Barnes & Nobel shrinking

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by CaptainDonovin, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Get the ISBNs off Amazon; that's the most efficient way for bookshops to place orders.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Therin thanks for the tip That's really handy to know that when you order books.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Casual browing the shelves is how I've always found my books. As far as recommendations, I tend to like books that others don't and vice-versa.

4. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I buy enough from B&N every year to justify the $25 annual membership. I used to stop in the store every month to buy the latest Trek book and browse other areas but lately I decided that since my membership gives me free shipping I save more by pre-ordering on their website and not wasting gas to drive to the other side of town and back. I do miss the monthly browse through the store but will still get by there at least once a quarter to buy the Star Trek Magazine because the postal service cannot deliver it in mint condition. I've been collecting Trek mags for far too long to skimp on the magazines! I go back to The Official Fan Club No. 42 if memory serves me right, as well as the various Starlog Trek zines, and every issue and incarnation since (this amounts now to several hundred Trek mags all in plastic protectors).

Kevin

5. Therin of Andor

Then ask us about books we hated.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nah...
    :cool:

7. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am so resistant to the idea of e-books or ordering online, but see no alternative eventually. A few years back I was in easy drive of 4 Borders and 5 B+N's. Now it's just 4 B+N's.

8. Therin of Andor

Online ordering is cool! When Amazon started letting other bookshops and book sellers list their second hand stock online, it opened up the possibility of filling every gap in my collection that 40-odd years of browsing in real shops had failed to do. Which I did. In some cases I found books for 2 cents each (plus airmail postage) that I'd been prepared to pay hundreds of dollars to own.

As for eBooks, I took both MMPBs and an eBook (on my iPhone) on my recent overseas trip. The eBook was an out-of-print, but quite recent book that I tried to order in from several local shops. It was great to be able to switch back and forth in formats while on planes and in boarding lounges, depending on lighting conditions, sleeping neighbouring passengers and fading battery charge.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I have two good local B&N stores in the area, one of which is right across from work and I'm in there frequently. I hope neither of those closes in the next year or two, as I often like to browse just to see what's there. I use Amazon as well for stuff I can't find directly on the shelves, but I don't bother with eReaders at this point (I'm old fashioned :angel:).

11. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think traditional bookstores will be replaced by boutique stores with electronic/holographic browsing and print-on-demand books.

12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This. Very much This.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see that happening. I don't know if I'd even see them as stores though, I'd think they'd more likely be Redbox style kiosks in malls and stores like Wal-Mart or Target.