SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Brent, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Grade The Greater Good

1. 10 Chevrons – Out of this Universe

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 9 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. 8 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. 7 Chevrons – Within our Solar System

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. 6 Chevrons – Can’t get past Earth (Average)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. 5 Chevrons – No flying machines at all

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. 4 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 Chevrons – Dark Ages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2 Chevrons – Throwing rocks and stones here

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 Chevron – Cannot Establish Lock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

Great episode. I hope this show doesn't get cancelled just as it starts to realize it's potential.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

good episode. wonder if Rush and Young can really put the past aside and work together. Rush could have easily let Young drift off into space. i also share the general wtf of the next episode preview. are the writers taking a page from Joss Whedon's book or something?

3. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great episode. I truly feel this should of been the final episode of season 1. If we could of squeezed out some episodes out of season 1 and put these in there instead then i feel the show would be in such better shape ratings wise.

Now we have a mission, and a crew in control of Destiny. Finally.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Great, great episode.

5. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

Say what you will about SGU so far, but the reveal of Destiny's mission - or at least a part of it - is epic stuff, handled in a subtle way. This is real hard sci-fi stuff, and the initial scope of the idea is way behind the usual crap you see in television sci-fi. There are many places they could take it, and it does immediately include another mystery:

If Destiny's role is to travel the universe and map the structure of the cosmic background radiation, why the trouble with a fleet of seed ships and stargates on every decent planet along the way? What importance do the individual planets have?

But what's more, consider now the "godlike" aliens who seemingly built the shelter-planet on which now resides the left-behind Destiny survivors (and the baby). Those aliens seem to exhibit seriously ascended or even perhaps beyond ascended power. Maybe they're a super ultra ancient race who has already figured out the big secret and plays the space-time skein like a fiddle? What do they think of these humanoid folks who are poking around looking for the same thing?

It also throws everything into question we've seen so far. There were claims originally that the first few seasons of SGU were mapped out and none of this is random. What about stuff such as the three crew members "lost" in the second episode via the random gate address? Perhaps they were picked up by omnipotent aliens themselves. What about the Blue Guys who were following Destiny specifically in the previous galaxy. Did they know about the mission, and wanted the data on the ship?

Perhaps various races in this part of the universe are aware of the godlike entities and are themselves researching how to attain that power.

Finally, another thought. How can this be spun into the mythology of the Ancients? I actually felt back in season 1 that SGU could be used to retcon the Ancients into being more meaningful than the frankly silly state they'd degenerated into by the time Atlantis was finished. At this point it almost seems as if the Milky Way Lantians who ascended made an error due to being pressed to ascend to save themselves. Those ascended post-humans have great individual power, but seem stuck in a stalemate with other relatively ascended beings who don't want to be involved with lesser races.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it retconned that the Milky Way Ancients are just one branch of the civilization, who made many mistakes. And the people who built Destiny where an older order who were more competent and thought bigger than merely ascension for personal power.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look at the poll. Great consensus so far.

7. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

F'ING SPOILER IMMEDIATELY AS THE CREDITS STARTED! WTF!?

8. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kill two birds with one stone.

9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Plus, those far reaches of the universe would be reachable easily with Stargates.

10. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

A return to form for SGU. Brought out the best of everything that the show has had to offer so far: space adventure, fantastic visual effects, more Rush, and the best guest star we've had so far.

I think the show works best when it evokes the wonder and mystery of ancient alien races and derelict alien spaceships. I only wish that it hadn't taken one and a half seasons to get to this point.

Y'know, if you cut out some of the filler stuff from the past season and a half and condense the storyline into that of one season, this show would have been consistently much more engaging up to now.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. Listener4

Listener4 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Best episode this season. If every episode was at this level this show could really go somewhere.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only because Eli is gonna be pissssssssed off.

13. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking that's what you get when you let the quadriplegic drive.

14. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Here is an excerpt from the script about the Mission, spoilers obviously but if you are reading this thread it shouldn't be an issue.

15. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Best episode of season two so far, probably in the top two or three episodes of the show overall.

When there is meaningful developments that are not imaginary or visions or whatever SGU can be pretty good.

Now...can they sustain the show at this level or better is the question? Or are we going to see the return of Earth/stone episodes and pop song montages?

16. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

That''s the big hooplah. The Universe has a creator?
    The Destiny is like millions of years old. They discovered Ascending ...is this sort of ...old news for ascended beings?

No wonder Destiny was abandoned.

17. kdalton_69

kdalton_69 Commander Red Shirt

This may be one of the best episodes of Stargate ever made. Compelling drama not just for the sake of plot, a BIG reveal, character development, stunning visual effects, and finally ELI GETS THE GIRL.

All that said, if T-Bag kills Ginn and they pull a Wesley-Fred I will not watch the show again. Eli has been through enough.

18. kdalton_69

kdalton_69 Commander Red Shirt

Just saw the preview for next week. They better figure out some way to get Ginn's mind back in that dead body. Now.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Ginn was really used to push the Eli/Chloe relationship to a new level. He's not going to be seen as the little lapdog anymore.

I think that's the rub and it's not the first show that has had the potential to skyrocket, whether they can do it or not is definitely a question (and as to whether Syfy will give them the time to do it even if the creators would).

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Just saw it. By and far one of the best episodes of SGU yet. If this show gets canned now, im gonna be pissed.