General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you forgotten people like timothy so soon?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have actually LOL. Touche though :)

3. Satyrquaze

As I've admitted elsewhere, I'm very critical of TNA's product. I see people on various sites saying how it's gotten better and so I tune in and see nothing that disuades me from my original impression. All I see from one instance to another is spagetti thrown against the wall just to see what will stick. And it reminds me a great deal of WCW's product circa: 1999-2000.

That said, I won't be watching RAW tonight, either. I think I simply have lost most of my interest knowing that Jericho has wrestled his last match for the time being and as much as I like DBD and Punk, I feel very 'meh' about it.

4. Admiral_Young

^ I hear you. I've been jokingly calling it with my friends Monday Night Meh. They pretty much all agree with me and they're no where near as critical of it as I have been. I just want it to get back to last July and August. That isn't going to happen though. I realize that. I also don't want to "tolerate" it. I want to enjoy it...and I'm finding myself realizing that is happening less and less.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not watching the entire Raw show, but the parts I am include the whole Anger Management thing and Kane emulating Dr. Evil had me laughing. Some of the funniest stuff WWE has done in a long while.

6. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't see how that list would be complete without the likes of Sting, arguably synonymous with the name "WCW." What about Diamond Dallas Page? It's true he'd already been known for being a manager and wasn't exactly a young buck, but he was transformed into WCW's "People's Champ" at least a full year before The Rock made that nickname his own in the WWF, and was main-eventing not long after that.

Aside from any I might be overlooking due to it being rather late where I am, your point is nonetheless valid. WCW's legacy is arguably one of overlooking great talent (Austin, Foley, Undertaker, Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, etc.) more often than embracing and developing it.

7. Admiral_Young

The only segment of Raw I watched last night was the Triple H "farewell" segment. I thought it was pretty good and emotional. Problem is unlike say Edge where that was legit...this looks like it was just to take Trips off television for a long while, or at the very least not put him in any matches for the time being. I'm guessing most fans think he will be back at least for one more match, against Brock or someone else. I doubt very much that he will want to go with his "final" match being a loss.

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i started watching raw, but 50 minutes in i gave up. the whole lawler "will he, wont he" killed my interested in the show. and nothing else was grabbing me in that first hour. its the first time i tuned out, and just caught highlights online.

9. Satyrquaze

I got home last night after RAW was over and my roommate was telling me about Kane's anger management session. So I had to google that and I thought it was pretty damn funny.

10. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I'm bored of that faux retirement crap that pro wrestling has been spilling out for at least the last couple of decades. I'd rather see them do a Rocky III type storyline with Triple H admitting that he doesn't think he has what it takes any more, following his loss to Brock Lesnar. You'd then have Brock re-emerge and goad Triple H into getting back into the ring, followed by a few weeks of viginettes with Triple H training and receiving encouragement from all sorts of people, before the big match (at HIAC, most likely) in which Triple H defeats Lesnar in a hard fought, and hopefully better battle.

11. Admiral_Young

I still don't like how they've handled Brock's return either. Using Lawler to turn Punk full heel? LOL. WOW. It's gonna take something "special" to get me fully interested in WWE again. I am falling back into one of my pro wrestling hiatuses right now.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was watching that last night and was thinking, do they really don't have any "talent" to use to turn a guy fully heel? It's the same thing I felt with the whole Michael Cole thing last year. Lawler may be a hall of famer, but he's only good behind the commentary table. To use him as kind of the "Heel Bait" now strikes me as they don't know who else to use and for someone as high as CM Punk (Who's last year's program with Cena was the best since Nexus first burst on the scene) was kind of sad.

13. Caligula

Would've made more sense if Punk had kicked one of the Divas in the head, similar to the time Stone Cold Steve Austin (w/ Triple H) beat up Lita (along with the Hardy Boyz).

14. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Oh, I raged so much. There I was, enjoying watching Lawler get his useless, misogynistic ass get beat five ways to Sunday, then out comes Super Cena, and what does he shout? "You've crossed the line!" Fuck off! Was it crossing the line when Cena took joy in beating up Michael Cole, stripping him down and covering him in bbq sauce? Was it crossing a line when he blasted John Laurinaitis with a fire extinguisher, poured water on him, then threw trash all over him?

Meanwhile, where was King when these events were happening? Oh yeah, he was sat behind his table having a good laugh. At least when it was happening to him, Cole showed some restraint and was professional. Does creative think we're stupid or amnesiacs? Or was that justified by Big Johnny and Cole being 'heels'?

15. Caligula

I'd say they're banking on it being a mixture of both.

16. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I watched a bit of the Hard Knocks Benoit documentary on YouTube last night, it's shocking when you realise that just three years later he murdered his family and killed himself without any real indication that there was anything wrong with him. The DVD was made in 2004 when Benoit was in the midst of his World Heavyweight Championship run, it's hard to imagine that this is the same guy who went on to commit such atrocities. He comes across as being incredibly modest, polite and sensitive. Furthermore, Benoit talks fondly about his friends and family and you can tell he really cares about them. He talks about being humbled when fans highly rate his matches and body of work and how he relishes the opportunities to work at the top and with the best.

... I honestly think that a few days or weeks before the murders, his years of brain trauma finally caught up to him and the sanity fuse blew. He just completely lost it...

Anyway, in other news, apparently CM Punk bladed during the match with Jerry Lawler on Raw. It's been said that he was seen passing Charles Robinson something - which was presumably the blade he used - just after drawing blood. Punk apparently recieved no reprimanding whatsoever, which suggests that either his backstage power is up there with the top guys or that WWE's stance on blading has softened up for those special occasions in which extra drama is required.

17. Satyrquaze

^It ws interesting watching Charles Robinson fumbling to put on rubber gloves directly after Punk would have bladed.

18. Admiral_Young

I'm sure that'll be in the next Botchamania.

19. Satyrquaze

Maybe, but I don't recall anyone rushing to put on gloves during a match before. I mean I understand why they would, but I don't believe I've seen it before.

Charles Robinson was basically Ric Flair's personal Ref for a while back in WCW and Ric would get opened up after dropping an elbow on his coat back in the day.

20. Admiral_Young

Ahhh... Little 'Natch. Ugh.