Farscape Question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trubinator, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a query regarding the "splitting" of Crichton in season 3. From the way the storyline is resolved, it seems as though neither Crichton was a copy ... rather they were both John Crichton. But I've heard people argue this multiple ways ... some saying the Talyn John was the copy, etc. yadda yadda. Did the show's creators ever weigh in on the issue and say definitely one way or another?

It's kind of been a frustrating plot development for me because I'd have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of getting to know the real Crichton for 3ish years and then have him die keeping the wormhole technology away from Scorpious. And to have the copy live in would seem to be a hollow way to end the series. But this question never seems to get fully answered. Even Aeryn herself says she makes "no distinction" between the two.

Any light that can be shed on this would be appreciated...

2. Da'an

Da'an Commander Red Shirt

It's like when a cell splits by mitosis into two "daughter" cells.

Neither is a copy, they're both as original as each other.

3. Trubinator

I kind of figured it had to be something like that.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

They probably left it vague so as to make it harder for Aeryn to choose which one she wanted.

But, there must have been some difference, since they decided later
    to have the controversy whether her baby was John Crichton's or the "other" Crichton's.
    So, whatever works for the plot an any given day.

5. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

They totally drove the fact home that neither were copies and both were the originals. Ask either of them and they'd tell you the other was the copy... but that's just because even they couldn't wrap their heads around what happened any better than any of us could.

In other words, up until the point of the split, they were exactly the same person. Every moment thereafter they became individuals with all the baggage that comes along with that fact. Including the "controvery" Ar-Pharazon talks about in his spoiler and the way Aeryn and everyone else feels about them.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

From "Eat Me":

D'ARGO: You cloned me.
    KAARVOK: Not the word "clone". Please. I doubled you. I...twinned you. Two D'Argos, equal and original. And tasty.

7. Trubinator

that makes sense ... it was just such a bizarre plotline.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's Farscape. Bizarre is one of the main ingredients. :D

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's one of the coolest plotlines to ever be on a TV show. It was way too bizarre not to love.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The show always made it clear that the two copies were equally real. The clones themselves wondered about it (Moya-John waking up with a bleeding head in that one episode), but the baddie who did it said they were equal and then Aeryn at the end says they're equal, and when Talyn-John dies he doesn't melt or anything stupid like that.

11. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Mirrorball pointed out, this question was cleared up right at the very beginning, in the very same episode the situation was introduced. So, not to be rude or anything, but frankly you just weren't paying attention.

Personally I think it's one of the best plot developments in the history of sci-fi television. I recommend the Farscape forums at Television Without Pity - they have some fascinating discussions and theories about all the shows.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And it also allows for one of the most powerful scenes in TV, I think. The "coin toss" scene at the end of "Dog with Two Bones" if my favorite scene in the entire show.

"Do you love John Crichton? Not him. Not me. John Crichton."

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Damn, I really need to watch Farscape again. While it had some really silly episodes, it also had some of the best episodes of any TV series ever.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know! I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. :(

I watched "Dog with Two Bones" last night because of this thread, but I think I might have to start having a marathon from the beginning. Not every episode, but definitely some of the better ones.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I've already watched the whole series four or five times. But yeah, I really need to watch it again. I might skip a few eps this time round... not sure yet though.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh, I've watched it so many times, but it has been a while since I've watched anything other than my favorite episodes.

17. Trubinator

I grasp what the guy said. I just had a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept until another poster mentioned cellular mitosis ... then it clicked.

I also agree with the sentiment about "Dog with Two Bones." WOW.

I applaud them for their creativity though. Many people have said that Farscape is indeed a romance between John and Aeryn, a conclusion which I agree with. But in most situations like that, after the people have consummated the relationship, you end up with a generic and contrived problem to overcome before everlasting bliss and crap. But to shake things up like that

... geez.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I always figured the twinning thing was as such: The original Crichton was split into two new Crichtons. One isn't the clone of the other, in fact it could be easier to think the original Crichton was destroyed and two new ones were made in his place.

19. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

That all depends on how you want to define 'original'.... similarly, the whole Will Riker transporter duplicate storyline was a similar deal, wasn't it? Neither was the 'original', one just got luckier than the other.

I liked the double-John act... obviously, you knew from the get-go that one was dead... after Talyn-John hooked up with Aeryn full-time you DEFINITELY knew he was dead, but still, managing to draw it out for most of an entire season isn't something most series would do... an episode or two parter sure, but most series don't have the creative capacity...

And yet, it doesn't feel cheap or a cop-out when Talyn-John dies. It really feels like John Crichton made the heroic sacrifice, and when Aeryn and Moya John meet up, it still chokes me up seeing the anguish on her face when she thinks to herself that this John is the fake.

20. Trubinator

Yeah, it was ballsy. Interestingly though, Crichton was only split for about eight or nine episodes, but the repercussions from that lasted even until early season 4. I'm not sure many shows could pull 'that' off.

I guess kudos are in order for Browder for acting the part so well...