Alcatraz (FOX) "Pilot" & "Ernest Cobb" *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 16, 2012.

?

What did You Think Of The 2 Hour Premiere?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2013.
  1. ::::::::[ "Pilot" ]:::::

3.2%
  2. Excellent!

17.7%
  3. Good

54.8%
  4. Average

17.7%
  5. Bad

4.8%
  6. Horrible!

1.6%
  7. :::::[ "Ernest Cobb" ]:::::

3.2%
  8. Excellent!

14.5%
  9. Good

43.5%
  10. Average

21.0%
  11. Bad

1.6%
  12. Horrible!

1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alcatraz can now be added to the list of big event mystery laden dramas that have crashed and burn--Surface, Invasion, Persons Unknown, Caprica, The Nine, Kidnapped, Heroes, Harper's Island, Happy Town, The Event, Flash Forward etc. Networks need to learn these type of shows should no longer be greenlit--expect to add Revolution to the casualty list next year/

Now if the networks would get rid of the rest of the crap on their networks and start from scratch--I can't think of a single show currently on broadcast network worth renewing.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heroes past the first year counted for shit, but still 4 years is an accomplishment.

Harpers Island was designed to only be one season in length.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I will really miss the Warden and most scenes from 60's. The modern day stuff not so much.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It's now official... I'm never watching a show again until it gets a 2nd season. Frak 'em.

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sooo... DID Alcatraz go anywhere? Was anything revealed?

I think I got a half-dozen episodes in before giving up. Too much crime drama we've seen everywhere else before, not enough conspiracy, and even that was unengaging.

Mark

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'll miss those spheres.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah, that stuff was fascinating; the Warden was a great character--simultaneously creepy and likeable. The modern day stuff was so formulaic that it became dull very quickly.

8. Klaus

The warden was definitely the best part...

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warden wasn't the worst part of the show, but eh - he was just a familiar type that I've seen many times before. The big mystery went nowhere, so I wouldn't be watching even if it came back.

Well they showed us a map in a secret room at the end, but by then I was so bored of the whole thing, I didn't pay much attention and it certainly wasn't worth slogging through all those boring episodes for.

You should watch the CW, they're cleaning house pretty thoroughly. ;) So are NBC and ABC, they're all up shit creek, ratings-wise.

ABC at least won't be doing a lot of hand-waving mystery type shows, since they're going heavily into female-skewing soaps, inspired by the success of Revenge and Once Upon a Time. I guess those shows have "mystery" but they're mainly about soapy things - romance, rivalries, families, scheming, big dramatic emotional scenes. I like that stuff more when there are fantasy/supernatural elements attached.

But NBC needs to keeping trying to appeal to both male and female audiences - they can't waste the boost the Olympics will give them, and football saves their asses every year - so they've already picked up JJ Abrams' next one-season wonder, Revolution. There are rumors they may pick up a drama about 18th C pirates (well, that's different anyway) and there's a supernatural-ish Western called The Frontier that might also get the nod.

If NBC needs to attract men, then I think they need more adventure rather than mystery. Pirates and Conestoga wagons both move across a landscape and encounter stuff. That kind of show isn't very common anymore - it needs to be resurrected. I'm sick of shows where people are stuck just in one town or area, or it's all about where they work. I want them to go somewhere! Preferably in spaceships but boats and wagons will do in a pinch.

10. Guy Gardener

Y'know you just made me think abut enterprise in a completely different light.

Sphere Builders.

Yuk, yuk.

That's funny,

11. Klaus

If they did it in space, it'd be like "Wagon Train to the Stars"! :D

12. Guy Gardener

Kinda like Bonanza in Space?

13. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Well this sucks. That'll teach me to get into a show before season 2. :lol:
    I liked the Mustangs at least. Oh, and the warden.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh right, the blatant Mustang commercial in the final episode! :rommie: That was one of the best things in the whole show...

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The chase in the final episode was a shot for shot recreation of the chase from Bullit.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, incredibly done.

Heh, "Mustang commercial".

That scene gave my dad and I a great discussion, as it's a scene we reference often, I couldn't wait for him to see it if only for that reason (he downloaded the episode after I saw it "live")

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'll miss you Power Girl!

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure she will appear in something else in the future.

As for the show? I'm not upset it is gone. It is deserved, IMO.

19. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

All of the criticisms of the show are completely valid, and yet I enjoyed every stilted hackneyed filled cheese ball. It may have been a mess, but it was a mess made of many elements I enjoyed: Sam Neil, Hurley, a contrived mystery at Alcatraz, Power Girl and her obvious charms, Bullit, the killer of the week format, the pseudo science, the creepy doctor, the mad warden, secret underground facilities, bizarre experiments, and it didn't hurt that, at least, locally it re-aired late Saturday night, a slot I associate with reruns of The Twilight Zone, or the late movie. Many things about the show felt like a nod to 70s TV. Maybe not the best or most skillful nod, but while I won't cry, I will miss it.