Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Are they going to Somalia?

2. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good God?! :eek: Is this still on?

What I never got about Power Rangers is why they always waited till the end to Morph into that big bad-ass robot and just step on the villian and be done with it. :confused:

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's about honor as a martial artist -- you don't use any more force than you need to, don't escalate a combat until you're forced to. Maybe it ties in with the post-WWII Japanese mentality toward military force, that it must only be for self-defense and never for aggression. But it's also a fairly universal principle of the ethical use of force, that you don't initiate an escalation. As it was phrased in Babylon 5, "Never start a fight, but always finish one."

I suppose one could also assume that a Megazord battle creates the risk of extensive property damage and is thus a last resort, although that became less evident in the Power Rangers version after 9/11/01, when all the Sentai footage of buildings being destroyed in the Megazord battles got cut out. Or one could assume that it creates a serious power drain for the Rangers or the source of their technology and/or magic, and thus needs to be kept on reserve for when it's absolutely necessary.

Of course, in reality, it's about keeping to the formula of the show and making sure you don't resolve the crisis until the half-hour is nearly over.

The conceit that always bugged me in early Power Rangers was that the only people who did know their secret identities were the villains. In that case, what's the point of having secret identities? And why don't the villains just kill them in their sleep?

4. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

The villains were never smarter than an average bear.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I had trouble getting the video on the Nick site to play -- it was okay but posterized at first, but just as the Rangers announced themselves, it became random blobs of color.

And come on, "Sneak Peak?" It continually amazes me how many people forget how the word "peek" is spelled when it's prefaced by "sneak." Though not as much as it amazes me how little interest supposedly professional websites have in proofreading.

As for what little I saw and heard of the preview, it seems there is an effort to emulate elements of MMPR -- the background music when the Rangers first arrived evoked the MMPR theme, and their henshin phrase is the rather boring "Go go Samurai," evoking the MMPR theme's lyrics.

7. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Samuraizer?

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moogers?

9. Samurai8472

10. Doctor King

Doctor King Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll be looking forward to this season coming next year. I can't wait.

11. Samurai8472

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

13. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not imaginative at all. A minor quibble, though. And it's more than made up by them keeping the Sentai henshin devices and how they're operated (painting the symbol in the air).

As silly as those terms sound, they fit right in with their predecessors.

15. Samurai8472

16. Doctor King

Doctor King Lieutenant Junior Grade

17. Samurai8472

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Samurai8472

Well I guess you will have to divert your eyes from next years cast.

[​IMG]

Magazine scans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Samurai8472

Hyper Hobby scans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This first page covers the Red Rangers. Year 18: Kakuranger, Red Ninja with a inset picture of five Kakuranger; Year 30: Bouken Red with Zuuban sword mode and five Boukenger in inset; Two pictures of Aka Ranger from Year 1: Goranger (inset picture blocked by www.modxtoy.com wetmark); Year 3: Battle Fever J, Battle Japan and inset picture of 5 person team; Year 12: Liveman, Red Falcon with inset of 3 Liveman (there was 5); and Year 23: GoGoV, Go Red and inset picture of the five.

[​IMG]

[LEFT]
    Year 25: Gaored and inset of 5 Gaoranger; Year 21: MegaRed vs. Yugande and inset of 5 Megaranger; Year 9: Change Dragon and inset of Changeman; Year 33: Shinken Red and inset of Shinkenger; Year 14: Five Red and inset of Fiveman; Year 24: Time Red and inset of Timeranger; and Year 34: Gosei Red and inset of Goseiger.
    [/LEFT]

[​IMG]

This page deals with the girls. Year 28: Dekaranger, Jasmine (Yellow), Jan (red), and Umeko (Pink) and inset of 5; Year 29: Magiranger, pictures of Houka (Pink) and Umeko (Blue) and inset of 5; Year 19: Ohranger, Momo (Pink) in swimsuit and inset of 5; Year 32: G3 Princess (Villain Kegaleshia, Saki (Yellow), and Miu (Silver) and inset of 5; Year 6: Dynaman, Dyna Pink and Denjiman inset. Picture next to her is Nanami (Hurricane Blue) and Villain Furabijou of Hurricanger and Denji Princess below them. I forget who the girl in the school uniform is.

[​IMG]

This page deals with villains. Year #31: Mele and Rio and inset of 3 Gekiranger; to the right is Zonette and Gyamo of Carranger; Year #4: Denjiman inset and Queen Heridan; Year #5: Queen Heridan and inset of Sun Vulcan; Year #13: Kirika and Yanimaru with Turboranger inset; Year #10: Flashman villains and inset of Flashman. Below are Bio Hunter Silver of Silver, some guy I don't recall and Year #7: Dark Knight of Dynaman (in the inset, blocked by wetmark).

[​IMG]

This page deals with sixth or additional rangers. Year #20: Signalman and Carranger in inset; Year #16: Dragon Ranger and Zyuranger Inset; Year #17: Kibaranger and Dairanger inset; Year #27: Abare Killer and 3 Abaranger inset. Shurikenger of Hurricanger is left to him. Year #2: JAKQ, Big One and four JAKQ inset; Ninjaman of Kakuranger is left to Big One. Miu in inset left from Go-On Silver and Go-On Gold of Go-Onger.

[​IMG]

This page deals with allies. Above Right is Battle Fever J and above left is Commander Ibuki of Changeman. Year #15: the commander lady from Jetman; Year #22: the tree and acorn of Gingaman, Year #11: the floaty mentor and his team Maskman, Master Shafu of Gekiranger, DekaMaster/Doggie Kruger of Dekaranger, and the dog is Denji Dog of Denjiman. Year #26: Oboro and her hamster father of Hurricanger.