Favourite Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Favourite Doctor?

1. 1st Doctor-William Hartnel

3.0%
  2. 2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton.

13.0%
  3. 3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee

5.0%
  4. 4th Doctor-Tom Baker

21.0%
  5. 5th Doctor-Peter Davidson

2.0%
  6. 6th Doctor-Collin Baker

7.0%
  7. 7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy

6.0%
  8. 8th Doctor-Paul McGann

2.0%
  9. 9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston

8.0%
  10. 10th Doctor-David Tennant

21.0%
  11. 11th Doctor-Matt Smith

12.0%
  1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sylvester McCoy is far from abysmal. I love his Chaplin-esque touches and the dark mystery he bought to the character. He could be unconvincing sometimes when called upon to shout but that's because it didn't fit his character as well as the brooding menace he bought to it.

I rate Patrick Troughton as being far and away the best actor to have played the part. He's the only Doctor actor I'd put up there with the best of the craft.

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh. I think my ordering for the doctors would go like this (Bare in mind Troughton and C Baker keep swapping around)

#1-The 10th Doctor (David Tennant)
    #2-The 8th Doctor (Paul McGann)
    #3-The 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
    #4-The 2nd Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
    #5-The 6th Doctor (Colin Baker)
    #6-The 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
    #7-The 11th Doctor (Matt Smith)
    #8-The 4th Doctor (Tom Baker)
    #9-The 5th Doctor (Peter Davidson)
    #10-The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
    #11-The First Doctor (William Hartnel)

3. DalekJim

Not sure if this would really stick for more than a week but I'd rank them during my current mood and whim as:

1) Sylvester McCoy
    2) Tom Baker
    3) Patrick Troughton
    4) William Hartnell
    5) Colin Baker
    6) Jon Pertwee
    7) Matt Smith
    8) Christopher Eccleston
    9) Paul McGann
    10) Peter Davison
    11) David Tennant

I like them all though.

4. Green Lantern

I'm surprised David Tennant's you're least favourite.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

True. I'd add Matt Smith, but I'll reserve my judgement until he finds other roles and we all see what he's capable of.

6. DalekJim

He got screwed over by some very bad writing from Russell T. Davies that warped his character away from resembling The Doctor, but I think his acting is really good at times. See Midnight or Human Nature.

Doctor Who is essentially my religion and I love most of it so don't mistake me for a hater. It just looks like that because I love the other incarnations more, I'm still excited for Ten in the 50th.

7. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Pertwee, Smith and Davison are my top 3.

Tennant certainly did have the ability to play a truly great Doctor, I cant fault how he acted the part in the least but he was consistently let down by frankly crap writing.

8. DalekJim

I do think the 50th will rehabilitate the Tenth Doctor in fandom after the specials year severely diminished his popularity.

To the wider audience though, he's easily second only to Tom Baker.

9. Green Lantern

No no no, RTD did some great writing in doctor who, it's Moffatt who's ruining doctor who.

Human Nature and Midnight? Not at all my favourites, I hated human nature. The End of Time (the blonde Master one) has go to be my favourite DT storyline, I also liked the Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords (the Master three parter), the Stolen Earth/Journeys End (the Davros one), The Age of Steel/Rise of the Cybermen (The Cybermen one), The Planet of the Ood (the newer Ood one), The Lazarus Experiment, Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of The Daleks (the Human Dalek hybrid one), The Waters of Mars (the Flood one), and even the Judoon one.

10. Green Lantern

[​IMG]

Www..ww, what?

The specials (save for Planet of he Dead) were awesome! David Morrissey with David Tennant against the Cybermen was a great episode, plus it was an interesting story with a great cast.

The Waters of Mars was a good old fashioned base under siege story reminiscent of the Troughton and T Baker era. Plus the "hybrid" of the Ice Warriors, the Flood were cool.

