STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Funny, considering George Lucas could have said the same to Pegg regarding his hatred of The Phantom Menace. The shoe is on the other foot now.

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I just downloaded the itunes version and watched it again. God what a great fucking movie. And go Simon Pegg, the hardcore fanbase that hate this movie would have hated it no matter what. They shouldn't be pandered to, or listened to.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you!

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

The difference is, unlike the prequels, these flms have been pretty universally praised by the film review community. Heck looking at the the audience approval ratings on various sites, they're all sitting at a very high level as well. The criticism comes from a very loud select section of the fanbase who thinks that their view of what Star Trek should be is the reality of what it is, and anything that doesn't meet their narrowly defined view is crap. Pegg is absolutely right. If someone doesn't like the film because they didn't enjoy it, then they have their right to. It's the people who claim, "Well its just a summer blockbuster, it's not Star Trek", while having no actual authority over what is and isn't, that he is talking to I figure.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's true...and that makes Pegg seem like even more of a baby because of it. A hundred people voted it worst, boo-friggin'-hoo. A lot of people loved it and it made a butt-load of money, so who cares?

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Simon Pegg has also called Babylon 5 shit.

Total hypocrisy.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That better defines criticism of STXI. STID, aka "we gotta do Khan because we're out of ideas and people just want to see their childhoods raped again" is a different animal.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Did you actually think before you posted that? Do you have any idea how childish that sounds? It's a movie. Some find it entertaining, others don't. Nothing more, nothing less. :rolleyes:

9. DalekJim

Tell that to Simon Pegg, who feels it is acceptable to hurl abuse at people for merely ranking STID as their least favourite Star Trek film in a poll.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Simon Pegg is just annoyed that these people will never shut up about how much they hate the movie not matter how much time passes, as well as the fact that they will just randomly bring said hatred up in conversations that have nothing to do with said movie.

Because I know I am.

I mean don't these people have lives or something.

11. DalekJim

Well, I suppose it comes down to which you think is more morally acceptable out of not liking a movie, or yelling abuse at people for not liking a movie.

I don't even rate STID as the worst Trek film, I think it's a largely passable, mindless runaround that I'd certainly rather watch again than Generations. Doesn't stop people having the right to claim Generations as the best and STID as the worst without being shouted down though.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You'd think they did, but apparently not.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And there in lies the problem, ascribing a moral imperative to your OPINION.

Heres the thing I don't care if someone likes the movie or not I just don't want to hear about how much they hate it non stop for another 4 f@#king years just because they think their the second coming of Roger Ebert or something (which they aren't).

Look no one is going to be converted to the haters side, they are just being annoying.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Or he's just saying what a lot of the rest of us are saying.

15. DalekJim

Ah, that makes it perfectly acceptable then.

Must be horrible for you having to hear about people liking different things :(. For four years, no less.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except for the fact general audiences and critics (which was NOT the case for STID) ALSO panned The Phantom Menace.

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yes it is acceptable. Just cause he's an a public figure doesn't mean he has any requirement to express his opinion in a sugar coated way.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it's horrible for the people who bitch about it for four years non-stop because they have nothing better going in their lives. For me, it's merely an annoyance.

I'm not big on Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but I don't need to go into those forums to tell people how much I dislike their show at every opportunity. I'm more interested in talking about things I actually like. YMMV.

19. DalekJim

Let me get this straight... it's only acceptable to criticise films that have a low score on Rotten Tomatoes?

:wtf:

These people just answered a poll. A poll that went viral, and has caused the wheels of Abrams Trek to fall off in a rather amusingly public way. People can't put a lid on this shit, it's viral and out there now.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Such 'abuse' is richly deserved when the facts about the poll come out such as:

- It was a poll of exactly 100 people at a Con where multiple thousands of fans were attending.

- 'Galaxy Quest' wasn't added to the poll by said fans as a 'Star Trek Film', it was put on the poll by the author of the resulting article.

- The author wasn't interested in writing an honest article, it's pretty clear he knew what he want from the git go; and probably took the 100 responses that fit his agenda.