Figured it out! Post your STID theories here

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, Mar 14, 2013.

1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although a bunch of random theories are bouncing around in different threads, I thought I'd try to give them a dedicated thread. And to start things off, I'll post my own belief of what STID is about:

In 'Countdown to Darkness #3', a bunch of new info is revealed. We learn Robert April is supplying weapons to the losing side of a warring race -- their opponents, who would have otherwise committed genocide without April's intervention, are being supplied weapons by the Klingons.

We also learn that April is willing to risk putting the Federation at war with the Klingon empire by using the Enterprise's weapons to destroy the opposing alien army. He seizes control of the Enterprise by activating a sleeper program that gives him sole access to the ship's systems -- an algorithm carried over from the old Enterprise, which he said "I'd never lose my ship!"

So, my theory: the mystery Constitution class ship we see in the previews, the one which crashes into SF Bay, is April's Enterprise. And the person who commands it is April -- but not Robert. Rather, it's his son: John Harrison April. He will stop at nothing to destroy the Klingons, because he blames them for the death of his father (I think we'll see Robert April killed in issue #4). He's willing to put the entire Federation at war in order to wipe them out.

This nicely explains a number of things from the trailers, including why Harrison is sitting in a command chair that isn't obviously the new Enterprise's. And also, it gives very deep meaning to his voice-over line "is there nothing you wouldn't do for family?". Lastly, it explains why the prop in the Bad Robot offices was labeled "April's Gun". It is April's gun, just not the April we thought.

Comments welcome!

2. tippy

tippy Ensign Red Shirt

So when he says "you think your world's safe?", is he talking to the Klingons?

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know where the spoilers are and where my theory begins, so I'm just putting it in tags to make sure I don't ruin anybody's day.

Jim Kirk is demoted over the Prime Directive, scolded by Pike, but Pike saves his career by making his first officer. The line about "anything for family" has to do with the betrayal of an officer that causes Harrison to do damage. Pike is killed in the attack on London. Harrison has some paper-thin motivation for doing this, probably just wants to destroy the peaceful Federation. Kirk wants to find and capture Harrison, he does, but Harrison is too powerful and causes the end of the Enterprise and Kirk to lose a significant amount of his crew (from the ship turning the way it does). This may or may not lead to Spock's death.I think it will be stupid if they kill him in this movie. This leaves Kirk humbled for the first time since the bar incident, he defeats Harrison out of revenge, kills him, and then mourns what he's lost and the decisions he made. How the Klingons fit in? I think Harrison is on Kronos--I don't think it figures too deeply into the movie. As for who Harrison is, perhaps it's a set-up for the next movie, to have Khan at the end the way that they teased the Joker at the end of Batman Begins.

4. WarpFactorZ

Vis-a-vis this point:

I could see a possible introduction of Khan at the end with the plot I described. Capt April's Enterprise discovered the Botany Bay and quarantined the refugees. Knowing what it was, April took advantage of the advanced genetics and did some research of his own to produce his son: the genetically-superior John Harrison April ("I'm better at everything."). Khan and his crew are kept in stasis, with the plan to eventually release them and defeat the Klingon Empire completely... or possible overthrow the Federation.

I do agree that I can see a Joker-like teaser at the end of this film, as you describe it.

5. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

why has Harrison superhuman strength?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not giving it a high probability of happening, 20 percent, tops, but I can't get it out of my head that Kirk dies at the end of the movie. Scenes in the teasers and spoilers from the clips shown in Brazil added to my feeling that it could happen. Still, it's just a guess based on piecing together circumstantial observations.

We all know the scene in the trailer where Spock and someone in a black shirt are touching hands through a sheet of glass much like Kirk and Spock did in TWOK. A lot of speculation said because of the black shirt, it's most likely Harrison, and Spock is attempting some kind of mind meld through the glass of the brig. But hand to hand is not how a mind meld is done, and certainly not with the Vulcan salute.

So, here's the part about putting two and two together and probably getting five.
    -- First, the idea of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few was introduced by Spock in the first nine minutes, just as it was introduced early in TWOK. In this movie, I can't believe they'd just decide it was "cute" for Spock to say that, and leave that idea hanging without it portending something later in the movie, just as it did in TWOK.
    -- Second, a clip in the new teaser shows Kirk and Scotty running through a corridor during a red alert. It's quite possible that bit is during the five minute clip shown in Brazil where Kirk and Scotty go to engineering to try to stabilize (save) the Enterprise. What caught my eye about that is Kirk is wearing only his black shirt, and Scotty is wearing the uniform he has on in the teasers where he's obviously observing something deeply disturbing to him.
    -- Third, sacrifice seems to be a theme in the movie. Clarke's character sacrifices both his reputation and his life for his daughter; Harrison seems willing to sacrifice himself for a cause; Spock is willing to sacrifice himself rather than possibly break the PD. So, what's Kirk's sacrifice? Is he willing to make a sacrifice for his "family?"
    -- Fourth, OK, Kirk's death would be a big thing. So why show the hands between the glass clip as a possible giveaway? Don't know, other than it's possible they think few would believe it's Kirk, anyway. Or they just want people to think it could be.

Like I said, I'm more than likely wrong, but I can't shake the feeling it could be true.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. WarpFactorZ

Read the comment right above yours.

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

okay, okay, I get it.

that scene shows the cryogenic chamber could be the end of the movie, isnĀ“t it? Like Averengers

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kh-a-a-a-an!

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^

I'll say this for him: he's consistent. ;)

11. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Consistency is the hallmark of accuracy.

12. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

I will say this: the name of the actor who played the wicked Dr. Smith in Lost in Space was....

Johnathan Harris!

13. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His pattern indicates, two-dimensional thinking. :vulcan:

The only thing I assume will happen, is for
    Admiral Marcus' onscreen death to be have been faked, so he's removed from potential suspects in a Starfleet conspiracy.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Great theory, WarpFactorZ, it does indeed fit pretty well with what we know, or think we know, thus far. I think you may have something there.

15. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just thought of something. What if the ship going down isnt the enterprise and is the ship that spock was reassighned to. It would make sense beacuse the part where it is crashing into the bay it doesnt look like the enterprise. Also There was a interview on trek web where the producer of into darkness says are you sure its the enterprise falling through the atmosphere. Also spock is the captian of the ship during the falling sequence and orders an evacuation as the ship falls. Also its possible because kirk was demoted to first officer and spock is in cammand kirk could be spocks first officer.