TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well, I guess I'm a TNG fan, but I always liked DS9 better. TNG had its share of good shows, but I was more of a fan of the big story arcs, myself.

2. RustyHicks

RustyHicks Ensign Newbie

Another fan added to the club.
    My favorite characters are
    Riker
    Picard
    Dr. Crusher
    Worf
    and Tasha Yar

I like the episodes,
    I borg
    New phase
    Best of both worlds 1,2
    Time's arrow 1,2
    and Deja Q
    The list just goes on and on.
    I also enjoy TOS and most of the movies.

3. kakashi76767

kakashi76767 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

well, i think the main reason i love the show is its coziness factor!! think about it - the brightly lit hallways and workplaces, everyone walking around in their pajamas, the constant and soothing humming of the engine, the stars are always out... i just want to jump in the screen and live there! i loved the entire cast nearly equally, so i'll list my favorite guests: Q, Kern, Damok, the traveller (i heard he has great insurance) and the dude who escaped that prison planet.

STNG was by far the best trek of them all. lots of people outright hate the characters of wesley, beverly and deanna, and, while i agree they are not the best characters, they are so much better then major kira, sisko, dax, neelix, janeway, and kim, all of whom are either entirely devoid of personality or are irritating to the point of destraction. i mean cmon, i got so tired of kira's constant state of agitation that i stopped watching the show for quite a long time. i know a woman like that in real life and let me tell you, she is no fun at all. shes never really worried, or happy, or compassionate, or loving, or funny, or silly, just ANGRY. i also dont like the gloomy lighting used on those shows. so, to sum up, STNG is a timeless classic i will never get tired of!

4. Who_Trek

Who_Trek Commander Red Shirt

I watched TOS as a boy lying on my parents bed. Don't know how I actually got started, just one of those things. I watched "Batman" too, but I never got attached -- Star Trek, on the other hand, fell on my head like a boulder.

ST:TNG started just after high school, and I remember being in my family's rec room, watching "Encounter at Farpoint" with my friends and my girlfriend (whom I met due to a "Vulcans never bluff" pin she was wearing on her fluffy pink sweater). Picard and Data are / were the most fascinating characters for me. I liked Riker and his bead, Geordie and his visor. Worf, it took me a long time to warm up to him (I thought he really hit his stride in DS9), and the doctor just never managed to hook me like, say, Bashier and "The Doctor" did. Weasly I could take or leave. I have been rewatching TNG over the last month from the begining, and find the earlier seasons are much better than I remember.

For me, DS9 in the best ST show. I liked all of them, but somehow, DS9 captivated me were TNG merely fascinated me, if you know what I mean.

5. Mtaco

Mtaco Cadet Newbie

I am an avid DS9 fan, but just spent the last month marathoning every single episode of TNG and am now re in love with Picard and crew. Just joined the ranks of ya'll and hope to continue.

Favorite episodes of TNG
    Tapestry
    Family
    The First Duty
    Cause and Effect
    The Pegasus
    All Good Things...
    Chain of Command
    The Best of Both Worlds
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    Redemption

6. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I may not count to most of you. I'm very big on the Next Gen period starting late in season one, through the first third or so of season four. Even those seasons were only intermittently great, to me. If I liked the idea of being called a "fan", I'd say I was a fan of the first half of Next Gen, not the second.

Favorites:

Q Who
    BoBW part 1
    Measure of a Man
    The Most Toys (because of the end, really)
    Yest's Ent
    El Dear Data
    Conspiracy
    Datalore
    Brothers

I'm blanking on titles.

7. Chris_Moderato

Chris_Moderato Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I grew up on TNG. I love TNG. It's a bit cerebral at times, and the idea that the only thing people do in the future in their free time is research and perform plays is a little questionable. Still, I always enjoy TNG.

And Enterprise. I don't care. I loved most of Enterprise too. I didn't care for the Pegasus crossover at the end though...ruined two episodes in one.

8. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Welcome to all the new folks posting in the TNG forum. :D

Yeah, TATV isn't much to brag on. When it first aired a few years ago, I didn't care for it much, but I didn't have the immense amount of hatred for it ENT fans did at that time. A month or so ago, I watched the 4th season of ENT again on DVD, and TATV sucked a lot more the 2nd time around. It had some good ideas, but was very poorly written.

