Once Nolan's trilogy ends..

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OdoWanKenobi, Jan 6, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

EP could easily be a ceremonial title (for lack of better term).

After all, Burton and Spielberg were producers on, respectively, "Batman Forever" and the "Transformers" series but you don't see much of their vision in either.

I think once we see "Superman: Man of Steel" we'll have an idea how Nolan handles executive producer duties.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ It's just called "Man of Steel" btw. No Superman in the front of it and Nolan has been very hands on including re-writing the script himself a couple of times. He also personally hired Snyder and his brother and David Goyer wrote the script. Nolan seems like the type of person where he's very hands on and cares about the jobs he undertakes. I very much doubt that he took on the Executive Producer title for the reboot for ceremonial purposes. If he wasn't interested he would have just walked away after his trilogy was finished.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

There's a big difference between Batman and Superman, though. Superman cannot be portrayed like Nolan's Batman. Superman flies, has super strength, can shoot lasers out of his eyes, etc. He is by nature unreal. I don't really think we can use Man of Steel to gauge how Nolan would handle being only EP on a Batman film.

4. Admiral_Young

Sigh. Yeah we went through this debate in the "Man of Steel" film thread. My point though was that Nolan has been very hands on "Man of Steel". He only stepped back due to "The Dark Knight Rises" going into production earlier this year. Otherwise he's been extremely interactive with "Man of Steel".

5. the G-man

Emphasis added.

Until then, and ever after that, it is only speculation as to how "hands on" he is or isn't in terms of putting his stamp on the next Batman series.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I would love to watch that.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Spielberg very hands-on with the Transformers movies?

8. Admiral_Young

I've read he is the one who told Bay to fire Megan Fox after the Hitler comment...but yeah he was fairly hands on.

9. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Only with the first one, I think (he came up with the idea of "a boy and his car" and suggested Bay as a director), less with the two sequels.

10. Admiral_Young

Yeah he is the one who suggested and supported Bay as director. I think he's quoted somewhere as saying there is no one else that could bring "Transformers" to life like Michael Bay or some such quote. As mentioned he also heavily supported him after the fiasco with Megan Fox.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Conversely, Tim Burton had absolutely nothing to do with Batman Forever. His name was only on there to fulfill his contract, I believe.

12. the G-man

I read the EW interview with Speilberg last month and he said that story isn't true

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds interesting. I have only a passing familiarity with Batman Beyond. One friend swears it's great, and another swears it's garbage. I guess I'll have to get the DVD's one of these days and see for myself.

14. the G-man

BB is remarkably good given the fact that the concept was business, not creative, driven (from what I've heard, WB corporate wanted a "teen Batman" cartoon).

Another example of why Dini and Timm, not DiDio and Lee, should have been handed the keys to the DCU.

15. Admiral_Young

There was a bit of development for a "Batman Beyond" live action movie. A first draft exists somewhere. Clint Eastwood was heavily rumoured (but I don't think anyone was ever attached). It kind of just died. The screenplay is one of my holy grail scripts.

16. the G-man

You know, it's sad to realize that, to a lot of potential BB filmgoers, if Adam West were cast as Bruce, the reaction would be "why is the Mayor from 'Family Guy' playing Batman"

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sad but very true. :lol:

18. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

I think a tv series would work if it focused on dick's journey from circus acrobat to robin to nightwing. Bruce/batman would be a mentor who probably wouldn't be in every episode (like the president in the west wing). You can also introduce other members of the bat family like babs (maybe even have a cliffhanger episode based on a killing joke resulting in her becoming oracle and how that effects her relationship with dick and Bruce etc). Hopefully this idea wouldn't play out like smallville or dawsons creek...

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

You are stating with absolute certainty that you are writing off a film that hasn't even been conceived of yet, let alone made. You are priceless :lol:

20. AFEK ESLCAFE W

AFEK ESLCAFE W Lieutenant Commander Newbie

Yeah, but he'll only do it in 20 years time for US$65 million + 30% box office gross.