JK Rowling to revisit Harry Potter-verse for new movie series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FreezeC77, Sep 12, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: 11 feature films, 6 TV series [many of which have very dubious quality] - sorry, Potter isn't even close to the lactating blood Trek reached.

2. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i am really excited about this, going to be interesting, i except there will be a full book to come once the screen play is written and all

3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm one of the few people who liked books 1-4, particularly their style, much more than 5-7 (and especially didn't like
    Snape being good
    ) so not really enthusiastic but it could be good.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Book came out six years ago, I think we're out of spoiler territory at this point.

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

And rosebud is a boys snow sled. ;)

Fuinny anecdoate about that actually. As I understand it when Welles made Citizen Kane he picked the name rosebud for the sled becuse the film is of course modeled after William Randolph Heasrt's life and is to some degree a paradoy of his life and a snub.

Apparently Welles had inside information that Hearst named his girlfirends pussy, "rosebud," and it was a further snub.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Maybe so but it was nice of him to use spoiler code. I wish more people would be as thoughtful.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You know, I've never seen "Citizen Kane" because somebody ruined the ending for me.:klingon::scream::p

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The ending's not all that important.

9. montag01

montag01 Ensign Red Shirt

I guess it's lame at this point, but when I saw Deathly Hallows I just assumed there'd be some sort of "one-off" movie featuring Dumbledore and Grindelwald. They cast Jamie Bower, a well-known up-and-coming actor in the UK to play the younger version of Grindelwald, yet he only appeared in D.H. as a photograph. It seemed odd they'd cast someone like Bower just for his face in a non-speaking role. But there doesn't seem to be any interest at all in filming the Dumbledore-Grindelwald backstory.

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Rosebud is merely a framing device for the larger story of Kane's life as a yellow journalist (a thinly veiled Hearst clone). It's really only important insofar as it's the reason for the reporter to go around asking all these questions about the recently deceased Kane, since his last words were a mystery to all of his close friends. In the end, the reporter never even finds out why Kane's last word was Rosebud (it's only seen as a closing shot of the sled as it's burned with the rest of Kane's worthless belongings).

Strangely enough, a major plothole in Citizen Kane is that no one is in the room when Kane dies to even hear him say "rosebud"!

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not the first time, no, but do I seem to recall a certain NATO coalition going in and taking him down when he regenerated, came out of hiding, and retook control of Germany back in '58. :p

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Warner Bros has set Fantastic Beasts for release on the 18th November 2016.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ But not all the news from Potter land is cool. Some of it is brain-blastingly lame:

[​IMG]

Really?! :vulcan: :rommie:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never read that myself, but I thought it was pretty cool that she did that. I wouldn't mind getting stuff like that for some of the other characters.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Eddie Redmayne to play Newt Scamander.

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I don't mind Redmayne, I think he's a fine enough actor, but at one point I read that Matt Smith had a shot at getting the role and I was really pulling for him. I think Redmayne will do well in the part, though, and with the first movie being less than eighteen months away and with the lead actor finally cast, I expect we'll start hearing more casting announcements soon.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're already off to a good start in my book, with Rowling writing, Yates directing, and Redmayne starring they got a pretty good group working on it.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

How are they going to adapt a guidebook?

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Tell that to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

They're not, as this isn't really an adaptation of anything.

Rowling is basically creating a brand-new set of stories using Newt Scamander and the "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" textbook and concept as a 'branching off point', with said stories being realized in the filmic medium as opposed to the literary one.