9. Chris_Moderato

Chris_Moderato Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One thing that makes it hard to watch is that they essentially added a filter to Enterprise. By telling the story from the point of view of TNG characters, and then having those characters "fast-forward" through scenes, detracted from the integrity of the Enterprise "universe". The fact is, you are no longer "there" with the Enterprise crew as the events unfold, you are instead what, 200 years in the future? So, the TNG characters know what happens before you do. Add that to the fact that, considering this takes place during The Pegasus, you the viewer already know Riker and Troi's futures, and you have one colossal story-telling mess.

I digress, however. I realize this has probably been discussed to death in the Enterprise forum, and that this is the TNG forum. It's just fresh in my mind, having only recently finished ENT. Thank you for your collective patience.

10. crocarb

crocarb Cadet Newbie

I differ from a lot of you in only discovering TNG a few years ago. I had always grouped all those science fiction shows in one basket, until I watched a few episodes of TNG late at night, and found myself hugely enjoying them. I have never really found any of the other Star Treks to have quite the same depth, more resembling crappy soap operas, and, of course, none of them have the divinely titillating Commander Worf. Oh that voice...

11. TrueQ

TrueQ Lieutenant Red Shirt

Love TNG. The first time I heard about it was when I was like 5 years old and Jean-Luc Picard was my first love. A couple years ago, my father decided to watch all Star Trek series so I joined him and found that Star Trek is my favorite show. Fav eps: Chain of command, All good things, all Q-s eps...

12. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First glimpse of TNG, was the season premiere. As like a 7 year old kid, I was perplexed but also interested.

But my first real episode that I remember was Best of Both Worlds. That pretty much got me hooked.

13. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

I always liked the episodes when Troi's Mother comes on board. You get to see Troi go to pieces and absolutely almost go insane :)

But my favorite one is always is going to be "Naked Now." and "Second Chances"

Classic quote. (from Naked Now)
    --
    [trying to seduce Data]
    Lt. Tasha Yar: You are fully functional, aren't you?
    Lt. Cmdr. Data: Yes.
    Lt. Tasha Yar: How fully?
    Lt. Cmdr. Data: In every way of course. I am programmed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of pleasuring.
    Lt. Tasha Yar: You jewel. That's exactly what I hoped.
    --

Nathaniel --

14. stuartball

stuartball Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am a big fan of TNG. I was 15 when it first aired!! I am currently working through the DVD set again. Currently about to watch "Inheritance" in Season 7.

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

You're gonna be popular here@

16. starfleet_at_E1

starfleet_at_E1 Cadet Newbie

Hi am new to this forum. I am a major Trek fan but TNG has to be my favorite. Of all the charaters I think that Dr. Polaski is my favorite. lol just kidding. I think it would have to be Ensing Roe Larin. She doesn't take crap from anyone and she's hot!

17. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Hello, please call me Ms Sweden 2008 :)

Anyway, I want to tell you that I am not you. :)

18. jimbo1973

jimbo1973 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Gang!! Just Joined up and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is jim and I live in Alabama. Been a TNG fan since its premiere. havent been to a convention in ages, but remeber how much fun they were..I DID get the privieldge of seeing jimmy Doohan twice!!! Got to actually sit and talk ih him once.. He was a very animated individual and was very saddened to see him pass. anyway just thought I'd say hi.

19. idreamedmusic

idreamedmusic Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

*waving*

Just joined and thought I'd introduce myself as well.
    I grew up on TOS (reruns ;) ) and then got into TNG big time on its original run here in Germany. As usual, life happened and I sort of fell out of Trek fandom, though I did catch the movies at the cinema.
    Admittedly, I never got into the other shows post-TNG, though I saw a fair share of DS9 and the first season of ENT. TNG is still my favorite, though.

I've recently started rewatching the show and remembered why I used to love it so much. Glad to have found this place, so I hope to be able to stick around some ;)

20. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

I'm 25 and remember first getting into TNG back in grammar school. It was the first ST I ever watched (of course) and so is the first and best in my opinion.

My favorite character was/is Troi. She was the "hottie" of the show so of course being young and a boy I liked her the best.

BTW...never knew Troi had a wig until ST:FC!!! Bummmer