Buffy season nine discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That promo looks very cartoonish with the colouring and brightness. Perhaps that is the point of it. It is a little annoying.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

This was posted on Whedonesque earlier, under the title "Huge Buffy Season 9 spoiler"
    See here

So just beware if you click on it. It is however not some leaked info, its an official release. And its a cover image for #8 so you'll see it before you read the issue anyway. But just for here and now I'll discuss it in spoiler code

So, Buffy has her arm cut off?... ok? Natural reaction is is this gonna be real and not some dream or fake out, or she magically grows it back/heals the next issue etc
    Either way, yeah good one Allie on ruining it. "Why show it on the cover? It gets to be a drag saving all the juiciest stuff for the insides, and we think that it'll still have some surprise impact when it happens." :wtf: :wtf:
    Moron. So Mr. Allie, can you just tell me what happens at the end of Season 9 then so I don't have to bother buying any more issues?
    Also, I has suspicions before, but I seriously believe now that whole "oops leaked image of Angel-as-Twilight" two years ago was completely done on purpose. Like this it was nothing more than a marketing ploy for people to buy more issues and get some column inches.

3. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's made from Phil Noto's cover for #6, but the coloring is even weirder than in the released cover image.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii339/wenxina/Buffy%20related%20stuff/Buffyverse%20Season%209/Buffy%20Season%209/BuffyS9_6.jpg

Yeah, but we're actually supposed to only see it after we've read #5, 6 and 7. We're getting spoiled a lot because Dark Horse releases solicitations and covers for 4 issues in advance. Though some of the solicitations were misleading (like the one for Buffy #4). Still, I'm not clicking on that...

4. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh, it's just a flesh wound.

Some leftover demon is probably gonna fix her up again later...
    Or slayers can actually regrow limbs. There was never a definite word on that afaik.
    Or some doctors are gonna reattach the arm. Just like they once did with Spike's hands)

5. Admiral_Young

Interesting spoiler. Not really sure what to make of it other than it could be misleading.

6. DevilEyes

Someone spoiled it for me anyway so I decided to see it after all. Am I really the only who doubts that the cover is literal? If such a shocking moment was to happen in issue 8, there's no way they'd put it on the cover, is it? Would you put it on the cover if it was real?

7. Admiral_Young

I did say it could be misleading :) So you're not the only one who isn't taking it literally.

8. Ethros

As I said, like what they did with Angel as Twilight? Completely ruining it for everyone

9. Admiral_Young

10. DevilEyes

Just read #5. It ends with a 'surprising' plot twist that everyone on various Buffy forums has guessed months ago. Granted, mostly due to Jeanty spoiling things in his Q&A with his "hints". :rolleyes:

11. Admiral_Young

Spike and Buffy hooking up? Or the arm thing that was discussed? I have yet to read it.

12. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

have to read it yet I hope they do get back together I perfer spike than angel.

13. Admiral_Young

Now I know why DevilEyes had the reaction she did...wow. WTF? The issue was pretty good, the art wasn't. I'm not sure what to think about this...

14. Ethros

Just read Buffy #5
    Well I'm glad I don't read any of the Q&A's anymore then, I figure we get spoiled on purpose enough by Mr Scott Allie, idiot.
    I did guess it a bit at the start with Buffy being sick in the morning, but yeah interesting ending. So I guess everyone is asking who's the father. Suppose after #1 Xander would be a good choice after what did or didn't happen between them at the party. That just seems way too obvious though. There was Riley too, but again, mmm...
    I say it's Jasmine again!! ;)

15. Admiral_Young

^ This is what I've been trying to figure out....

16. DevilEyes

I don't think anything happened between Buffy and Xander at the party. That would be really weird if they had decided to cheat just like that and had sex in the room while Dawn and Willow were in the kitchen, who could've heard them since the party hasn't started, and both Buffy and Xander would've been sober at the time so even the alcohol would've been no excuse, and then Buffy went and hit on first Spike, then Riley ('cause, what, Xander didn't get the job done? :lol:) and ended up naked in her bed with someone's belt in it, while Xander was smooching Dawn? And Buffy later felt ashamed for hitting on a married man, but not for having sex with her sister's serious boyfriend?! Makes no sense at all.

Even those who think Xander may be the father think that something happened before the party and that this was what they were discussing, but I don't believe it, it would be really OOC and total character assassination for both; secondly, it seemed like he was the one with the problem (whatever it was, we still haven't learned) and she was telling him to confide in her ("Do you want to talk about it?" and holding his hand) which really doesn't seem like something she would do if she had slept with him. I can't imagine how or why she'd do that to Dawn, especially since she's not in love with Xander, she described them as "my sister, and my sister's boyfriend who's also my best friend" in this issue. But if somehow she did, she would feel incredibly guilty over it. I just don't see how that would work at all.

Besides, Jeanty and Allie have been hinting from the start that something happened at the party that changes Buffy's life. Buffy getting drunk seems to have been a setup to get her pregnant by some anonymous or near anonymous guy. Which opens all sorts of unpleasant questions, since we don't even know if she managed to remember what happened. In #1 she suspected she might have had sex but couldn't remember or guess who with. Unless she remembers, we have a dubious consent situation and probably a lot of trauma for Buffy. :scream:

I hate that they're leaving the audience with the stupid "who's the daddy" controversy. The identity of the father probably isn't even important at all. They just wanted to have an unplanned pregnancy storyline for Buffy and this is the way they decided to bring it about. I'll be OK with it as long as it's none of the characters we know and care about. Riley is too decent and happily married to have sex with drunken Buffy, and since he was sober it would make him look really bad, at the best he'd be a real sleezebag. Most people think that the most likely candidate is Heinrich the neighbor, who was probably introduced (even though we haven't seen him) just for that purpose. What doesn't quite sit well with me there is that it would mean that Buffy went to see this guy she didn't even know, visited him and introduced herself and immediately had sex with him within the 20 minutes she was there and then came back home to the party, which is really weird and OOC even with the alcohol involved. :wtf: It's also possible that it's some anonymous guy from the party we'll never see, or even (less likely) Tumble or Buffy's boss or some other human male at the party.

I'll really hate this if they treat it in a nudge nudge wink wink way as they have so far. Heroine gets pregnant from a blackout drunk sex she doesn't even remember and which therefore she might have been too drunk to consent to? Ugh. I hope they realize the problematic aspects of this. And then we get a month's worth of "who's the daddy" fandom wanks? Please clarify what happened in the next issue and kill this discussion, please.

edit: Scott Allie just revealed some things in the interview. Beware for spoilers.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36362

Buffy doesn't know who the father is. She got blackout drunk and she doesn't remember what happened. I suspected as much, based on #1.

Another spoiler is related to a big fight in #7 and the problem of how is Buffy going to be both a Slayer and a mother - if it's what she's going to be. (She could have an abortion? If they dare go there. Or she might miscarry.) I always figured the story was about that, not about the identity of the father, which I suspect we might never even find out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  17. Admiral_Young

Oy...I've a bad feeling about this. Also what was the deal with the First Slayer and the "not the Slayer" thing? We all know Faith is the "true" Slayer. Unless I totally missed the point of the dream sequences. I did love the fairy.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, the actual Slayer line hasn't gone through Buffy since the end of Season One, but she's always been considered THE Slayer.

I think the statement is more about Buffy's *spoiler thingy* than anything else.

19. DevilEyes

But how does the spoiler thing make her "not the Slayer"?

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah. I just took that the First Slayer was trying to tell Buffy something important about Faith. Maybe she was trying to tell it is time to give it up now and let the real slayer be the slayer or something.