can anyone recommend any tos books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Phantasy Star, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Phantasy Star

Phantasy Star Cadet Newbie

I just recently started a star trek book collections, so wanna hear if any one can recomened some great tos books?

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't really enjoy the TOS era novels as much as the 24th century books, but out of the recent ones I'd say try Allegiance in Exile and The Shocks of Adversity which are both very good - especially Shocks. Devils Bargain and The Weight of Worlds are also enjoyable in a very 'episodey' way.

I can't think of any others I've liked recently (I'm not counting the Dept of Temporal Investigations books).

3. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    You can't go wrong with the Crucible trilogy by David R. George III

4. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

The Final Reflection by John M. Ford
    - The best star trek book there is. Totally at odds with any trek from TNG onwards since it was written in the eighties. Not a typical tos book as kirk & the enterprise are barely in it, and used solely as a framing device.

Federation(TOS + TNG), by Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens.
    -It spans three eras and focuses on Zefram Cochrane(based on his TOS appearance, First Contact hadn't come out at this point). It feels like the kind of epic "The Motion Picture" tried and failed to be.

Memory Prime by Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens
    Great take on artificial intelligence and conspiracies.

Yesterday's Son/Time for Yesterday by Ann C Crispin
    A couple of great books that focus on Spock and a rather surprising relationship.

Spock's World by Diane Duane
    Deals with Vulcan -its past and what they think it's future should be. Includes an absolutely barnstorming McCoy speech.

Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane
    Kirk puts McCoy in the captains chair, and things spiral out of control from there. Some great aliens to boot.

The "Errand" series by Kevin Ryan
    -It's made up of two trilogies, Errand of Vengeance and Errand of Fury, which tell the story of the TOS era conflict between the federation and the Klingons, split into basically four viewpoints - a Starfleet command officer on earth, a security officer aboard the enterprise who is a Klingon infiltrator, an officer aboard a Klingon warship, and finally kirk.
    One of the best flowing, and most satisfying trek sagas I've read.
    Book order if you're interested:
    The Edge of the Sword
    Killing Blow
    River of Blood
    Seeds of Rage
    Demands of Honor
    Sacrifices of War

Also, not strictly TOS, but close - Where Sea Meets Sky by Jerry Oltion, which is a very enjoyable cap'n pike exploration tale with a nautical feel. Was part of the "captains table" series, but doesn't require reading any of them.

5. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favorite TOS book is Barbara Hambly's "Crossroad".

6. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the works of AC Crispin and Diane Duane. There are many more excellent examples, but Crispin and Duane will hook you and then you'll seek out more anyway.

7. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ex Machina.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The Galactic Whirlpool - David Gerrold
    The Entropy Effect - Vonda McIntyre
    The Wounded Sky - Diane Duane (actually anything with her name on it)
    Rules of Engagement - Peter Morwood
    How Much for Just the Planet? - John Ford
    Prime Directive - Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far I've only read 3 TOS novels, Troublesome Minds, Strangers from the Sky, and Spock's World, and I really enjoyed all three of them.
    There also some semi-TOS books that are worth checking out:
    The Vanguard series: A 7 ( and two e-book novella) series following a TOS era space station in an unexplored and mysterious region of space. It's a fascinating, morally complex story dealing with galactic history, and interplanetary politics. Seriously amazing stuff.
    The Lost Era: The Sundered: An Excelsior story dealing with the Tholians and a new alien race.
    Excelsior: Forged in Fire: Another Excelsior story by the guys who wrote The Sundered. This time they're dealing with the beginning of Sulu captaincy of the Excelsior, and the origins of the Klingon Captains' conflict with The Albino in the DS9 episode "Blood Oath".
    The Lost Era: Serpents Among the Ruins: This one deals with the Enerprise-B and tells the story of The Tomed Incident referred to in TNG.
    The Lost Era: The Art of The Impossible: Follows numerous characters through the 16 year Betreka Nebula Incident involving the Klingons and Cardassians. Featured characters include Curzon Dax, Mogh, Elias Vaughn, Sarek, Enabrin Tain, and many more familiar faces.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a tall order. TOS books go back to Blish in 1970s all the way up to today. Hundreds of titles spanning decades.

You looking for all time greats? Highlights from the past few years? Recent titles?

11. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    There are many many great TOS books. Two recent ones that are now among my favorites:

Ex Machina by Christopher L Bennett
    Forgotten History by Christopher L Bennett

Both are set just after TMP. Forgotten History is a prequel/sequel to Christopher's DTI: Watching the Clock, but it stands on its own well (But I highly recommend Watching the Clock. Its not TOS, but it is great).

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You should check out William Shatner's novels. They're a combination of TOS and TNG with Kirk, Spock, Scotty and McCoy having adventures in the 24th century after "Star Trek Generations".

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Corona By Greg bear. Mere Anarchy and the Tos Mere Anarchy short story collection A choice of Catastrophies Micheal Shuster &Steve Mollman.Grag Cos's tos novels are really good Spock's world by Diane Duane The wounded sky also by Diane Duane The Shocks of Adversity William Leisner.

14. Phantasy Star

Phantasy Star Cadet Newbie

Thank you guys, now i have some books to look for.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tos Constellations TOS story anthology is really good so are The Myriad Universe story anthologies. Unspoken Truth by James Swallow and Inception.