Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge GoT fan, so I would love to see Emilia Clarke get the role.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The problem with IM2 was that it felt like there was barely any Iron Man scenes.

Also the action was very mediocre. Avengers had much better Iron Man action scnes!

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In the comics the Carters were an old Virginia family.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And the Xaviers were from New York. The movies aren't the comics.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

And? In the movies, Peggy is British, so Sharon will presumably be as well.

Oh, and to amend my earlier statement, Teresa Palmer is Australian, not British, but she's also done accents.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Just found it interesting that they made her British rather than American. I enjoyed the character and the actress. Though I wonder if she became British because of the actress cast. Is there any line in the film that comments on her nationality? IIRC, they first meet in America.

7. Christopher

I believe that when General Tommy Lee Jones introduces her, he says she's on special assignment from British intelligence or some such organization. But that could certainly have been written into the script after Atwell was cast.

But I'm used to nationality changes in Marvel movies by now. We've had a British Xavier, an American Mystique, Colossus, and Banshee, a Storm who only briefly had any trace of an African accent, an American CIA-agent Moira McTaggert, an Irish Bullseye, maybe others.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mystique isn't American? I don't think any of the versions of the character I've come across have ever had any kind of accent ('90 animated series, Evolution, Wolverine and..., the movies)?

9. Christopher

Mystique was married to a German baron when she gave birth to Nightcrawler, so I figured she was European. But on further examination, I find that her original nationality is unknown. So I suppose she could be American, but since she could be from a lot of different places and is known to have spent a lot of the 20th century in Europe, I'm not comfortable assuming she's from America. Given her long experience at changing identities, I imagine she's very good with accents too, so her accent wouldn't necessarily reveal anything about her origins. (Particularly in a TV or film adaptation, which can change a character's background and origins as needed.)

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Storm was born n New York and spent most of her growing up years in Cairo and Kenya so I'd suspect her accent in the first X-Men movie wasn't that far off.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Unless, of course, it interferes with her ability to make more GOT!

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I could see her as Wasp. She's dating the director, so it's a definite possibility. :lol:

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

No, it was definitely deliberate. The three finalists for the part were all English. Part of them trying to broaden the film's international appeal.

14. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Sharon could always have been born in the USA - I mean just because Peggy was British doesn't mean she didn't immigrate officially after the war. Or that the state department didn't want her to remain in the US after WW2 ended.

I just hope Sharon is the kickass spy type she was in the comics! I'd hate for Sharon to be that waitress...

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^The waitress's name tag read "Beth".

16. Nick Ryder

Could have been a cover...

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, if it's a cover, then that would mean that she IS a kick-ass spy and then Sharon being the waitress wouldn't be a bad thing after all. ;) That said, I also hope that the waitress isn't Sharon.

18. Nick Ryder

I mean the waitress was cute but I mean if she's meant to be the niece (or grand/daughter) of Peggy - then I mean... could be someone a bit better.

Or maybe she was just a kinda cute waitress that Steve-o 'dances with'.

19. Christopher

The waitress was Ashley Johnson, an actress Joss Whedon likes working with in recent years. She was in the original Dollhouse pilot, but got cut out, so Whedon then wrote her into the first-season finale in a major role. She's also in the cast of Whedon's film version of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. (Plus she's the voice of Gwen Tennyson on Ben 10 and before that was Terra on Teen Titans.)

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Shame they cut out the Captain America scene

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehn8RqOt7U[/YT]

[​IMG]

It was a minor plot hole because the waitress just stares at Steven Rogers when he's unmasked.