So what would you like CBS to do with a new Star Trek TV show?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by GhostFaceSaint, Jul 27, 2009.

1. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Star Trek is back with its biggest hit in theaters, ever, and soon to come out on Blu-Ray and DVD to make even more money; will CBS follow with a new TV show? In the right hands a new show would be very big, market its release, sell it to the right sponsors, it could make a lot of money, and, CBS knows this; so is a new show inevitable? Their is soon to be a live action Star Wars TV show to come out in 2010 with the scripts being worked on filming has still not yet begun but that is inevitable too, so there is a market for people who want another science fiction show, every producer in the television world knows this, so why hasn't CBS put out the word that a new show is coming, because they are not sure how to execute it!:confused:

So lets tell them what we as, yes, Trekker's and Trekkies know will work lets start a huge thread on what kind of show will work!:klingon:

Should the next Trek show be in JJ's new universe, because chances are that is where it will be? Should it even be on a Starship but a wild west frontier colony planet, or an alien ship? Should it be about alien pirates? Should it be about Klingon's depicted as honorable yet slightly crazy people, not as cruel as depicted before? Should it be about the Romulan Empire in the 23rd century? Should it be on the USS Enterprise NCC-1701, focused on the officers of lower rank?

Should it start with a two episode pilot, or a week long mini-series of nightly episodes to jump start the new show? How many characters should the new show be focused on? What is the goal of the new show? Is there to be a message learned from a new show?

Alright use your imagination, your common sense, and discuss the future CBS TV show!;)

2. GhostFaceSaint

So a former Trek writer and producer Bryan Fuller is really pushing CBS to let him do the next Trek show and there are a lot of articles about him and interviews with him and here is one of them from June 15th: http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/06/15/is-there-hope-for-a-new-star-trek-tv-show/. So is doing Fuller Trek set in JJ new 23rd century universe the way to go? Is Fuller the right man for a new Trek show?

3. GhostFaceSaint

So is Fuller right and he should be the one to do a new show after another movie or two?

4. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm picky.

I'd like to have nu-TOS. We've had Kirk and Spock reintroduced. How many films do we think we'll get out of the current cast? I doubt it'll go to six again.

I'm not sure how long to get to three, but after that maybe it's time for a new series about the original crew.

Some of the stuff that's been suggested by fans, including new takes on old stories, can't ALL be covered in just a few films.

But in a new SERIES....

5. msbae

msbae Commodore

I want a new series with JJ's re-imagined TOS crew as well, preferably after they've had at least 3 films. However, we don't need to redo all of the old stories. We can't redo some of them. Amok Time probably wouldn't work since Vulcan was destroyed. (Or, maybe it would since Spock would have a whole new motivation for banging T'Pring like a screen door in a Hurricane; helping to rebuild the Vulcan race.) Let that be your last battlefield would fall flat with today's audience since racism isn't as much of a concern in American society anymore. Also, I have no desire to see the Hippie episode done again. It sucked enough the first time it was seen.

All that being said, I do want to see a remake for Balance of Terror, Errand of Mercy, The Doomsday Machine and City on the Edge of Forever, among others. Those could be great stories for a new JJ-Trek series.

6. skep155

skep155 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No chance of getting those actors to do a t.v series. Any new Trek series will likely be about another Starfleet crew. They wouldn't risk doing it about an alien crew because the audience need to be able to identify with the protagonists.

I'd rather they set it on a frigate than on a Constitution class ship, being able to blow everything to smithereens just encouages lazy story telling. I'd prefer the ships interior to have a similar feel to the Kelvins. No more forehead of the week aliens.

7. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A reboot of TOS has been the most obvious route for a new series for a while now, but as people have mentioned, it's doubtful whether the actors from the latest film would be prepared to commit to such a project. They're mostly young people with the potential for successful film careers; while they could no doubt make a good deal of money from a Star Trek series, I think they'll be mindful of the danger of being typecast. There's certainly a good chance that the execs will cash in with a new show, and it might even be good, but in terms of actually getting quality product the film series might be fans' best bet, at least for a while. I think that for a new Trek show to be good there needs to be someone with a pressing need to make it, a person or persons who can inject passion and urgency into the series. I'd rather have no Trek than bad Trek.

