The official Michael Dorn weight loss thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Oct 19, 2011.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ok so there had to be one.

I think several things are clear...

1)Dorn is pretty tall, but doesn't have an overly large frame.

2) He was padded over the years, this padding seemed to increase in later seasons.

3) Dorn filled out a bit, but not to excess on his own over the years.

What seems likely is that Dorn, who does look somewhat smaller these days, decided to trim down a bit. I don't see anything to suggest he's ill, but know one seems to know for sure.

RAMA

2. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

He became a vegan.

It's not a choice I'd make, but it worked well for him. Though he now looks like Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.

3. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

He has a recurring role on "Castle" as Beckett's shrink and looks EARLY TNG trim!

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thread is useless without pics???

5. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Oh man...watching that video I would have had NO IDEA he was Worf. Kudos to Mr. Dorn for being a good enough actor to pull that off.

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Handsome man. He looks good on it, I'd say.

7. Saxman1

My wife, who loves RIker/Frakes when he's fit, said Dorn was certainly handsome enough to have pulled off the Riker role...and that voice! Per her: :drool::drool::drool:

8. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Michael Dorn :D

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ah that explains it vegans almost always look ill. My sister tried to become a vegan years ago, and she kept getting sick, she even had to go to a doctor for low blood pressure...he prescribed Gatorade for her.:lol:

10. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah Dorn did put on weight as TNG progressed, and you really noticed it on DS9. But it didn't detract from his Klingon appearance...

11. Saxman1

True, not a totally negative impact on the Klingon persona, but it was REALLY noticable when he played Willie Mays in "Far Beyond The Stars."

However, even at his worst, he never packed on the pounds like Frakes. Holy smoke! :eek:

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

He was very thin when we had him last October at Hollywood Xpo, it was hard to be it was him.

13. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

His new figure ages him.

14. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

haha...that's what makes TATV least convincing as a TNG era episode, in my opinion!

At least with Worf and Riker they were aging so weight gain made sense. Whereas with Data Spiner's weight gain (even if it was loss than others) really takes away from your suspension of disbelief.

15. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry, but it is so un-Klingon listening to Michael Dorn talk about dressing up veggie burgers :lol

But, I think he looks good and if he's healthier then that's all that matter.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I cannot imagine removing meat entirely form the diet. I cannot condemn Mr. Dorn from doing this as it is a life choice, however from nutirtion point of view, I do not agree with the vegan lifestyle. Protein is too important to ignore and just getting it from pa,nt based products - i.e. nut etc. - is just too limiting. My wife and I do not always have meat - we eat vegetarian as well - but we do not exclude meat either. To each, their own.

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about. I don't know how many vegetarians there are on the Earth, but it must be many thousands. I haven't ingested any animal flesh for over 30 years, and I'm constantly being told that I look at least 10 years younger than my age. That, of course, could be partly genetics, but I am generally very healthy. Other than the occasional slight head cold, and now aching joints in my old age, I couldn't be healthier. I've also lifted weights for 30 years, and I don't think I look sickly.

I don't see what's limiting about a vegetarian diet. I get plenty of protein from plant-based products. Often my choices in restaurants are limited, but those restaurants have lost me as a regular customer, and there are plenty of veg-friendly restaurants to choose from.

I also have avoided the diabetes that are on both parents' sides of the family.

Doug

18. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

It could just be that Dorn worked out a lot in the TNG run. But his build in Heart of Glory relative to Birthright Pt. II is noticeable. Even still, in both TNG and DS9 he was never fat. :techman: The only fat actor/actress ever in Trek was James Doohan (in the films at least).

But Dorn has aged better than Frakes. I saw "Captain's Chair" the other day, and boy he's grown. :eek:

19. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I agree, though I think there is a considerable amount of padding on Dorn in Birthright in order to make him look more muscular. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dorn was almost always padded, which is why (even with all the sex Worf gets to have on DS9) we never see what any part of him looks like under that uniform.

20. andrewN

andrewN Cadet Newbie

Losing weight take a lot of time, effort and money. Americans spend millions every year on weight loss plans, books and gadgets. Here is another, introduced at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in Jan. The HAPIfork might be the most costly piece of silverware you will ever buy. But if it helps to curb tendencies to overeat in some, it may be worth its weight in gold. Source of article: Electronic HAPIfork.