Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with most of what's being said. It's very clear that the film takes place in the same universe and includes millions of Alien tie-ins, however, the direct prequel status does not apply for the reasons already outlined. That said, it IS an Alien prequel ... just not the typical, run-of-the-mill variety.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda surprised the trailers so far aren't pointing out that this is an Alien prequel from the guy who directed the classic original movie that started it all. Even for non-scifi nerds, I would think that would be a big selling point.

Just a simple "From the Director of Alien" would be enough to get the job done, I think.

Although I guess it could be argued that the trailers are already so powerful and attention-grabbing that nothing more is really necessary at this point...

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I'm certain that the people who'd care about that don't need to be told who Ridley Scott is. As for the rest, well, they don't care. ;)

4. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Actually, one of the TV spots does just that.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbl0QNgs1WE[/yt]

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh cool, guess I missed that one.

6. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Hmm. My mic must not be working.

7. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

OK, I've just seen the release date and we get to see it one week before the US.
    Neat! :cool:

8. DestinyCaptain

I have just read the script Shadow 19. This is the one that some say was the basis for Prometheus. According to both Scott and Lindelof the source script was reworked. We do not know for sure that this script is the source, so take this for what it's worth.

Possible spoilage ahead.....

Centers on a space marine that is transferred to a top secret ministry of science type project that no one outside of their group truely knows about. They are involved in terraforming on a distant world through the use of a number of automated machines deployed there by a mother ship called Prometheus. As usual things are not what they seem. The marine has to make a tough decision.

It's okay. It kinda reminds me of a segment of the Outter Limits. It relies a little too heavily on technolgy and VFX tell the story. Its a lot like what you might get with Bruckheiner, Bay, or even Anderson. I am not sure how this had any affect on Scott's Alien prequel project when it was given to him, aside from the ships name.

I do think a few ideas might end up in the film one of them is the "Transporter". It's a unique spin on the concept. Course I could be wrong. Been wrong before.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The script you want to look for is called "Alien Harvest." And that's been radically reworked.

10. DestinyCaptain

From what has been said on some Alien boards is that Alien Harvast was a fan created script with the same writers name attached to it as Shadow 19. Although an interesting read, I hear on several of those Alien boards, it has nothing to do with the film.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Prometheus looks like Firefly's "Serenity" on steroids. :lol:

12. DestinyCaptain

Yeah, so I read the Alien Harvast script all the way through... It's awful. It is all over the place. It's entirely too preoccupied with sex and not hardly at all occupied with any substantive details about the Space Jockies or the Zenomorphs. It goes off in a dozen places that you'll find you care nothing about. It's bland. It's dull. It's a little too convienant in providing the back story Alien. It reads nothing like either Passengers or Shadow 19 wich have been authenticated as being written the scriptwriter Scott and Lindelof mention in the AMC interview. I doubt it's real or that it has anything to do with Prometheus.

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Alien Harvest" is indeed a fan script which was originally thought to be an early draft of what is now "Prometheus". The script writer credited with writing "Shadow 19" and "Passengers" (which Keannu Reeves was attached to for a while) is named Jon Spraits and has script credit for "Prometheus". Damon Lindelof was signed to write "Prometheus" from the the very start IIRC. Spraits we don't actually know what he was given for I believe, only these two have credit for writing "Prometheus".

15. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

According to this old Variety article, Spaiht's did pitch the story that eventually became the Prometheus film to Scott and the studio and wrote the first draft of the script (or scripts, I think back then they were still planning on shooting two films).

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes thanks for that...i'd forgotten about that.

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

In a Roman version of the myth, Prometheus creates mankind out of clay. In other versions, the myth also includes Pandora. Her eponymous box was originally a jar (pithos) that releases evil upon mankind that cannot be undone.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No question, this is a must see.

19. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that's quite likely the case. Didn't Ridley also re-insert the human-to-egg conversion scene back into his "Director's Cut" of Alien back in 2003? It implied a very different, and somewhat "alien", process than the one we see in Aliens with the queen just laying eggs.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    He did reinsert that scene, but he's also stated publicly (IIRC) that the "director's cut" label on that version was a publicity move by Twentieth Century Fox. He prefers the theatrical cut.