Yeah, it is hot, dry, and miserable across the U.S.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Knight Templar, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

The bulk of the U.S. is suffering under harsh drought conditions. Temperatures range from murderously hot too only extremely hot (and then it is humid).

In other words, miserable.

Yet, on the upside we haven't had jack for damaging hurricanes this year so far (though many would welcome the rain at least).

So I suppose in regards to the weather that for every loss there is a gain.

2. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Whew!

I thought this was another Chick-fil-A thread...

Rained here today.

3. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Lucky devil.

I've almost forgotten what rain is like. :confused:

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, hurricane season still is going on but, yeah, there hasn't been any reports of even any named tropical storms, has there? (EDIT: Looks like there's been four named storms this year so far.)

Problem is this drought is going to cause food prices to get jacked up. Milk and egg prices are already on the rise as the animals don't produce as much when it's this hot and dry. Beef prices you'll see drop for the next couple months as beef producers slaughter the cattle earlier in order to not have to worry about keeping them fed. But that's going to rebound before too long and cause prices to skyrocket as the supply decreases and the demand continues.

5. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

And this if it goes on long enough will cause beef prices to surge next year as ranchers have to rebuild their herds assuming that the drought breaks.

Fewer cattle will be sent to slaughter next year as fewer will be available and calves will be kept for breeding stock.

Droughts suck (dryly).

6. Trekker4747

Yeah, beef and probably all meat prices are going to skyrocket later this year. I'd recommend people get out now, stock-up and start freezing beef because prices aren't going to get too much better than what they are now for a long while.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In late June Florida got hit by Tropical Storm Debbie. Not really strong winds by me, but tons and tons of rain. We had a lot of sinkholes here.

8. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

People can go deer hunting with renewed purpose this fall.

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

It won't stop pouring in Tampa Bay. I love rain, so it's quite welcoming, but of course I'd share if that were in my power.

10. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the Northeast, this has been an extremely wet summer. Torrential showers multiple times per week.

The good news is that in a rich country like the U.S. (even in its decline) freak weather is a costly inconvenience but does not lead to famine or civil war.

11. Trekker4747

No, there won't be any famine or anything so dramatic, food will just be that much more expensive, though. Which will be a bigger burden on people throughout the nation who are already probably pretty cash-strapped. It also will hurt farmers whose livelihoods depend on well producing crops and livestock which is just going to put a strain on state and federal governments as they provide "disaster relief." It's not going to be an apocalyptic scenario or anything it's just going to be a big pain in the ass for pretty much everyone.

Well, except for the rich.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Well, you can't really have both.

The weather patters that create a hot and dry climate aren't the same weather patterns that allow a hot and wet weather system to develop or move into the area.

13. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Be prepared for double digit inflation. The corn crop in the Midwest is pretty much non-existant. Wheat was so-so and soybeans are probably going to be a poor yeild. Considering 50% of last years corn crop went to ethanol, corn is going to be in very short supply. Expect food, grain based goods,gasoline, cooking oils, anything derived from soy and all meats to go up in cost signifficantly.

This is going to be a rocky Fall. Stock your freezers now...

Q2

14. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't remind me. All it's done is rain here all summer. Especially on the weekends for some odd reason.

15. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I still think more research needs to be done into weather modification.

Back in the late 70s, early 80s it seems like you used to hear a lot about cloud seeding and other similar actions.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

NOAA is predicting the next two years are going to be much worse with an overdue El Nino on the horizon.

And it's not just the US but the entire northern hemisphere. Greenland has experienced the first complete ice melt in like 120 years.

17. Trekker4747

Yeah, maybe we can fire up bottle rockets of snake-oil?

18. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*glances out the window*, San Diego weather... still awesome.

19. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I don't remember exactly, but in 2008 didn't the Chinese do a bunch of cloud seeding before the Olympics so that it would be dry throughout the games when they actually got under way?

20. Trekker4747

I'm sure they did. Doesn't mean it worked or had any real impact on the vast, complex, system that is the atmosphere and weather patterns of this planet. But, sure, we can shoot some chemicals up there. Meanwhile, I'll be down here doing a dance to please the gods so that they may grace us with rain from on high.