MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I don't think last year is one they want to repeat. :lol:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I certainly wouldn't mind them repeating May through August.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Still sucks the way Francona was made a scapegoat for everything that went wrong. He didn't deserve to be run out of town on a rail. But they had to have their sacrificial lamb, and Tito was it. :sigh:

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Theo, too, and that's just the way the Red Sox do business, unfortunately. As I said in this thread a few months ago:

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this might only be for Timby's amusement, but I feel no shame in saying I thought it looked kind of cool. Anything to give the Marlins fans a good time.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWB4wUoPwQ&feature=g-logo&context=G208a652FOAAAAAAAAAA[/yt]

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Mother of God, it's more beautiful than I could have possibly imagined. So this is what Enlightenment feels like.

And I love that it took Omar "52 Career HR" Infante to awaken the creature.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

The hell? :confused:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUwprC9nM4[/yt]

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The ump's call was certainly confusing but, despite his initial reaction (which I guess was more of a "oh shit, I better get out of the way" instead of a "foul ball") he called it fair. Still, in situations like that, which are clearly confusing, I hate how umps still throw people out.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Depends on exactly what came out of Bud's mouth.

Some umps are more adversarial than others and will take less crap than others.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

So...how about them Nats?

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Playing surprisingly well. I have enjoyed watching them play, the series the Mets just had with them was awesome.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Well after all these years they've finally cancelled This Week In Baseball. :(

They replaced it with this lameass show called Player Poll which looks to be basically a bunch of interviews with players...

14. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman:

Except when they beat the Mets.

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

To quote your av, it should be condemned.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last night's Giants game was one of the best baseball games I've seen since Game 5 of the 2010 World Series. Both Lee and Cain were just dealing out there and an 11 inning game lasted less than 3 hours. If this was Red Sox/Yankees, that probably would have lasted like 5 hours, but this game last night was fast. I'm glad the Giants got the late run to win it, but that was baseball at it's finest.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was watching it on my iPad, one of the best games ever played. It's games like this that makes me love baseball so much.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The Sox and Yankees take a lot of crap for long games (and it's true, especially when playing each other), but i don't get the problem. Gets kinda old after a few hours, I guess, but aren't they doing EXACTLY what they should be? why have a bullpen if you won't use the pitchers to get the best possible matchups?

Granted, some of the delay is nonsense, but that's true of most games. The REAL reason why they take so long is that both teams go in with the same philosophy: Make the pitcher WORK. they are both in the top of the league every year in Pitches per Plate Appearance. they don't usually swing at the first pitch, more counts go full, they'll foul off a ton of pitches. Boring, but exactly what you should be doing. Better chance of getting *your* pitch to hit, and worst case, it chases the starting pitcher from the game earlier, which means you expose the crappier guys in the bullpen. If the starter stays to the 8th, and then you get the closer, that sucks. Chase him with a high pitch count by the 4th or 5th, and you're getting way crappier guys to hit off of, and better chance to win.

Again, boring to watch sometimes, but also exactly what they should be doing. When BOTH teams do it, it does take a while, though. Without it, you don't get things like the epic at-bat by Kevin Millar in 2004 ALCS, though, which led to a walk eventually, which led to the Dave Roberts steal, the huge comeback, and the 2004 World Series win.

Hell, that's how Youkilis was featured in MoneyBall as the Greek God of Walks (not Greek), right?

Has the attention span gone down so far that if you don't see a HR on the first pitch, you should just weakly ground out and get it over with so someone else can try for a HR?

When the pitchers are on fire, it's gonna be a short game no matter what. if both offenses are good, and work the pitchcounts, it's gonna be longer. No shit that pitching to 30 guys a game is faster than if 55 guys get an at-bat... :lol:

NL games are usually shorter anyway, as you've got (generally) some of the better pitchers, and weaker (on average) lineups. And you've got basically automatic outs in the pitcher spot every time through the order. That's a couple times a game that it's a quick out either through crappy hitting or an intentional sac bunt on the first or second pitch. not a shocker that it takes longer to get David Ortiz out 3 times than it does to get Cain out when he's holding a bat...

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Most of the time it's only jackasses like Joe West who complain about how long Redsox/Yankee games get.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Last minute decision, but ended up at Fenway for the 100th Anniversary celebration. Was very cool.

Other than Buchholz giving up 5 solo HRs and blowing the game after.

Still awesome to have been there. Had a little over 200 former players walk out onto the field one at a time, all kinds of eras represented. And had 4 living Hall of Famers (Pesky, Doerr, Yaz, and Rice) all there. Vaughn, Nomar, Pedro, Millar, had all sorts of cool people to see :)