Ferengi Corporations

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Jan 14, 2012.

1. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A corporation has to have a board of directors and shareholders. However, one person can hold all the stock in a corporation and be the entire board of directors, as well as all of the corporate officer positions. This is extremely common in small business because it provides the personal liability protection that a sole proprietorship does not. So, yes, a corporation can be a one-person operation.

And it makes total sense that someone as shrewd as Quark would set up his business dealings in such a way that if the latest person he dealt with decided to sue him, they could go after his business assets, but not his personal ones.

2. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is still no direct evidence that Quark's business is a corporation and really when I am talking about Ferengi Corporations, I am talking about huge expansive megacorps, not a small business that incorporates. I just think if the Ferengi were supposed to menacing villains and were supposed to be a commentary of the evils of excessive capitalism, they should have been presented as corporate villains rather then generic space pirates.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no such thing as a "good" corporation. A corporation inherently functions in a sociopathic manner.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like them better this way. They were quite diverse from arms dealers to simple folks. As a villain they would probably have been a whole lot less diverse. I like the idea of a society where everyone is so out for their own profit that mega corporations don't work out due to in fighting and back stabbing.. so they do business without that level of cooperation. Their alliances are short lived it seems, for the profit of the moment. It works for them and fits their driving purpose in life.

5. The Overlord

You could argue they are less diverse if they are in mega corps, but they would have been far more menacing if they were organized as mega corporations. The Ferengi are just not menacing because they have no impulse control, they can't enact any epic long term schemes, because they will get distracted but some small possibility of immediate profit. Before Quark came along none of the Ferengi came off as competent schemers. A villain needs to menacing and threatening to be effective and the Ferengi acting like greedy impulsive children doesn't make for a threatening villain, which is why they were bumped down to comic relief.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But their purpose wasn't to be the villain the way the Klingons were. Everything doesn't have to be large scale. They would never be large scale villains because they need the non Ferengi races to leech off of and exploit.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Who do you think the Ferengi Corporations' shareholders would be? ;)

8. The Overlord

But if they can't do anything large scale then they aren't very menacing villains, are they? Every other civilization they can organize themselves well comes off as more threatening then the Ferengi who have no long term planning abilities. The schemes of the Cardassians and Romulans seem far dangerous then the Ferengi who will just get distracted by anything shiny. In the world of intergalactic relations, the civilization with no impulse control will be the loser.

The Ferengi frankly should have different races working for them when they first appeared, they should have had someone else be the muscle for them. They don't look very menacing, they are merchants not soldiers, so they should hire others to fight for them. They should have been schemers, not fighters, but they weren't very good scheming in TNG. But they were presented as greedy children in early TNG, so they didn't seem to be smart enough to come up with a good scheme or hire a stronger race to be their muscle, that's why they were demoted to comic relief.

I don't think you can have a civilization be commentary on the dark side of capitalism and not have something as important to modern capitalism as corporations are.

9. ambessalion

ambessalion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i had said on another forum that the Ferengi/Federation antagonism would have been perfect analog as a 19th century mercantilism vs transcendentalism of the US and Europe if the Ferengi hadn't been portrayed as a bunch of idiotic clowns with energy whips...

even on DS9, they were still treated as rather silly though eventually they became more serious (barely though)