Normal people get the short end of the stick

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by myselfeneye, Jun 5, 2012.

1. myselfeneye

myselfeneye Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It seems like among DS9's main staff, people like O'Brien and Kira get the worst luck. They're basically normal people who have picked up some skills thanks to a past fighting Cardassians, but they work with some people who have the golden ticket to talent. A genetically-enhanced doctor, a shapeshifting security chief, a captain who's basically the son of the Prophets, a Trill with seven lifetimes of experience...it must be a lot of pressure working with peers like those! And then there's Worf...I mean, he doesn't really come with inherent bonuses that other Klingons don't, but as a Klingon he can kick some major ass...

I don't know. Wouldn't it suck to be the normal guy in that place?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know that I would describe Kira, with her prior life, as "normal." O'Brien is the regular joe on the show, he has a fairly normal marriage, a couple of kids, hobbys, isn't a genius, just kind of generally smart.

He isn't a officer, he's a grunt.

:)

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Normal folks at least have some chance in engineering. The sciences seem to be reserved almost entirely for the super-human aliens, robots or cyborgs.

4. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Engineering is science. I can't imagine you could understand the works of a 24th century space station or starship without being brilliant.

5. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

O'Brien is one of my favorites and I think he is very talented.