PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Space Jesus is neither profound nor original. It's just stupid. The movie wouldn't have suddenly become a masterpiece had they dared to tread where a thousand hacks have tread before.

[​IMG]

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

According to Dr. Anil Biltoo of the University of London (the fellow seen early in the film giving David his language lesson), THIS is exactly what David said to the Engineer at Weyland's request:

ida hmanâm aî kya namrrtuh zdêêtaha. gwhivah-pyorn-îttham sas daatrr kredah.
    This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life.

The Engineers' language, as seen in the film, is Biltoo's own reconstruction of the Proto-Indo-European language. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_language

So David DID deliver Weyland's message, with no ulterior motive. It was simply the wrong question to ask. "He chose...poorly."

Here's the article I got this from: http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer/

3. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Also, apparently there were two versions of the Zombie Fifield scene shot - one as we saw in the film (with practical effects and the actual actor), the other with clean plates and a CGI Fifield intended who would have been MUCH closer to the bug we all love and fear:

http://cdn.chud.com/4/44/44852290_1340148988581.jpeg
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5n7cfohMV1qh0og3o1_1280.jpg

Oh, and we wouldn't have seen the last of Millburn after that second trip to the alien ship/temple, either:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ddisJMU51qfdr99o1_1280.jpg

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Interesting...

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/topic/7436

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ust-ruin-the-mysteries-of-prometheus-20120614

So lots of mythology wrapped up in science fiction. Wonder how much of this will be expounded upon in the sequel..

Hmmm...It's already the highest grossing Aliens movie ever. It made $100 million in 13 days, and $227 million worldwide..budget: $130 million.

If the plot really is as convoluted as I linked above, it's kind of amazing the movie did this well...

RAMA

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was kidding and parodying a former poster in the spirit of the posts above that one, in particular one pointing out how terrible the movie is and claiming he was the only one in his theater.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ah, I just read of that poster after posting...why do people get such pleasure out of saying they paid money then left the theater? I'll never figure that one out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think I've only really walked out of a couple of movies ever the last one being when I was in high school.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It struck me that this alien culture(s) was highly ritualistic and obsessed with icons and symbology. While some of the speculation might be unfounded as it's not directly stated in the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a bolder step in making it more directly tied into mythology in the next movie.

9. Locutus of Bored

You misunderstand. I'm not questioning that Ridley Scott considered the Space Jesus story angle. He said himself that that was the original idea for why the Engineers turned on humanity 2,000 years ago (and I posted his quote on the matter earlier). I'm simply saying that the Space Jesus idea itself is neither profound, original, or particularly interesting.

10. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I was forced to walk out of a film that had brief nudity when I was a child by a friend's parent, but have never voluntarily walked out of a movie I paid to see. But then, I usually go with friends I can make fun of the movie with if need be.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Never ever walked out of a film.

One of many things in the film that makes no sense. Of course perhaps she genuinely worried for her father, perhaps she wanted him to be proud of her so she tagged along to get the validation she craved, maybe Weyland made her go (hard to see how, or in fact why he'd do this). We aren't given even a smidgen of evidence for any of these things in the film however. Vikers is there...well for some reason?

12. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

She wasn't made to go, didn't she say she didn't want to hang around and squabble over who had control of the company? I assume Vickers is there for more allegory. Weyland's rejection of his flesh and blood for his synethic "son" David. His refusal to die and let his offspring flourish (which is crap, IMHO, because if you can't be your own person without your parent dying, then that's on you, not them.)

I was wondering about the big the red space suits that were in the background of at least one scene.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

No, I don't think it's profound, and I've seen it used in SF before, however, I do find the way they melded it into the story interesting...its a case of damned if they do (from the theists) damned if they don't (Well they didn't SAY that in the movie--that's you Rojo)...so they took the middle road...I'm just hoping if they posit this, then they follow through, at least that would be bolder. Personally, the Persian myths link sounds more interesting to me as a story.

Edit: Its alo possible RIdley wanted to leave his options open, so he could go in any mythological direction he chose in the sequel..we'll see. Quite frankly, I'll take Prometheus over any Michael Bay movie...

RAMA

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

that's the hilariously WRONG reaction from her. You'd think dragging a kid out because he saw some boobs or butt would only make it a bigger deal in his mind. Had she just ignored it, you as a kid would probably not have made a big deal about it.

15. Locutus of Bored

We'll need a limbo champion to squeeze under a bar set that low. Maybe Fifield can spider-walk beneath it if he doesn't get lost on the way there.

16. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    If I recall correctly, the film was Ice Pirates. I haven't seen the movie since then, but I remember it being quite adult, and now wonder what possessed her to take children to see it.

Brad Jones, an Internet critic who gave Prometheus a glowing review recently re-reviewed the movie after reading all of the negative reactions online.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5YWUeDHFjQ&feature=plcp[/yt]

:lol:

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the current total of US$227m is not exactly high, but about enough to turn a profit.

Though it's done fairly well in the UK alone which accounts for about 20% of the International Box office at ~US$31m. (which allowing for population differenaces would be equate to ~US$135m)

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

@TremblingBluStar: ^Fucking brilliant! :lol:

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Sure. If that was the ONLY two choices. Thank Zeus, it isn't.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Could a slighlty poor US book office taking be down the later relase date and to word of mouth about the quality/issues of the film from places like the UK.