Phase II "Going Boldly" (new vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dru, Aug 6, 2012.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The Star Trek Phase II Writer's/Directors' Guide is here:

http://www.ti-elvis.com/Phase2WritersGuide.html

We've toyed with the idea of having Brion undergo "reprogramming" to make him gay. We're not sure what the LGBT community would think of us reprogramming a character's sexual orientation. (Presumably if the LGBT community thinks it's wrong to "fix" a LGBT character to make him straight, they would also have problems with a straight character being "fixed" to mak him gay. But we wanted to stand it on its head to see how it looks.)

Mostly it's all theoretical. With "Kitumba," "The Protracted Man," "Mind-Sifter," and "Bread and Savagery" pretty much in the can in post-production and with "Troublesome Minds" and "The Holiest Thing" in pre-production, and with a release from us about one a year, we probably won't have to worry about any potential Brion Freeman Star Trek Phase II story lines for quite a while.

Love interest deaths/break-ups in Star Trek:

Gary Mitchell/Elizabeth Dehner
    Leonard Mcoy/"Nancy Crater"
    Janice Rand/Charlie Evans
    Mister Spock/Christine Chapel
    Angela Martine/Robert Tomlinson
    Christine Chapel/Roger Korby
    James Kirk/Lenore Karidian
    James Kirk/Areel Shaw
    Khan Noonia Singh/Marla McGivers
    Mister Spock/Leila Kalomi
    James Kirk/Edith Keeler
    George Samuel Kirk/Aurelan Kirk
    Mister Spock/T'Pring
    Carolyn Palamas/Apollo
    James Kirk/Shayna
    Tyree/Nona
    James Kirk/Kelinda
    Mister Spock/The Romulan Commander
    Kirok/Miramanee
    Lawrence Marvick/Miranda Jones
    James Kirk/Deela
    James Kirk/Elaan, Dohlman of Elaas
    James Kirk/Marta the Orion Girl
    James Kirk/Odonna
    Pavel Chekov/Irina Galliuin
    James Kirk/Reena Kapeck
    Mister Spock/Droxine
    Mister Spock/Zarabeth
    James Kirk/Janice Lester

Relationships we really don't know what happened to:

James Kirk/Helen Noel?
    Angeline Martine-Teller/Esteban Rodriquez?
    Carolyn Palamas/Montgomery Scott?
    Pavel Chekov/Martha Landon?
    James Kirk/Dr. Janet Wallace?
    Leonard McCoy/Natira?
    Montgomery Scott/Mira Romaine?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I just watched the 10 min clip. I thought that it was well done for the most part. The lighting and effects were nice. I LOVED the refit scenes of the ship.

That said, I was honestly bored out of my mind with the long winded service and speeches. I'm a big fan of an engaging story with good dialogue and do not need constant action and conflict like most ADD people now-a-days, but this clip wasn't very engaging.

Meh- I guess I'm not going to like everything and in the end, but it's still really good series that I'm glad people are taking the time to put together for us! I'm just giving my honest opinion on the clip.

I also really liked that the concept starbase was used. That was super cool. I would like to see the concept Reliant with the nacelles above it's hull too...

And more nudity. Women though- I'm biased on that one. ;)

3. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not 100% true to the concept (e.g., rollbar instead of two separate torpedo packs), but Tobias Richter's (the artist behind the new effects) company actually did something like that many years ago: http://www.thelightworks.com/images/pics/ref_illustration/trek_barrier_wall.jpg And while you're at it, check out that site in general to see the experience he and his company can contribute to the series.

4. GSchnitzer

Yes, the vignette is too long and plodding with nothing but talking heads. It probably shoud have been shorter by half. Even the shot-for-shot re-do of the Enterprise leaving drydock from The Wrath of Khan is just too long.

The shots of the Enterprise leaving the asteroid/drydock is an homage to a drawing done in 1976 by Ralph McQuarrie:

[​IMG]

And yes, we need more naked women in our productions. As the Co-Executive Producer, my casting couch is wide open.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I spotted this. I loved it!

