Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Anywhere else to get your full opinion then? Something more expansive?

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really didn't want to derail the thread. But, we are talking about Nolan, and he's a big part of the movie, so its still on topic in a way. My opinion on the movie is effected by the fact that I think he's a hack, and I can't really give an opinion on MoS without atleast bringing him up. Now, people getting riled up about my opinion of him wasn't really surprising, and it has kind of messed with the thread (although honestly it got a lot worse when I said I hated Abrams in a thread about him talking over Star wars) and I didn't want that. Still, I felt like I needed to answer the question about what I hate about TDK.

Anyway, speaking about MoS, I would love for this movie to surprise me, to go against all of my bias towards Nolan and be a good movie. Superman having a triumphant return to the big screen would be awesome. I just think there is a better chance of me getting abducted by aliens and named the emperor of their interstellar kingdom then there is of MoS being a good movie.

About Serenity, or TDK? I posted what I thought was a pretty detailed post about TDK. Not all my reasons, but enough that I anything else I added wouldn't be neccesary. A paragraph about my basic problems with Bale and Alfred (not a lot of detail, but enough to get my general opinion), two paragraphs about why Ledger was a bad joker, and another big paragraph about the problems with nolan's attempt at a "realistic" Batman and what I think is a better way to portray Batman outside of comics in general. If there is something in the post you'd specifically like me to elaborate on, I'll do it. I just don't know what I need to say, outside of trying to write an essay on the movie in general.

If you're talking about serenity (which I don't think you are), I can easily talk about it,although I would point out that its tied with The Wrath of Khan as my favorite movie. Its only on top of it because I think the rankings go alphabetically if the movies are tied in the numbers. If I had to choose between them I'd go for TWoK, but besides that they're the two movies that I'd say are my favorite.

3. kirk55555

Accidental double post

4. Nerys Myk

Both, actually.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

! I didn't realize Kirk55555 was producing it.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the poster is giving Nolan too much credit. Nolan only worked on the re-writes of the script. Any other work he did on "Man of Steel" was halted when he started production on "The Dark Knight Rises". Otherwise this is Snyder's film 100 percent.

7. kirk55555

Well, I think I'd get in trouble if I started posting about Serenity here. I really don't think posting about it can be justified in this thread. I will say that it would probably be a bit harder to justify its tied #1 spot then it is to talk about TDK at the worst slot. Serenity without Firefly probably wouldn't make it to #1 (although its still a great movie, I actually saw it before watching the series and liked it, but after seeing the series it became one of my favorite movies). Also, remember that its a list of my favorite movies and what I think is the best. I'm not trying to say that everyone should think Serenity is one of the best movies ever. That really depends on what you think of Firefly, and your taste in movies. It benefits from having 13 episodes of a series, without the series it would be a different movie (it would have to be, because it would need to explain more and develop the characters, instead of benefitting from the tV series already having done that). The Wrath of Khan I seriously think is the best movie of all time, with no asterix like I'd have to put on Serenity. So many people have talked about TWoK that I probably couldn't say anything more about it that hasn't been said, although it probably doesn't need to be defended.

As for TDK, like I said, I made a pretty detailed post, and I'll go into more detail if there is something specific people want me to explain more than I did.

8. Nerys Myk

Huh? Is there an error in grammar that I'm missing?

his=kirk55555

the guy=Nolan.

9. Nerys Myk

And that post is where? All you gotta do is link.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair it does look like Nolan had an influence on the look and style of the film as well (and thankfully so).

Without him producing, I imagine Snyder's Superman would have been MUCH more flashy and colorful and over the top.

11. kirk55555

I assumed you had seen it, because it was on the page in this thread right before this one (we're on page 356 right now, its on page 355) :cardie: To be specific, here's the link

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=7748731&postcount=5313

12. Nerys Myk

Yeah I missed that.

Struggling with the wall of text towards the end,

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Kirk55555, would it help you enjoy the Nolan Batman films if you thought of them as a DC Elseworlds trilogy?

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh for sure the look and story structure are Nolan influenced, how could they not be with Jonah and Goyer co-writing the script? I'm just saying that some fans are giving Chris a little too much credit when really he hasn't done that much on the creative/technical side of things. Most people know I'm a huge Nolan fan (like JacksonArcher) but as far as I've read and been told Nolan really hasn't had that much input on the film other than the aforementioned re-writes.

I'm still very much looking forward to "Man of Steel". Everything about it so far has impressed me a great deal.

We're getting a coffee table book written by Dan Wallace :)

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Steel-Ins...1-1&keywords=Inside+the+World+of+Man+of+Steel

15. kirk55555

I don't think so. If it was a superhero movie with, say, I hero the writers made up, it may change a few things. Like I said earlier, Ledger's character was a good psychopath. He had potential to be interesting as a psychotic villain, and if he was a new villain with none of the history I could actually see myself being interesting in the character. But, as the Joker, he just doesn't work. He doesn't feel like Joker at all, and I already posted about my problems with him as Joker. Besides that, though, the movie is still flawed. It was WAY too long for the story it was telling, and it was really slow. Bale's performance is still bad, and his character would still be whiney. The butler/confidant/Alfred character would still be annoying and unhelpful to the main character, and Rachel would still be a lackluster romantic interest. I wouldn't have so much hate for it if it weren't Batman, and taking it on its own without a franchise to live up to it probably wouldn't be the worst movie I've ever seen, but it would still be bad. As it is, being a batman movie means it has to live up to more standards than a superhero movie not tied to the Batman franchise, but even without taking that into account its still not a good movie, it just wouldn't be quite as horrible.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't you think it would have been awkward if the second film had used a villain with a gas plot just like the first film? In addition to looking like a ripoff of Burton? Nolan appears to have deliberately tried to do things differently from Burton in various ways.

"And I thought my jokes were bad."

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, lots of credibility lost there if he thinks Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were better. Schuemaker is the guy that really screwed up the franchise, not Nolan.

19. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I think by the time someone shows up to needlessly insult him by saying, "Anyone who would put (Film That Has Nothing to Do with MoS) over (Film That Has Nothing to Do with MoS) doesn't know film at all," the conversation's been derailed too far and needs to be reeled back in.

And the latest post above me is STILL telling this poster things like he has no "credibility" for disliking Batman films... in a goddamn Superman thread. Aren't there Nolan Batfilm threads somewhere around him? Who cares if one guy likes The Dark Knight or not?!

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that was me. And maybe it wasn't quite on topic, but at the same time, it might have eventually lead to an analysis that would put that poster's opinion of the MoS producer in perspective by analyzing thoughts on film. Plus, I wanted to get my thoughts out and didn't feel it necessary to open a new thread.

This is a geek message board, and we all have thoughts and opinions, and we all want to questions those opinions of others in order to reassess our own. Relax a bit.. conversations are conversations, and they have a tendency of rambling a bit before getting back on point in real life, so why not on a forum?