Podcast suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AntonyF, Mar 14, 2012.

1. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Can anyone recommend any audio podcasts? I'm about out, and need something. :) I'm after more talk rather than music.

To give an idea on what I've tried/my tastes:

Smodcast. Loved it, but finally pulling the plug due to drop in quality.
    Freakanomics. Love it, but listened to them all.
    T3 podcast. My favourite, mostly because of the presenters.
    ESPN UFC podcast. Does what it says on the tin.
    Radio 6 Introducing... love this podcast, but am after a more talk podcast rahter than more music.

Ones I dropped...
    Comedy Nerds. Not sure why I dropped that actually... maybe not enough people of interest.
    Answer Me This. Bloody annoying.
    And one I can't remember his name... but he did about 20 minutes of ranting, then interesting interviews. Trouble is they were too frequent and wish he'd split the ranting from the interviews.

I think a key thing for me is that I don't like them too frequent, or I feel swamped and it becomes a chore.

Not sure if above is enough detail, but suggestions welcome. :)

2. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

The latest Joy of 6 podcasts feature material from Peter Serafinowicz's current 6 Music show. Best to catch them as soon as you can, if only for Terry Wogan's Pirate Radio Show :guffaw:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/joyof6

Other than that, even if you're not a film fanatic, the Kermode and Mayo Film Reviews podcast is always entertaining even if (and especially if) you don't agree with their opinions. The current archive goes back to September 2010:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/kermode

The BBC has a lot of archived podcasts, including whole radio series available "indefinitely." For example try the popular science show The Infinite Monkey Cage with Robin Ince and Prof. Brian Cox:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/timc/all

Not necessarily for everyone, but I also listen to the Lancet weekly podcast and Lancet Infectious Diseases monthly podcast:
    http://www.thelancet.com/audio

Other than that, I've recently been listening to some of the Guardian podcasts as well, especially Science Weekly and Tech Weekly. Have a look around:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/audio

Finally, for general and current pop culture discussion, I've also started listening to OverthinkingIt.com
    http://www.overthinkingit.com/category/podcast/

3. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Trek podcats:
    G and T show.

If you are a sociald democrat i recommand the Left Business Obsever.

If you are an Sw fan check out the Forcecast.

4. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

The Bugle is done by John Oliver of The Daily Show and Smurfs fame and Andy Zaltzman who wasn't in Smurfs, so good for him. It's a fun, entertaining and British take on the news. It's a weekly, there's not a lot of back log since they just became independent.

If you like comedians talking about comedy and stuff WTF with Marc Maron is usually pretty good. But it might be the one you were talking about.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. AntonyF

Thanks for all these suggestions. I am going to work my way through them all.

I must admit I'm *very* quick to decide on podcasts... maybe too fast. It's also hard when a podcast has been going a while as it can be be quite "in jokey". I think the T3 podcast is one a bit like that, but I love it. But when listening to a new podcast I don't always like that situation. So it's chicken and the egg... gotta be patient to begin to understand it. But I'm not patient. :)

Listened already to the Joy of 6 from the above. Didn't like it... even though I love Peter Serafinowicz.

Started listening to Over Thinking It. Run out of commute, but I don't think I could last with that because one guy shouted and his microphone was clearly louder than the other. So I'd bring down the volume to make him comfortable to the ears, then couldn't hear the other guy. Not sure if that's a one-off issue though, need to investigate.

Told you I was fussy. :D

Yep, that's the one I was on about but couldn't think of his name! If he separated his bit from the interview bit, and had less of them, I think I'd have stuck with him. A couple of his interviews were really interesting - even though I had no clue who the other person was.

7. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The Nerdist sounds like it'd be right up your alley. I particularly liked the interviews with Neil Gaiman, Neil deGrasse Tyson and Danica McKellar--those were all fantastic podcasts IMO.

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
  9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Adam Carolla Show
    Kevin Pollock's Chat Show
    Sklarbro Country
    Nerdist
    How Stuff Works

Can't go wrong with any of those.

10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

My favorite podcast ever is Filmspotting. A spin-off dedicated to streaming movies and television was recently launched, Filmspotting: SVU.

For another movie podcast that's much more rough (i.e., less production and polish), I know the hosts of a small podcast called Oops, All Movies!. I also know a few people who just started a video game podcast called Co-Op Mode. For comic books, I know the hosts of Distinguished Comic Book Podcast.

11. AntonyF

Ahh that's the one I meant, not Comedy Nerds.

I gave up on that, but can't entirely remember why!

12. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Blogingheads is a great nonpartisan political podcast.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  13. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my... oh, fuck it, it's my favorite podcast.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

My Brother, My Brother and Me is excellent. I'd link it, but I'm on an iPad -- screw that noise.

15. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

They can be really hit or miss, and I generally focus on the ones with guests I'm interested in (and sometimes those guests are boring as sin too).

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I used to Listen to Filmspotting, took some time off, and now I'm listening to it again. Apparently, they got a new host, but the format of the show is pretty much the same. I enjoy it, and I also enjoy the SVU episodes so far.

I listen to mostly sports podcasts so I don't know if I can offer any good ones. I guess the one that's somewhat close to both sports and other interests is the BS Report (He even interviewed the President a few weeks ago). There are some really great interviews there, like the recent ones with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

17. AntonyF

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That has given me PLENTY to try.

So far:
    Love of 6 - too odd, thumbs down.
    Overthinking It - too noisy, thumbs down.
    Mark Kermode - only listened to some of an ep, but I think it's a thumbs up... I like their presenting style which is key for me.
    Life After Trek - know it wasn't a suggestion, but I remembered reading about it on TrekToday - really enjoyed Natalia Nogulich interview and look forward to more.

All these suggestions really reinforce my decision to drop Smodcast. Why labour through hours in the hope of the odd gem when there's so much out there.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I miss Matty, but once upon a time I missed Sam too. Josh Larsen was a worthy choice to take up the second seat when Matty decided to move on, and Michael Phillips now guest hosts once a month too.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know. Larson does seem to bring some very interesting insight (especially this last week's episode when they were talking about Pulp Fiction) and I respect Phillips as well so it's cool that he's on at the end of the month. I think the thing I don't like about the show is I'm not sure if their humor is forced or not. Some of the jokes they say come across as kind of lame, but that's a minor thing.

20. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain