References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS KG5, May 10, 2013.

1. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi All,

SPOILERS BELOW: -

Apart from all the references to the earlier Trek movie featuring Khan, I also spotted: -

The NX-01 amongst Admiral Bastard's desk models.
    Section 31

Any other nods anyone noticed?

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Carol Marcus's mother's maiden name was Wallace. Possibly a shout out to Janet Wallace.

Christine Chapel is mentioned.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The tribble of course.

4. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

The 'Mudd incident'.

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The NX-01? Nope, not 'just' the NX-01. Besides famous airplanes, rockets and shuttles, there was Cochrane's Warp ship, The Ring Ship Enterprise, The Warp 5 NX-Alpha from Fight or Flight, The NX-01 and what looks like a miniature of the USS Vengeance.
    Very ballsy from Marcus' part!

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right next to the NX-Alpha from ENT: "First Flight" and the Ringship Enterprise XCV-330 from background art in The Motion Picture and Enterprise. I think I also saw a model of ENT's "warp delta" from the opening credits but am not 100% sure.

I loved that they managed to answer the four-year fan debate about Enterprise's place in both timelines with something so minor that fitted perfectly into the scene.
    Too many to count, including them taking Harry Mudd's ship to Kronos and McCoy's mention of the Gorn. I loved them all right up until a certain someone yelled a certain something that took me right out of the film with it's unimaginable awfulness. But it's got it's own thread.:p

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

That bit I didn't understand. I thought the Vengeance was supposed to be a super secret warship? On the other hand, the place where it was docked wasn't particularly well hidden, or even guarded for that matter!

8. F. King Daniel

Plausible deniability. "You say I'm building a secret dreadnought warship? No son, it's a model. I have a hobby - see?" *points to desk*
    :p

Also: I want that model! According to the credits, they were provided by Quantum Mechanix. Hopefully it'll be available soon.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

They mentioned meeting at Daystrom (which struck me as being a bit off, timeline wise but I'm sure there are ways to explain it).

10. F. King Daniel

I think Pike got a message to meet Daystrom, not meet at Daystrom. I could be wrong, though.

But IIRC, he designed his famous duotronic computer at a very young age, and spent the rest of his life trying to equal that feat. Since IRL we have 17-year-old computer whizzes coming up with revolutionary new cancer detection techniques, it's plausable he's already got buildings named for him, if that was the case in the movie.

11. MFB

MFB Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The conference room is called Daystrom Room. I think it was Admiral Marcus who called reinforcements to the "Daystrom Conference Room" during the attack.

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Do bat'leths count? awesome to see them again! i also liked what appeared to be mini-BoPs

I was also fairly sure the Ketha province is where Martok grew up?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  13. Oso Blanco

I hated those ships. They were nothing like a Klingon design should have been, and sure they were no D4 class! And the braking sound during the "won't fit" scene was just too cartoonish!

14. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

How do you know that?

15. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they were alright as little Klingon fighters go, they clearly were more in the BoP class than a "cruiser" but they did remind me a bit of some of the Klingon designs from ENT.

The Klingons themselves were an interesting riff on the familiar look, much tougher looking than their TNG-era cousins for sure, and a nice little introduction if they become larger players in Trek XIII. Though, with them now off on the 5 year mission, the door is open for a deep-space story.

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Other references:

the image of the already exploded Praxis
    Carol Marcus' line about how nice it is to have a family

17. Oso Blanco

Was that really supposed to be Praxis?

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I don't think so, I thought Praxis was a bit further out than that. Though its possible that is what Praxis looked like because of the excessive mining anyway?

19. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I think so, yes.

20. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah the NX-01 was a neat little thing thrown in. I got all the other model references,but NX-01 is confusing as in in 'A mirror, darkly' it shows a future ship, the defiant, as a prime connie. However, ST:FC - Kelvin incident being the post 'First Contact' timeline fuckaroo, makes sense to have it there.

Other references aside such as beeps and whirs from controls etc, I got the Daystrom line, nurse Chappel, however it's pretty much assumed Kirk had no idea who nurse Chappel was and he was flirting and making it up as if he knew what she was on about.

Not directly a reference but the kelvin memorial hospital in London, the uss Bradbury, probably JJ naming it after the late Ray Bradbury who was a big influence to gene and probably JJ himself.

And obviously the biggest reference is the film itself, a kind of kind of hybrid of Space Seed and TWOK.

More escapes me until a second viewing.