Spoilers TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Rate Raise the Dawn.

1. Outstanding

84 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Since the Federation is so adamant that slipstream is for exploration, and they have half their capable ships in the Delta Quadrant, I'm not sure that flies.

Besides, as I pointed out, it wouldn't be just to get him home.

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Guess they might, we'll have to see what happens

3. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Except I do not believe that she is dead. If I recall, in Soul Key, she also took a wormhole walk without a suit...

Mike

4. Enterpriserules

Wormhole walks are the best. I think that we will see her again!

5. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whether we do or don't, it's okay. If that really is the end of her story, it was a good way to end.

6. Enterpriserules

And she seems to be in a place of complete peace and contentment, I cannot imagine her wanting to be anywhere else for eternity.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I can't help but think about how many difficult lines this book managed to walk perfectly. Think about this.

- Kira's story. As was just noted, it's a perfect ending, unless it isn't an ending. Either way: golden.

- Mix of new and old characters. I remember myself being really disappointed by how many people had moved off DS9, not imagining wanting to follow Ro and an all-new cast. But check it out: Nog, O'Brien, Odo... even Sisko has a chance of staying in the DS9 series. We've got all kinds of people back and kicking around.

- Galactic politics vs. DS9-centric storylines. In the end, they ALL came together and were important to the climax - everything from Bacco and Kamemor's relationship all the way on down to Vaughn's drawn out death. It ALL contributed.

- My favorite: DS9 always walked a really fine line between fate and individual responsibility, and this book NAILED it. The stuff with the Prophets just PERFECTLY paralleled all of the Prophets material in the TV show; things fated to happen, but arising because of individual characters' strengths and weaknesses anyway. It felt exactly like Sacrifice Of Angels or any of Ben's religious experiences. Flawless.

This is goddamn Kung Fu is what this is. Solving a Rubik's cube while blindfolded. Dancing on the head of a pin and laughing at you. I literally thought it was not possible for me to be this happy with a DS9 novel, at this point, before this happened.

8. Enterpriserules

You nailed it Thrawn. This book is a masterpiece in how to write DS9. I was one of those who was sad at how many people had left DS9 and now it seems most of them will be back in some way or another!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The novels don't have to follow the comics, and indeed probably will not. If Treklit has Kamemor still as Praetor by 2387, then that is perfectly legit.

10. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. The problem is that Odo hasn't told anyone about the major recent events occurring in the Dominion, including the dissolution of the Great Link and his own efforts at reform. If Starfleet does learn--especially if there are people who need rescuing--I suspect they would send him back.

11. Enterpriserules

I think that Odo revealing what has been happening in the Dominion will play into future books and where he will stay in the galaxy as well.

12. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

W

O

W

Again for those who might underestimate my sincerity...

WOW!

Again some thoughts in no particular order...

Okay. I will admit that revisiting Benny Russel worked in the end. But please please please can we be done with it now? Frankly I was not crazy at the idea of other people being inserted into Sisko's personal alternate reality vision. I much preferred how KRAD gave Kira a similar kind of vision in his coda short story to the DS9 Gateways novel. When Elias was inserted into the Benny Russel vision in Unity I really did not care for it. What I think would have been a lot neater would have been for Elias to have a unique vision and then to cut back and forth between his vision and POV and Sisko's vision and POV. Same here. I would have loved it if we could have revisited the ancient Bajora for Kira's portion, and something new for Kassidy, etc.

When it was revealed that Quark had gotten a new bar up and running near the temporary command center. I realized that it really wouldn't have felt like DS9 if there had been no Quark.

So from the way Obrien talks, does this mean that Keiko is done being a whiny crab? Okay I admit that my dislike of Keiko has a looot to do with the fact that I cannot stand the actress who plays her. But still I have never ever been a fan. So personally I'm really hoping that at this point she's worked her shit out and is happy with her career and able to let Miles go and be happy too.

When the Romulan Admiral goes to earth and contacts Akaar and all that I was in tears. I thought he was so brave etc.

But then when "he" transports and it turns out that it's actually the Praetor? I literally gasped. It was a bold and brave move and showed how sincere she was in wanting to create a new Romulus. It was a definite stand up and cheer moment.

