Question Regarding the Bird of Prey

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ClawsThatCatch, Apr 27, 2010.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it repo'd? I KNEW they were on a smaller budget in S3, but that is just sad.

2. ClawsThatCatch

ClawsThatCatch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You guys are great! Thanks for the clarification!

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just that, for me, "Bird of Prey" never sounded very Klingon to me. It always felt like it suggested a bird hunting and stalking its kill, waiting for the right moment to strike. IN Trek terms, Romulans creeping up under cloak, then revealing themselves long enough to swoop in for the kill. Klingons, on the other hand, just go in and conquer or blast the shit out of you, so "Battle Cruiser" seemed more appropriate.

But, yeah, with TSFS, the damage was done, and future Trek's ran with it. Klingons didn't get "warbirds" until the Abrams Trek movie. Until then, it was a huge, Next Gen era Romulan ship.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

AFAIK, no one knows what happened to the model.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some vague points that I don't think have come up are vaguely related:
    Some fans (as well as old FASA manuals) also believed the Klingon Bird-of-Prey was a Romulan design being used by Klingons, presumably as part of the battle cruiser/cloaking device deal. Enterprise later gave Klingon's a near-identical bird-of-prey at the end of season 2, about a century earlier.

The similarities in the K and R ships could still be explained by a technological exchange, just bump it back long before Enterprise. Otherwise surely Romulan ships would/should resemble Vulcan ones?

It's always seemed weird to me that Klingons and Romulans both have green ships. With Romulans it makes sense: Romulan blood is green, and they want to appear scary. With Klingons...they want to scare Romulans? :lol:

6. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps entirely Romulan designs do. The D'deridex's open center recalls the ringship designs used for the Vulcans in ENT and the aft hulls of the ships from TNG's "Unification". Don't forget, the Romulan cruiser in "Balance of Terror" looks as it does because, according to the script, it was based on UFP designs, essentially a saucer section with warp nacelles attached.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be sure, Klingon ships in TOS always played sneaky and dirty tricks. There was no "simple blasting" in any of the episodes, really.

In "Errand of Mercy", our introduction to the Klingon species sounds very much like an attack by a cloak-capable Bird of Prey: an enemy appears from nowhere, completely surprises our heroes despite them being on war alert, and launches a volley of torpedoes which all score perfect hits. The Enterprise shrugs off the hits, responds with a phaser blast, and the enemy is immediately dust.

Whenever Klingon Warbirds (sorry, battle cruisers) confront our heroes, they either yield ("Trouble with Tribbles", TOS-R "Friday's Child", "Time Trap"), or rely on saboteurs ("Elaan of Troyius") or strange superweapons ("More Tribbles, More Troubles") or superior numbers (TOS-R "Errand of Mercy", STXI simulation). Gorkon's flagship in ST6 is a rare exception to the rule, a bravely acting single Warbird...

Klingon ships also all tend to look like birds (wings, neck, head), while the original Romulan one did not.

Timo Saloniemi

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, in TUC, should the Klingons have been flying pink ships? :klingon:That would have made an impression!

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Koloth would have loved it.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, since the movie featured Vulcans such as Saavik, Sarek, T'Lar and Young Spock, aliens with slanted eyebrows and pointed ears, there was concern that the general public would be confused if the movie's antagonists were seemingly identical in appearance. They knew the movie's storyline wouldn't permit an elaborate backstory for the origin of Romulans, so it was easier to switch the enemy race to Klingons, especially since a large number of expensive Klingon leather uniforms were in storage since ST:TMP. Since TOS had already established that there had been a tech exchange by the two powers (ie. Romulans using Klingon vessels - mainly because the Season One Romulan vessel had been lost/stolen/broken), there wasn't need for further elaboration.

There was a stage note in the ST III script that wasn't used in the final draft, where Kruge was a Klingon lord who'd stolen a Romulan bird of prey:
    eg.
    I have an old blog entry on this here:
    http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/2006/12/on-sixth-day-of-christmas-while.html

This is specified in the above script extract.

11. Therin of Andor

For a long time, people speculated that the Romulan ship from Season One had been stolen and, when they needed a Romulan vessel in Season Three and no search had turned up the Romulan ship model, they decided to go with the then-just-newly-built Klingon ship model and add the line to the script about tech sharing.

However, I read one theory, a few years ago, as to why the "stolen"/"missing" model has never materialized in any private collection. Supposedly the main hull of that Romulan model was plaster, not the usual wood/plastic/whatever, and it had been accidentally dropped - and smashed to smithereens.

12. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wasn't there also a rumor that Wah Chang purposely damaged it because he was paid less than he felt proper for the work?

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I thought the old wives' tale was that little Rod threw the model into a swimming pool.

14. SpyOne

SpyOne Captain Captain

I have heard two different versions of why the original Romulan ship never appeared again:
    1) it got broken, and the budget wouldn't allow for repair.
    2) Gene hated it, thought it looked bad on screen, and would not allow its use again (possibly had it destroyed).
    It's all speculation: take your pick.

Which episodes were those?
    AFAIK, the Romulans only appeared in Balance of Terror and Enterprise Incident. TOS-R decided to make one of the ships in the latter into the ship from BoT, but in the Original Series I believe that ship appeared only in that episode.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Stock footage of the Romulan BoP was reused in "The Deadly Years" when Commodore Stocker took the Enterprise across the Neutral Zone and the Romulans objected.

16. Therin of Andor

Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry, Jr. was born on 5 February 1974. Probably explains why Nurse Chapel was missing (or silent) in a few TAS episodes.

17. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yeah, I know that it isn't true. That's why I called it an old wives' tale.

It still gets repeated quite frequently, so I thought I would throw it out there.