Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's a thought. With so much Marvel programming now, and more on the way, would it make sense to create a Marvel subforum?

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I've suggested a comicbook forum that includes comics, live action, cartoons, etc. It didn't make sense to me to narrow it to just Marvel.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No thank you.

If we let you ship us off to some dank box on the periphery, I'm not sure you'll ever let us out.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

A comics subform has been suggested and suggest ad infinitum and it's continually rejected. We do have a sister forum for the CSI series, though!

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am bizarrely proud of myself that, having dvr'd the first 5 episodes, I watched them and read ALL of the posts in this thread.

What a pointless accomplishment! Ah, the joys of not working!

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing Wheadon likes to do is place characters in a series that are fated to be killed or turn out not to be as "good" as we think they are. I got the impression from this scene that maybe Fitz is the mole we thought Skye was.

I really think that the suggestions are decoys. I think that something happened to Coulson that is "out of the ordinary" but that he's not an artificial lifeform. (In fact, I see no reason the original Torch can't appear in an episode as long as his name is not used.) I think that there is something else--perhaps he is immortal, for example.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I visit this forum often enough, so I don't get overwhelmed by the volume of posts in the threads I follow. Besides, I'm not obligated to read every single post, but it's nice to chime in and put in my two cents. :)

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, so apparently May died before too, and I'd suspect that's related to why she didn't do field work anymore at first. Did anyone mention that yet?

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

We mentioned it, but we don't all agree with that interpretation. Here was my take:

10. CorporalCaptain

^ OK, found it.

I'm going to argue that if she didn't actually die too, then it was a poorly written line. That's because it's considered bad form to compare your bad experiences with someone else's when yours pale by comparison with theirs, and that's the sort of courtesy that I have a hard believing that Coulson and May wouldn't both respect. :shrug:

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Who's to say yet whether her experience paled in comparison to his? She might have been captured and tortured for months, for example.

12. CorporalCaptain

Alright, I would probably buy that. I think that that's a little dark, given what we've seen so far in the show, but sure....

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

THREE, sir.
    (*throws Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch*)

14. The Old Mixer

Or she could have been brainwashed and turned against SHIELD...or could have had to make a tough call in the field that was the right call for the mission, but cost the lives of her teammates. Whatever she went through, Coulson knows about it, understands it, and clearly doesn't consider it to pale before his own experience.

15. CorporalCaptain

I agree with this.

When I saw the scene, including the part about scars that remind us, I just had a limited view of what the real possibilities ought to be. I'm perfectly willing to postpone judgment on whether it makes sense until after the revelation. :techman:

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with the Old Mixer re: Coulson and May's after-action conversation.

One more reveal to look forward to...

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's worth pointing out:

When people are trying to misdirect you, they want you to jump to conclusions based on inadequate evidence. Whatever first impressions we take away from this show are probably the ones they want to trick us into taking away. So we should take care to question and second-guess our first impressions, and to be open to alternative readings of what we see and hear.

18. The Old Mixer

I'm sure that her scars are the kind that you can't show by taking off your shirt...which is our loss, but it makes her an intriguing character.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She turns 50 in 11 days.

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's interesting that she came across as a mature, rather plain professional woman as Senator Wen on Eureka, but put her in leathers and an "I'll kill you for breathing wrong" expression, and she's hot as hell.