Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Again, I am not talking about the previous HOSTS, I'm talking about the SYMBIONT. Nothing in Ezri DAX's personality made me think she(it) had hundreds of years of experience.

And I'm not sure we never saw Curzon's vivacity in Jadzia Dax. She liked to party allright.

@Finn: Yes Ezri's said to be confused because she wasn't trained. But Verad wasn't either, and still, he gained a lot of confidence.

2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Doing the Where The Wild Things Are dance with Nog is not solid evidence that Jadzia has fun like Curzon. She takes an interest in Tongo; so does O'Brien. She likes Klingons; so does Sisko. Like I said, we see just what Curzon was supposed to be like in Rene Auberjonois' performance, little of which is reflected Jadzia Dax. Only the interest in whom Sisko is dating really seems similar. But if anyone resembled Curzon Dax, it was probably Verad Dax. And for the sake of argument, we don't see any Joran in Ezri or Jadzia either, though we might see some of Tobin in Ezri.

Ultimately, I think that Sisko put it correctly in the Dax episode: this is an entirely new person.

3. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The most interesting question is why Female Changeling has chosen female appearance. I guess, her choice is somehow connected to both Odo and Kira. May be she has mixed Kira's appearence (female body) and Odo's appearence (shapeless face).

Yes, Odo will get better at faces with practice and time among humans.

4. Bad Thoughts

^Although he imitated a different species, Laas had a similarly stiff, unarticulated visage. Perhaps the shapeshifters prefer to go only half way when not needing to look entirely humanoid--the shapeshifter version of slouching, if you would.

5. Drusilla

Drusilla Ensign Red Shirt

If this was a thread called "things you thought were stupid on TNG", Deanna Troi would probably be on my list. Then again, as the series went on, Troi got a lot better. Ezri only had one season to be a pathetic idiot... no room for improvement.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

He somehow manages to have "full understanding" of every other object in the entire universe -- rodents, birds, potted plants, paintings -- just not humans.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always figured that to other rats and birds, Odo looked as fake as he does as a human.

8. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I reckon the first 3 MU epsiodes were good, but then we go those other 2 episodes,waste of time.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved DS9 from start to finish. I enjoyed the religious stuff, the political stuff, the Klingon stuff and the Dominion stuff. What I hated was the Odo/Kira unrequited love and romance. It felt very out-of-character for him, especially when he let his angst impact his performance as head of security.

I never bought into that.

10. Data girl

Data girl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I hated what they did to dukat in season 7. I especially the evil eyes. It almost looked funny.
    The CGI effects look very dated too.

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't hate Ezri. I would've prefered that Jadzia had just been transfered off the ship, but you know how it is ... when an actress tells STAR TREK she wants off the show, the producers don't take to it kindly. It would've played, I feel, for Bashir to have found some way to keep Dax alive and conscious in a beaker full of bubbling fluid with electrodes connected to it, so the worm ... thingy ... could remain on the show and talk to the cast and everybody else. It might've even been able to plug in, this way, to DS9's computer and take over certain functions. Of course, having the slug in the body of a young woman offered up more interesting possibilities ... but Dax by itself would've been interesting to get to know.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

What we need is that weird Ezri obsessed kid from the Star Trek.com boards to comment on this thread. You remember him 2takes?
    Going back to the OP I agree that the Odo - Kira thing always felt forced to me and that it was idiotic for them to only have runabouts for the first few seasons. As for Sisko being conceived due to the influence of the Prophets that made perfect sense to me. The Prophets could see all events at all times. They knew what was needed to save Bajor and they made it happen. It did not cheapen Sisko's actions in any way.

Ziyal annoyed me. Good riddance.

13. 2takesfrakes

Of course I still remember that kid - in fact, I still talk to him, occassionally. He's since entered a relationship with a real, live Human female. In relation to his crush on Ezri, he had this to say about his new love ...

"Now, there's a change of pace: A fantasy I can taste!"

14. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I once read speculation from Odo in a novel that the Founders engineered him with limits where humanoid faces were concerned so that he would forever know he wasn't one of them. That doesn't stand up well with Laas, though..

15. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

That's pretty a pretty good retcon. It would explain why the other Founders can do faces and impersonate anyone, but that Odo cannot.

I thought Laas's face was sort of undefined like Odos, just more in the direction of whoever he ended up with:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Laas

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I wasn't at all happy with Sisko's going off to be one with the Prophets and leaving his wife and kids behind. Even Sisko's line that he will return didn't work for me as he said it could be in the past (in keeping with the non-linear ways of the Wormhole aliens).

I didn't like Jake and Mardah breaking up. The station commander/Emissary's son dating a sexy dabo girl could have been an interesting character development for Jake (and plenty of worry for Sisko).

For me, the worst was not seeing Bajor being admitted into the Federation at the end of the series, the primary reason why DS9 was established not fulfilled, IMO.

17. 2takesfrakes

... AGREED!!!

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If they had done episodes after the war it would have made sense to see Bajor join the Federation, but it wouldn't have made sense to just tack it on at the end of the episode.

And even though Bajor had not joined the Federation they were clearly in harmony with the Federation and on course to join it very soon.

Laas's face looked undefined because he was trying to approximate Odo's choice of appearance to make him happy. As for Odo's face, I think that was more a makeup decision than a story decision. Can't say someone's a shapeshifter and have him just look human, he has to look like a smoothed over humanoid. Then they couldn't really make him look more and more human as the series went on because that makeup was his character's visual identity.

19. Bad Thoughts

^Laas says directly that he could not satisfactorily imitate humanoid features.

20. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

On looking a photo, he seems very Odo-esque in limitations. I was thinking of another actor/make-up job, I think.