New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But he wasn't the show's mastermind, just a subordinate. He'd compare to someone like Sevarius or Wolf. The masterminds in Spectacular Spider-Man were Osborn and Tombstone, though I believe it was Tombstone (who was reimagined as basically the show's surrogate Kingpin) who was the Xanatos-like schemer.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Does Osborn really count since he went all psycho Green Goblin in the end and hooked up a whole bunch of pumpkin bomb launchers and stuff in the end?

3. Christopher

^I'm not sure. I honestly don't remember the show's portrayal of Osborn well enough to say.

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Heh, I'm the same way and I wasn't even born until 1987. I was at the upper edge of the youngest and most toy-oriented demos back when Episode I came out in '99 and while I enjoy the prequel films reasonably well enough and respect that The Clone Wars blossomed into a good show I've just never been able to care nearly as much as I do for the OT era. There's something timeless and irresistible about the against-all-odds swashbuckling space opera of that style.

That's why I beamed a bit upon seeing those TIE Fighters. I can't wait for this show.

Also, seconding the shout-out to your avatar. I spent more time with X-Wing, TIE Fighter and XvT as a kid than I did with almost anything. Only JRPGs, Star Trek and soccer occupied more of my time, and even then just barely.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And by the same token, we should hesitate to act as if anyone defending the prequels on any level must be some misguided millennial or Hannah Montana fan or something. I was right there at the drop in 1977 myself, watching the film, playing with the toys, reading the comics.

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

A teaser will air on Disney XD Monday night, during the premiere of Mighty Med at 8:30 PM EST. It will be released online shortly thereafter.

TheForce.net

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sweet on that teaser and this thread being alive. I want to discuss the fuck out of this new series.

Edit: Oh, snap!
    "We're also told that the teaser will not include any actual clips from Rebels." - TFN
    Hmmm... anyone walk to talk about Yavin IV?

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Thanks for that heads up, Chris. I hadn't heard about this teaser at all and nobody else had mentioned it just yet.

9. Deimos Anomaly

Deimos Anomaly Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't really get much out of a 15 second teaser. At least half of it is likely just to be titles and ominous music, or Vader's breathing or some such.

10. Christopher

If you got much out of it, they wouldn't call it a teaser...

11. cooleddie74

Teasers are meant to be brief and get people talking, little more. I don't expect it to be an expansive, old school Hollywood trailer but it's nice to know we're getting a tease and peek at the show a year ahead of the debut.

12. Deimos Anomaly

Deimos Anomaly Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think there might be some kinda stuff talked about it at NYCC as well. Not sure if there will be any kinda reveal though.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

15. cooleddie74

The new Rebels action figure packaging reminds me of the Legacy Collection and Clone Wars packaging from 2008. A big trooper helmet with the figure bubble attached to the front.

I have to admit, it's not too bad. It conveys a "this is an animated series" message without looking too tacky and little-kid-focused, plus it's a classic OT Stormtrooper helmet and that means a lot to a lot of old school Star Wars fans who prefer the original films and adventures set in that timeframe to anything in the Prequel and Clone Wars eras.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have there been any character renders yet? That's what I'm curious to see.

17. cooleddie74

No, but if the Stormtrooper helmet design on the late 2014 toy packaging is any indicator then the characters will have a fairly realistic CGI look along the lines of what we're used to from The Clone Wars.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I hated this. With all the lines through the panels on the underside of the Star Destroyer, it looks like it incorporates a style more appropriate for hand-drawn animation. It looks super-cheap in the context of CGI.

In understatement, I'm not overwhelmed with the Stormtrooper helmets, either.

I'm not sure, but at first glance, it looks like they may have made the eyes larger and/or with a different shape than they are in the live action helmets. Whatever it is, the troopers look somehow more innocent now. That impression is not promising to me.

Nothing like seeing them in action, to get a better idea, though.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Some info from today's Star Wars: Rebels panel at NY Comic-Con today, including our first look at one of the show's villains, an Imperial Inquistor who is "tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights." :

[​IMG]

Also shown at the panel was this behind the scenes video:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX1uCXVg9ug[/yt]

TheForce.net

ETA: Beaten to it by a minute!