Top Gun in IMAX 3D

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by flipjack, Feb 8, 2013.

1. flipjack

flipjack Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just got back from this. Cool to see it in the theater again, but I don't think the 3D really added anything to it.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't expect it to. Sad thing is though, I got the impression that the reaction to this would spur further development in a sequel (which I *would* want to see), so I'm not optimistic...

Mark

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Top Gun will always have a special place in my heart. But I'm sorry, I will never feel the need for 3-D.

4. flipjack

flipjack Lieutenant Red Shirt

The thing is, it didn't detract from it either. I wouldn't buy a 3D Blu Ray of it, but to see it in a theater again was still good.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, there goes my joke...

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I was thinkin' of goin' to see it later this week, since it is only playin' for a week.

Watched it quite a few times on VHS as a kid, never have seen it on a theater screen.

3D & Imax-ish makes it all the better, I think, for a first time viewin'.

7. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I'm going Saturday with a friend. The sheer ridiculous factor of a 3d IMAX re-release of Top Gun is hard to pass up.

This one holds a sentimental place in my heart though. This movie played constantly on television when I was a kid, and it had a lot of impact on my sugar addled brain. I even had the NES game.

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't understand the appeal that movie apparently continues to hold. Even in a corny/ironic/so-bad-it's-good way. I was only 16 when it came out and it was probably the most eye-rolling I did at a movie that year. The aerial footage was good, though, I have to admit.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just rewatched it at home the other day. Man, what an awesome movie. It's just chock full of quotable, funny, testosterone-fuelled, cliche-ridden dialogue. And cool jets. WTF more could anyone want from a movie?

It still has my favourite all-time line in any movle: "And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!"

I mean, who talks like that? Wonderful! :guffaw:

Haven't seen the IMAX 3D version, but even at home, it remains great popcorn fun.

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I went to see it last night. And while the flyin' sequences are still awesome, the 3D did absolutely nothin' for any part of the movie not involvin' the planes.

Also, did y'all know Tim Robbins was in this movie?!? Read the openin' credits to see how far down the list Meg Ryan was at the time & spotted his name. Had to read the closin' credits to figure out who he was!

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yes. :techman: