Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it Disney and not Cartoon who pulled the plug?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Well, that's a given at this point since the cancellation came on the heels of the Disney takeover so they were connected. I just meant the official cancellation announcement from Cartoon Network. Disney can issue an edict ordering production to stop but the official cancellation itself was in the hands of the network and they're the ones who had to formally pull the plug.

For instance, NBC cancelled the original Trek, not Desilu or Paramount, while on the other hand Disney decided it was time for The Clone Wars to end. Sometimes the studio kills a project before a network even has the chance to make a call.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't believe it was CN given how badly they were doing, TCW was one of their few bright spots.

4. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

The way I heard it was Clone Wars was going to Disney XD then somewhere it came out that it was in fact cancelled by Disney, not Cartoon Network.

5. cooleddie74

If that's the case then thanks for the correction. Studio and network politics can often be a mess to sort through.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So basically Disney did the same thing to The Clone Wars that they did to The Spectacular Spider-Man?

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That was Marvel and Sony though.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, yes, exactly. Spectacular was a Sony co-production, but Sony gave up the TV rights to Spider-Man in exchange for getting to keep the movie rights. And once Marvel had the TV rights back, they elected to end SSM and make their own show instead, which is why we're now stuck with the vastly inferior Ultimate Spider-Man.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mistake, I thought that happened after Disney had control of Marvel.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Err, maybe it was. It might've been Sony and Disney that made the deal about how to divvy up the Spider-Man rights. I'm not sure of the timing.

11. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"Very poor choice of words." - Joker

Just like bad Star Wars stories, including ones that trash previous continuity while managing to miss the point of Attack of the Clones.

13. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding the Clone Wars Season 5 DVD, what did they do with "Revival"? Did they keep it as the first episode, since it aired as a season premier on TV, or did they move it back to being part of the Darth Maul arc?

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They moved it back.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. cooleddie74

Just saw that announcement over on Facebook. I have to say, it's disappointing. Sure, we'll be getting the remaining content to wrap up the TCW storyline, but it won't be nearly the same and I imagine this is going to make a lot of fans pretty upset.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is going to be in addition to the last episodes that were produced, right? If so it'll be nice to see some of the stuff that they never got a chance to actually produce. If it's instead of the episodes, then that is really aggravating.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Heddle with LucasBooks just tweeted:

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that tweet means we're getting both the episodes and a comic tying up another arc that sounds good. I might even check those out and I haven't bought a comic in years.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I just consider this another fuck you from Disney in regards to The Clone Wars. The final Darth Maul arc would have made a terrific direct-to-DVD movie. It would have been another chance for Sam Witwer to continue his amazing voice work as Maul and Disney would have made a quick buck on this. I want to SEE the final Maul adventure, not read about him. It still annoys me that Disney cut short the sixth season of The Clone Wars.

I'm glad Dark Horse will get to tell the tale at least though it's just a reminder that prequel era stories will be coming to an end once Marvel gets Star Wars back. Whatever you might have thought about the prequel films, I've found the prequels books and comics on a whole to be really good.