gorn

Gecko of Gorn Commodore Commodore

They could have solved that issue with some quick dialogue expose between Kirk and Khan, like:

Kirk: You don't look like the Khan from the history vids. You're pale, man.

Khan: I am a sub Continental supervillain, to be precise. I am pilfering your starship because I hurl it. I hurl it with a deadly accuracy. Khan Noonien Singh is my name. And yes, I know I don't have much of a tan and I speak in a British accent, but if you know your history it really does make perfect sense.

Stuff writes itself....

15. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does the Enterprise get destroyed?

16. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now, Now, it's 'Midi-chlorians,' in the magic blood don't ya know. ;)

17. drumvan

drumvan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

i've been looking forward to this movie soooo much. if it's actually confirmed that spock yells out "kkhhaaannn"!!! i'm just going to have to boycott. that's just the most shallow & un-original writing i can imagine. :(

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Nah, that's from that movie that sucks.

19. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

AbramsTrek is basically a cover band playing Star Trek's Greatest Hits. You understand that going in and it doesn't seem so dissapointing.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Making them bigger hits in the process. Nice trick for a cover band. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.