STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Or maybe they could use Khan and his augments as a basis for a new tv series?

2. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

I listed those specifically due their need for vengeance or payback for soemthing that had happened tot hem in the past. Kruge and Chang weren't motivated by anything other than their own ends.

Bog Queen wanted a partner in Picard, Soran wanted him family back, Ruafo wanted his youth and SHinzon wanted Pciard's blood and revenge on Earth because John Logan said so.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The thirst for revenge is a strong motivation, that's why it is used a lot in fiction.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

TNG writers had three swings and only First Contact ranks any better than a swing-and-a-miss and has aged poorly.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder why people always say this. Why do people, the audience, themselves allow summer blockbusters to be so empty and brainless?

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL as if they'll get that far.

7. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Five....THOUSAND.

8. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Ru'afo and Shinzon, yeah, I can make that connection. Soran and the Borg Queen though, I don't see it. Neither were on any kind of quest for vengeance.

Sorin was trying to gain immortality and escape the pain of the loss of his family. The key difference is that Khan was trying to avenge the loss of his family. Sorin merely wanted to forget, which is a fairly significant distinction. He wouldn't have killed anyone if there had been another way to enter the Nexus.

And the Borg Queen's motivation was the same as what the Borg's motivation has always been: assimilation and conquest.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just got back from seeing it and I loved it.

I still don't really like the ship and uniform designs but that wasn't going to change from the last movie. I did like the way they remade Space Seed and Wrath of Khan without, er, remaking them...

Like the last film, I loved it while I was watching it but afterwards plot holes started to occur to me, although most for the last film were resolved by people on this site - I trust that the same will happen again. JJ and Co. seem to have trouble writing scripts that dot all the I's and cross all the T's.

Here's my take on why they needed Khans blood and not that of another Augment - they KNEW Khan's blood worked and they only had one shot. Trying anything else was too risky.

And here's a prediction - Spock Prime will have a larger part in the next one to complete his 'arc' and we will get a look at New Vulcan.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are two different things.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, I hate most mindless action films, but I was on the edge of my seat for most of the second half.

Have any Star Trek movies (or episodes) ever done this?

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The only thing that truely disappointed me about this movie is that the threesome didn't involve two proper Caitians instead of...whatever those were.

13. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quick question: During the chase on Kronos, did anyone else hear a TIE Fighter sound from the Klingon ship?

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nope, it's the original "hawk" sound effect from the early Birds of Prey in the TOS movies.

15. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, ok. Just thought I heard a hint of TIE.

16. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Haha ok. I saw Into Darkness once more tonite. And I am still loving it:)

One of the things I really like about the movie is how they portray Khan. He meaner and stronger in some ways, and of course Cumberbatch has a different acting style compared to Montalban, but Orci and Kurtzman have understood the character´s essence. That´s why having back works wonderfully.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Every tailed species has to be a felinoid? :eek:

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other than the piano piece in the beginning nothing original grabbed me, it seemed to contain a lot of the previous film. I loved the score of 2009 but would have liked some more new themes. Maybe I'll notice them with the second viewing.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well no, but it was a good oppertunity to put them in there, instead we get two random new aliens.

However with those sheets and that much fur I'd imagine that would get rather uncomfortable before long.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Were they perhaps the same as the stripper alien in Broken Bow? Didn't they have tongues like her?