No way. :techman:

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think I'd re-categorize that slightly:

One-direction crushes
    Janice Rand/Charlie Evans
    Mister Spock/Christine Chapel

James Kirk, Manipulator, but will "explain this Earth thing called kissing"
    James Kirk/Lenore Karidian
    James Kirk/Kelinda
    James Kirk/Shayna
    James Kirk/Deela
    James Kirk/Marta the Orion Girl

Under duress/chemical manipulation
    James Kirk/Elaan, Dohlman of Elaas

Only cuz we have to
    Mister Spock/T'Pring

Mutual Interest
    Gary Mitchell/Elizabeth Dehner
    Leonard Mcoy/"Nancy Crater"
    Angela Martine/Robert Tomlinson
    Christine Chapel/Roger Korby
    James Kirk/Areel Shaw
    Khan Noonia Singh/Marla McGivers
    Mister Spock/Leila Kalomi
    James Kirk/Edith Keeler
    George Samuel Kirk/Aurelan Kirk
    Carolyn Palamas/Apollo
    Tyree/Nona
    Mister Spock/The Romulan Commander
    Kirok/Miramanee
    Lawrence Marvick/Miranda Jones
    James Kirk/Odonna
    Pavel Chekov/Irina Galliuin
    James Kirk/Reena Kapeck
    Mister Spock/Droxine
    Mister Spock/Zarabeth
    James Kirk/Janice Lester

;)

7. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Did Dr. McCoy have two love intrests, I remember two, the salt vanpire, and the woman on the astoriod.... as far as ST TOS.
    Help me Ronda....

8. CorporalCaptain

There's an additional and interesting layer to at least three of these instances.

Lenore Karidian, Queen Deela, and Marta were all manipulating Kirk, too. In fact, Lenore really had the upper hand, because Kirk never seemed to suspect her, but rather only suspected her father. In these instances, the females are anything but vulnerable objects to the Kirkness. Sex was used as a weapon on both sides. Arguably, Spock/Romulan Commander falls into this category too, even though they apparently really did fall for each other.

9. GSchnitzer

Well, pretty much any way your slice it, 33-year-old Kirk hooking up with 19-year-old Lenore Karidian--for whatever reason--is a little creepy.

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it and am looking forward to seeing how the new Cap'n works out. It did take me a while to figure out who was supposed to be speaking at the start. He sounded like a teenager and I didn't feel the strength I should have when seeing Kirk talk his way out of command orders. There was a lack of gravitas there. Still, I'll give myself time to get used to him, I'm sure he'll be fine. Took me a bit to get used to James Cawley, too and he had the tougher job of fighting the Shatner image. Like taking over for Sean Connery. Roger Moore had it easier than George Lazenby.

Really liked the new Enterprise. Arex was cool to see, but unless you really can get him to look realistic, I'd be okay with you dropping him.

We've got like a half dozen episodes to see before the new version kicks in, it feels like, but I'm looking forward to it.

11. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

George Lazenby's 007 is highly underrated.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

If i'm not mistaken there were holographic ships in the original script. Might we see them in this episode? How faithful is it to the original script?

13. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

From my observations regarding Kirk and women, I think the only two females Kirk fell in love with were Edith Keeler (City of the Edge of Forever) and Miramanee (The Paradise Syndrome).

All the others were strategic moves by the good captain. If a man got between Kirk and the Enterprise, he'd knock him out. But if a women came between the captain and his ship, Kirk tried a kinder, gentler approach. And if that didn't work, the captain knocked her out (equal opportunity and all that).

There's a telling scene in "The Mark of Gideon" when Odona interrupts Kirk's flirtations by stating he must be worried about the rest of his crew since they're nowhere to be found on the Enterprise. Shatner's face changes from "come hither" to an expression of anger, then back to the look before.

I always thought that explained a lot about Kirk's "womanizing." It was a strategy, not an attempt to take his boots off. But hey, that's just me....

14. GSchnitzer

I think the original contention was that "most of the love stories in Star Trek end in death or a break up."

I think Captain Kirk said it best: "I mean, it's not a one-way street, you know--how you feel and that's all. It's how the girl feels, too."

Except for Edith Keeler and Miramanee, all others might well have been strategic moves on Kirk's part. But a "love story" includes someone who might well have been in love with the captain--even if that love wasn't genuinely reciprocated and even if he was simply toying with them or manipulating them.

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back to the subject of Arex, what tools were used to create him and "insert" him into the shot? Maya, LightWave, After Effects...Poser? (Just kidding about that last one. I know that's a "dirty word" in high-end CG circles.)

Sincerely,

Bill

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since The Light Works is a Maya shop that would be my first guess.

17. Karnbeln

Karnbeln Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad Phase II went through with the refit concept, I was disappointed when it was reported they were going to listen to the detractors and stick with the original design (though I like the changes they've made to the refit since they first unveiled the concept). This is part of what is great about Phase II: They go to the utmost lengths to strive for authenticity, but aren't afraid to go in new directions and push the boundaries some of us have erected around Star Trek, be it in story or imagery.

Cawley will be missed, but I look forward to the new Kirk.

18. CorporalCaptain

I take issue with calling all those who recommended against going with a refit Enterprise "detractors".

19. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

We used Maya and ZBrush for the model, Fusion for compositing.

Best wishes
    Tobias

20. Linnear

Linnear Lieutenant Commander

And Tobias is a genius. Jus sayin......

Alec