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Make Enterprise Season 5 or a continuation of some sort. Some rethinking along the lines of Season 4, maybe a soft reboot but essentially those characters, that technology and the exploration of 22nd Century. Birth of the Federation, Romulan War and all the potential territory the show was heading deeper into, before internal studio politics stepped in to decide Star Trek was an unnecessary expenditure.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I agree for now. After Star Trek XII and XIII we will see a TV series I think.

10. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

Would it be a show with the movie crew or recast?

A recast for a recast would simply be garbage IMHO.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Any new show would have to take place in the alternate reality created by ST09, but there's zero chance they'd be able to get the movie cast to sign on for a TV show. Better to set the show on another Starfleet vessel with a different crew. Maybe they can get members of the movie cast to make occasional guest appearances.

12. dillon3001

dillon3001 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I for one would love a series with all the cast from ST09, i dont know what would be stopping them from getting it done, but I know next to nothing about how that stuff works. Quinto does TV already, maybe the hangup for it would be the actors schedule with doing other projects and such.

Still would be cool to have the ST09 cast though imo

13. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I'd like to have a new Star Trek show, set in the same universe as the movie (obviously). However, if that ever were to come true, I do sincerely hope they'll throw the rulebook in the wind and change the rules a little. I don't want the larger view of the stories to come to the same conclusions we've already seen. Change the larger picture into something completely different.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Zachary Quinto - TV actor (for now, ST09 might change that)
    Chris Pine - film actor
    Zoe Saldana - film actor
    Simon Pegg - film actor
    Karl Urban - film actor
    Anton Yelchin - film actor
    John Cho - film actor (though he had a guest spot on House and will be in Flash Forward, dunno if it's a regular role or temporary)

Generally, most actors who tend to star in films do so because they don't want to get tied down by a long-term TV contract. And because there's usually more money in film than in TV. The stigma about television in Hollywood isn't as bad as it used to be, however.

15. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

If anything is to reimagined and rebooted, it should be the next generation not with that title however. With phase two sensabilities and maybe even the phase two Enterprise with cast members on a pay to play basis. I don't want everyone getting their 'say' on everything with equal time and parts. In fact I'd prefer only a tentative main cast with diverse POV's ala an anthology. It should center around a completely thought out mystery sans time travel.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A TV show set in the new universe with a new cast would scream "What's the point?" to me. A starfleet ship exploring space with brand new characters? Did we really need a reboot for that? Kirk and Spock were the selling point of the new movie and in an ideal world they'd be the selling point of a new TV show.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; we'll get 3 (including the one just gone) Star Trek movies and then that'll be it - back to square one only this time with timelines floating about instead of one.

17. GhostFaceSaint

I am sorry but I believe you are incorrect on that assumption, Bryan Fuller isn't the only producer looking to do a new Star Trek series with CBS there have been others who tried before the film. Now that the film is out and it is a success why would CBS hold back doing a new show when there is money to be made in it? Star Trek is a franchise and it has successfully created other characters outside of Kirk and company before, what's to stop them from successfully doing so again? If CBS things there is an audience out their who will watch a new show than they will make it.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd just as soon they didn't bring Trek back to television again for a long, long time.

19. Karnbeln

Karnbeln Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They could always do a mini-series to lead up to the next film the weeks before. Something that would lead in to the movie's plot and enhance one's understanding of events, but would not be required viewing. You could incorporate a different crew or use the Enterprise, depending on how things go.

I don't know if this would be favorable or not, but it could be interesting. TV Trek would be event television for the first time in a while, at least.

20. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you want a Star Trek tv series better hope Defying Gravity does well. Virtuality was a flop for Fox, until CBS sees space opera succeed on network TV why would they want to damage the brand by bringing it back to TV?