I like President Bacco a lot. And there were several points during this book where I wanted to smack her. And I was glad for it. I'm glad to see that this is someone with real flaws, and sometimes she's wrong and wrong headed. It makes her all the more interesting.

Finally I have one bold statement to make especially to some who might complain about this not being branded a DS9 book.

It Is A DS9 Book!

So is Plagues of Night.

Don't be fooled by the marketing gimmick on the cover (btw I hope it works and gets all the TNG lovers to buy it) this book is from start to finish a DS9 joint. The appearance by the Galactic West Wing cast and the Enterprise E crew is pure D guest appearance material. And that's fine, and great and wonderful. But trust me this is nothing but pure DS9 all the way.

I loved it and I am so looking forward to what happens next.

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes I know, the various authors that live here have said that (about ignoring the comics). It was just a thought seeing as the Praetor has probably ticked a few of her people off as well as some in the Pact, especially the Tzenkethi who IIRC 'helped' get her the job. Maybe she will end up living long enough to see Romulus turned to dust, at the rate the books are going it won't be too long until we find out.

14. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a great book. DRGIII needs to be given a few books to carry this story on next year. What a great book, galactic politics, great action, character moments.

Role on Brinksmanship

15. Toefur

Toefur Commander Red Shirt

Is Brinkamnship going to have much DS9 stuff in it, and follow on from Raise the Dawn, or is it mostly just Ezri Dax stuff?

16. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My review:

Now that I’ve finished RBoE, Plagues of Night, and Raise the Dawn, I feel very satisfied with the overall journey with RtD being very difficult to put down. It was very non-traditional and larger than life with so many characters, events, and settings that strung together a fairly epic chain which, in the end, has either resurrected DS9 in Trek lit or killed it.

Now that Sisko’s family situation has been resolved, I feel much better about his overall journey even though I still don’t believe his abandoning his family makes any sense.

Usually I don’t care much for the political strings in Trek stories but I actually looked forward to chapters involving the Romulan Praetor as she has been a very engaging character. She will make the Typhon Pact very interesting as she alone among the Pact leadership seems to understand the UFP and not want to make war with them. It should proof interesting as the other states act belligerent while the Romulans are the level-headed ones. That said, I’m left wondering how the Tzentheki feel about her as she has essentially thwarted their plans twice and they are the ones who brought her to power.

I have mixed feelings about the ending for the crew and station. I just found it a bit much to have O’Brien, Nog, and Odo all return to DS9. I love the characters and am glad to see them back, but I just don’t feel like they belong there. I was very pleased when O'Brien appeared; O”Brien and Nog I can understand wanting to build a new station but wonce that’s over, it will be like they are regressing rather than progressing in their career. Odo says Starfleet is unlikely to send a Slipstream vessel to return him to the Dominion. I think Starfleet could see value in taking the time to return a stranded head of state home, especially when he is a stabilizing force for the Dominion. With him gone, Laas could make them a dangerous force if/when the wormhole reopens.

And that is my biggest gripe, the wormhole being collapsed. Without it, DS9 seems pointless. No Gamma Quadrant, the Cardassians are an ally now. What’s going to be interesting about a space station in the ass end of space now?

So although I enjoyed DRG III’s overall DS9 story, found this book fairly outstanding, and will eagerly pick up his next book because he is a fine writer who weaves a great story, I’m left worried that he left DS9 in a worse state than he found it.

17. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I re-read a few passages last night. He doesn't really tell Sisko much about the present state of the Dominion, and in fact, pointedly declines to tell him about the sundering of the Great Link, apparently because his grief is keeping him from wanting to get into that right away.

I can see him wanting to be in/near Bajor while he mourns, and then returning via slipstream to continue his work. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but I don't think there are any more major stories to tell for him in the Alpha Quadrant, and I don't know that I really see him becoming a major force going forward.

18. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree that Starfleet may not see the value in expending resources to return him, but if he explains the situation, I can't see how they can refuse.

19. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't finished yet, but it's a cracking book so far

I've just got to the bit where Kira steals a runabout.

I have to admit I really like the Praetor and would like to see more of her in future books. Bacco is also great:)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Two amazing novels he's should be the onlyone to write DS9 novels from now on!