what is your favorite class of starship and y

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by kent, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kent

kent Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have tossups personally. I LOVE the intrepid design because it's fast, powerful, and sleek looking. But ultimately, I think I love the Galaxy class more because it's more regal looking, like the King riding at the head of his army in his royal army clothes and handsome steed, with the war horn in the background. Majestic i think is the right word.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sovereign, followed by Excelsior, Constitution, Akira, Miranda, Ambassador, Galaxy, Constellation, Olympic, Nebula, NX, Oberth, and so forth... Intrepid's ugly to my sensibilities, but still better than the gimmicked Constructicon that is the Prometheus.

If we're not only counting Federation starships, the D'Deridex is perhaps the most beautiful spaceship ever designed, and the Breen cruisers and Son'a battleships look good, too.

3. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

I would say my favorite ship would be the NX-01.I just really like the design.However if I

4. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

The refit constitution as portrayed in TMP. It was the first starship I ever saw that looked and felt real to me. When I first saw it I believe I could almost step through the screen and really be there. Plus I believe it a beautiful, elegant and logical feeling design.

That is not quite the feeling I have for the ship but it is the best in words that I can express. Basically there is just something about her....

5. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I'm a huge fan of that Warbird myself, particularly the way they lit the model on the show; also, I love the original Romulan Bird of Prey with its 60s fin and cool painted bird. Romulans are just cool.

6. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

WOW!sorry about that,as I was saying if I had to command a ship it would be the NOVA Class Rhode Island Variant.It's a small ship,but I like the fact it's a small and compact ship and you don't have a large crew you would have to worry about,Remember YOU are responsible for the lives of your crew so for me the smaller the better.Plus it,s got decent offensive capabillates in case you get in a bind and is very manuverable and the fact it sorta looks like a miniature soveriegn class dosen't hurt.:techman:

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Akira class. I like the design, it looks fast and powerful.

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to go with the TMP Constitution class. It was just a work of art. Truly, the feather in the crown of Starfleet ships.

Another personal favorite was the Intrepid class. I thought it was beautiful, functional, and just a dream to watch.

It's not mentioned in the thread, but my least favorite was the Defiant class. As far as I'm concerned, it's an ugly war tortoise.

9. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

The non-refit Excelsior class.

It personifies Star Trek design in my opinion and has an almost majestic appearence.

10. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Argh, I can't believe I forgot the Defiant.:scream: A front-runner in my view.

11. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I'd have to say the Legacy-Class by Galen & Kaden of SciFi-Meshes.Com, followed-up by the Interceptor-Class, the Swift-Class and the Defiant-Class.

I prefer small to medium in size vessels, as they're more agile ships that can dip, yaw & bank between larger (Keldon-Class, et al.) enemy ships in close-quarters running fire fights. Ships with more options such as "CONDITION: BLUE" (vertical take-off & landing), thicker armor to take more hits before it core-breaches, and Quantum Slipstream.

12. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I could command any ship I would pick a Galaxy Class, and install the following upgrades:

Ejectable Warp Core
    Quantum Torpedoes
    Phasers that can destroy little kamikaze ships
    Phasers on the Stardrive section

13. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

The Galaxy does have an ejectable War Core, The 1701D's just didn't seem to work.

Her phasers can hit multiple small objects like in Conundrum.

The Stardrive has phasers: A strip on the battle bridge head part of the ship, a strip on the ventral side just behind the deflector dish, small ones on either side of the aft torpedo launchers, and on the warp nacelle pylons.

My favorite ships:
    Starfleet:
    Sovereign - looks like it's always moving and just looks good.
    Intrepid - Scrappy, fast and agile and it can land.
    Akira - I like the catamaran design.

Earth:
    NX Class - I just like that catamaran look.

Vulcan:
    Sh'Ran - giant ring looks cool.

Other:
    D'Deridex - Mean and green, the double hull design is prett cool.
    Breen ships are just cool do to their asymmetrical design.
    Negh'var - the Klingons really made a piece of beauty and firepower.

14. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Counting all the ships, Federation and other, my top faves are, in this order:

-Refit Constitution-class starship;
    -Sovereign-class vessel;
    -Romulan Warbird, D'deridex-class; and
    -Klingon warship, Neqh'Var-class

I like my starships big and powerful! LOL!

Red Ranger

15. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me its a toss up between the original Connie and the re-fit Connie with the Galaxy Class coming next.

16. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me as the name implies I really dig the Miranda class vessels. The Wrath of Khan was my first experience of Star Trek and I loved it. The Connie was the hero ship and fantastic but the Reliant seemed rugged and compact and the fact it went toe to toe with the flagship says something about it. Later usages of the ship also implied it as being a tough little ship - outfitted as the Souyez class etc and serving on the border etc.

But these two designs the Connie and Miranda have inspired much of the rest - The Galaxy and Nebula borne of them for example. But also like the Intrepid class and the Akira. Would love to have seen it on telly or featured more on the big screen. Really cool and powerful but seems rather practical in its function.

Of course as mentioned the Romulan's Big Green D'Bird - unfortunate that its sheer scale and size was often not conveyed on the screen. One wicked enemy to come against. Shinzon's new ship had nothing on it for meaness and impressing the enemy facing it.

The Klingon bird of prey is also one swoopy mean fighter too - Dominion war showed it kicking ass [though by the same token the DW horribly maligned the reputation of the Miranda sob]

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original Connie and the refit Connie are tied for first place. I don't think I have to explain my decision.

18. Autobot

Autobot Captain Captain

Q: Favourite Starship Class and Y

Starship Class: Nebula, always seemed like a quick and nimble ship without the engineering hull section.
    Y: I like the capital Y for purely aesthetic reasons, when it doesn't extend below the line you're writing on.

:P

19. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to give another vote for the refit Constitution as portrayed in TMP. Just an absolute work of art. It still looked good in TMP-TUC, of course, but the work of ILM in the subsequent films, as good as their people are, just never captured the beauty of the ship like the way Douglas Trumbull and his team filmed it for TMP. He really had the care for the product and an attention to detail that makes the visual effects of TMP stand up to this day. And beauty of the effects shots aside, I just like that design, inside and out. It really looks practical and functional as well as beautiful.

Beyond that, I do like the Galaxy and the Intrepid. I really am much more fond of the Intrepid than most people seem to be here. I also really like the Defiant. Really believable as a Federation warship.

The Excelsior has never particularly grown on me. Nor have most of the newer designs like the Soverign, the Akira, the NX-01, and so forth.

20. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

my favorite ship class is a toss up between the 'nx' class if a starfleet ship or the klingon bird of prey