Novels with advertising?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by FreddyE, Sep 20, 2013.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Has anybody ever come across Trek novels that included advertising?

This happend to me only once and it was disgusting. It was a TNG Novel, where Data becomes human. In one chapter he uses the replicator to order soup. It went something like this:

Data ordered some hot soup from the replicator. - Interlude - While Data is getting something to eat, why not take a break and treat yourself to some nice hot 5-Minute Instant Soup (Insert your local brand of redicously overpriced instant garbage here)?

The advertising wasn´t a flyer or anything like that, it was printed in the regular font of the novel and inserted right into the text flow.

Thoughts?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I thought you meant the one-page ads for the Official Fan Club, or SF lit magazine subscriptions, or the novel backlist.

Sounds like a joke to me. I have read "Metamorphosis" twice, but a looooong time ago, and I can't say I remember such a scene.

It doesn't even sound like Jean Lorrah's sense of humour to me, although this novel did suffer through its problems with Richard Arnold - and I guess it's possible that it was an in-joke he didn't notice, and people forgot to remove... like the "R. Arnold" tombstone in a Peter David Comic Annual (DC Series I, #3).

3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

It was the german translation and it really looked like something put in by the editor of the german edition. And it was for a real product too.

4. Therin of Andor

Well, that would have been a helpful bit to add. It's tricky for Paramount, the Star Trek Officer and Viacom-now-CBS Products to scrutineer all manuscripts that aren't in English.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, they did that for a while.

But it's not like it is not easily identifiable as advertising:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's really weird. It had all those blacked-out lines like a classified memo?

7. Defcon

Yep, took those pics of my copy of Metamorphosis just a couple minutes ago, and it certainly wasn't me who blacked out those lines. :rommie:

Probably some kind of requirement for being allowed to do the ads. That way it is easily recognizable as not belonging to the actual novel.

8. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a hilarious little artifact ... and it's so odd that they'd pick an android of all the characters to enjoy their soup product.

Maybe if it was Picard: "Computer, tea ... belay that, 5 Minuten Terrine, hot."

9. Defcon

Well it's a novel where he is transformed into a human, so it makes sense. It was done in some other novels as well. For example I remember for some odd reason that in one Uhura was the one eating (or craving?) the soup.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen anything like that in a novel before. Is/was this common in Germany?

11. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never encountered that anywhere, at least. I doubt readers took kindly to it.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

With the ad, did they actually make it "flow" with the rest of the story though? Or did it feel like you were reading MacBeth and you got to one of the scenes with Hecate where the "flow" completely changed?

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I'd hardly call that an advertisement.

It's in Metamorphosis, page 153 at the bottom and going over to the next page. In all, it's four lines, describing thirteen varieties of soup. None of them are brand names.

You're reading WAY too much into it. Calm down and just read the book. And stop seeing conspiracies to sell you soup.

EDIT. Why didn't you say German version and provide the screenshots from the beginning? Although I note with interest that the paragraph sizes in the blacked out sections match perfectly with the paragraphs on the opposite page.

14. Therin of Andor

Well FreddyE was working from memory. It sounded like he didn't have the book handy. Defcon kindly supplied the bizarre ads.

Now that we've seen them we, too, can find them hard to believe. ;)

I've seen clever ads in magazines that pretended to be articles, but these are... weird.

15. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I remember Diane Duane telling me about a similar thing in the German edition of one of her TOS novels, where a Romulan Commander stops off to make soup in the middle of an exposition scene...

16. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha, that's actually a really interesting find. I am torn between being horrified, and wanting to track down copies of these books for posterity.

17. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

This sounds hilarious and I wish we got these in English.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before we know it Chevy will be listed as manufacturing the Enterprise... and Ford got the shuttle contract... which would explain a lot of the accidents.

19. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

"Tea, Earl Gr- no, this situation demands an alternative. Computer, coffee, Folger's Instant Crystals, hot."

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"We've replaced Mr. Scott's dilithium crystals with Folger's Crystals. Let's see if he can tell the difference."