The End of Time was amazing and is actually my second favourite doctor who story of all time! (just behind Logopilis) The Master going mad was an excellent idea, I love the blue skeletal thing going on with him, his "lightning bolts" were an awesome idea to make him a more physical villain, Wilf was a great companion in it, David Tennant's acting in it was as ever fantastic, Timothy Dalton was great as the head Timelord or something, and the regeneration scene was amazing, best regeneration ever!

11. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised this took 4 pages.

I've only seen a few of the Doctors, and the only two that have stood out to me as really great are Tom Baker and Matt Smith. Of the rest I've seen, I've either not seen enough of them (Hartnell, Troughton) or they've been so interchangeably bad or good that it's hard to rank them (Ecclestone, Tennant).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  12. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blast! Matt Smith is starting to trail. Clearly, it's time for me to creat a few sock puppets to set things right!

Er, that is to say, I hope things change soon.

13. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

It's cool, I just forgot to vote.

PS. I am definitely not Psion's sockpuppet.

14. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

The Seventh.

Starts off with Time and the Rani, the worst Doctor debut ever. Twin Dilemma is a bad story, but the characterization of the Doctor, the unstable, unpredictable madman, was great. TatR has a shit script, shit production AND a shit Doctor, both writing and unfortunately, acting wise.

Fortunately, McCoy and the character were nowhere near that bad for the rest of the season. In fact, he can actually be pretty good. By Remembrance of the Daleks, he's a genuinely great Doctor. By Season 26, he's my favorite Doctor.

By the time we get to the Virgin New Adventures, he is THE Doctor. The definitive one. Been re-reading many of my favorites in this series (surprised Lonemagpie said earlier he disliked 7 as he did quite well with him in Sanctuary, although on the other hand, he isn't anywhere near as magnetic on the page as Guy and Benny) and he's just got everything, everything that makes me love the character of the Doctor rolled up in one amazing package. The light, the darkness, the eccentric in-between, everything.

15. DalekJim

I think it's... kinda OK actually.

If I recall correctly the great Lawrence Miles doesn't like the Seventh Doctor either which is a shame as I loved Christmas on a Rational Planet. The only VNA authors I'm aware of that bum the Seventh Doctor as much as us two are Kate Orman and Paul Cornell.

16. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

If it's the interview I'm thinking of, I think he said the Seventh Doctor works better as literary character than on TV. I disagree as I love both, but he's said the VNAs are his favorite era of Who.

Yeah, both clearly adore the Seventh, which is why a story like Human Nature (the novel) works so well. It's constructed around him so that every scene works to the best possible advantage for this Doctor, which is why it's so funny that they later adapted it for another Doctor. The TV Human Nature is, for New Who standards, pretty well-made and is one of the very few that could be said to have anything close to a slow(ish) pace like the classic series, but it doesn't have nearly as much impact as the book as we've already seen Tennant's Doctor flirt and snog and do very human activities.

17. Green Lantern

Yeah, I agree that Human Nature would have worked better in McCoy's time than Tennant's. Plus personally, I don't think the slower pace adapts well into the new series as it did the old.

It also would have had more impact because until the eighth doctor, the doctor had not established a sexuality.

Would also have probably worked a bit better for Eccleston than Tennant.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Another one of these threads? Right then, here's my usual response:

Tom Baker. He was my first Doctor and therefore holds a special place in my heart. Plus, he played it for a very long time, so his image is just cemented in my mind as THE Doctor. However, I can't say that I dislike any of the Doctors, although I have only seen snippets of McCoy and only one or two episodes of Pertwee and Colin Baker. I am very fond of all three recent Doctors.

19. Green Lantern

Yeah, I've only seen 6 Hartnel serials, 4 Troughton serials, about 7 or 8 Pertwee serials, about 10-20 T Baker serials, about 7 Davison serials, every Colin Baker serial, about 6 McCoy serials, McGann's only appearance, every Eccleston episode, every Tennant episode, and every Smith episode.

Please not I am not including missing episodes or "minisodes". I've seen quite a few surviving episodes of missing serials.

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As always:

Question - Who is your favorite Doctor?

Answer - Yes, Who IS my favorite Doctor.

:)

Mark