Sparrow-class Frigate

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JES, Nov 17, 2012.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thought I had dropped off the face of planet, after over a month's absence? Well, a corrupted hard drive can really put you out of action for a while. But I'm back, and with a couple new designs!

So let me introduce you to the U.S.S. Sparrow, NX-81235!
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/8186253720/in/photostream/

I've mentioned my idea for a post-Nemesis design based on Forbin's Peregrine-class Frigate, and finally I'm taking this design concept seriously.

A distant descendent of the Surya and Coventry class Frigates, the Sparrow class was designed for system patrolling duties, though they can be used as support vessels during wartime. Though the lead vessel and the first run examples were not so equipped when first commissioned, like the Pelagic class, they were designed to be equipped with quantum slipstream drives, and by the time the Starship Vesta had her debut, most Sparrows were either equipped with quantum slipstream, or undergoing the necessary upgrades. Being equipped with this drive makes it possible to deploy these frigates to anywhere they are needed, even in other parts of the galaxy, or to other nearby galaxies. This makes the Sparrow class ideal for being sent on assignments in new colonies or member planets in different quadrants of the galaxy, so that they aren't unprotected. The bottom turret was almost practically begging to be equipped with the much rumored transphasic torpedoes when the Sparrow was first commissioned, but the Department of Temporal Investigations wouldn't have any of it, which would prove regrettable when many members of this class would be among the vessels destroyed during the Borg Incursion of 2382. The Sparrow class is also equipped with several point defense phasers, which were introduced on the Majestic class, designed by Malcolm Lu, and 4 pulse phaser turrets.

This was my first attempt to use artistic markers in an attempt to bring my work one step closer to Atolm's amazing artwork. Unfortunately, I found out these markers don't have a lack of bleeding like I had hoped, and don't have the precision necessary for details as small as I usually like to make, meaning I should have sketched on a bigger scale. I'll also never use these markers on line paper again, seeing as how they bleed through.

I intend to try them out again, but on the thicker drawing paper. I am also working on a sub-class based on the Miranda/Avenger class's weapons pod configuration which I was originally going to call the Falcon class, but upon seeing that the name is rather common in fanon, I decided to go with Falken instead (which for those who are into Ace Combat, you might recognize). This will be the sketch that I will try the markers on. I am also thinking on making a recon frigate variant which I've given the moniker of Owl, and a descendent of the Soyuz class Assault Frigate called the Salamander (which is a nod to a Zoid of the same name, which those of you who are really into Zoids will recognize).

The names used for the Sparrow class will consist of non birds of prey and names used in the past by frigates of classes such as the Surya and Coventry that AFAIK are not in use by any current vessels, the names of the Falken sub-class will consist of any names once used by heavy frigate classes such as the Miranda and Avenger, again so long as they are not in use by contemporary vessels AFAIK, as well as the names of birds of prey, and the Salamander sub-class will consist of the names of mythical/legendary flying animals, and names used by the Soyuz class that aren't currently in use. The names and registries are yet to be determines, but will be worked on*.

I expect the Salamander to be the hardest of the designs, due to wanting to be armed to the teeth, with around as many turrets as the Soyuz, but also appearing like less of kitbash, and a little more like a class modification with many brand new parts, made specifically for her intended purpose. She is to have multiple phaser lancers, downsized versions of those found on the Entente sub-class.

Anyhow, sorry again if the text is to long, feel free to comment, and thank you for your time!:)

*Don't be surprised to find this post edited as I add more information, specifically on members of this class.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It's an idea I know I liked. I turned an Ent-E kit into an actual Romulan BOP many years ago. Of course my nacelles swept forward.

Nice compact design, probably very maneuverable.

Cant wait to see more of this one.

3. JES

Thanks.

Thats the plan, to show more that is, as well as to further refine her, and develop her variants. And I'd imagine that she is extremely maneuverable, rivaling that of Bird of Prey type designs of the Klingons or Romulans, even in atmospheric environments. At least that is the justification for taking Forbin's Peregrine class design where it is being taken here.

Speaking of Forbin, I wonder if he has even seen this yet. He hasn't said anything yet, and I'd think he would find it interesting how I took inspiration from one of his designs.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Aha! How did I miss this thread?
    Very nice concept. The sweep-back on the wings is more fitting to the E-style ship than a forward sweep would be.

5. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

6. JES

You really like the back swept wings? Because I was considering going with a forward sweep instead to stay truer to her distant kin. If you said to go with a forward swept set of wings instead, then that is what I'd do with the final design pass.

Yeah, but that is partly why I love concept art. On many an occasion, there is a story behind how a ship or other vehicle looks the way it does. I think it was rather unfortunate that they didn't go with the forward-swept pylons. I think it would have given the Big E a rather unique look, and I don't think it looks that much like a turkey in a frying pan. I still don't quite see what they were fussing about. I also liked how the nacelle pylons could have moved up and down, and I think it is a shame that idea was passed on.

7. JES

Hello, bringing one of my threads out of suspended animation!:)

Here is some work I've done on my Sparrow class, which I started in Illustrator probably about a year ago, but have restarted in hopes of entering her into the Journal of Applied Technology.

[​IMG] https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/15415391066/

Thankfully, I've received some feedback and commentary on the SCN, so that has kept me going, though I'm also hoping to receive some of that here as well.

And a lot of work on the dorsal:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/15251979827/

A lot of work that I've done here, so comments and criticism please!

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks good so far :)

9. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I love the top view. But I'm not at all sold on the side view. But I'm willing to see more before I really pass judgement.

Honestly, the two views just don't seem to be of the same ship to me. Especially in the forward half.

--Alex

10. JES

Albertese: I'm going to guess that by the forward half, you mean the part where the raised hull sections begin, correct?
    Yeah, I guess that is just one of those things that get lost in translation when doing a design in 2D that I conceptualized in 3D in my mind.

The dorsal view has been the easiest part to work on, but I'm having a hard time deciding how everything is supposed to look from the side.

I think that I'm faced with two choices at the point:

Either I start the raised sections toward the bow, I'm thinking started from the niched prow of the ship, and change a lot of the dorsal, but keep the side view the same.

Or I make the raised sections more like the Akira/Luna class, and change the side view to conform to the dorsal.

I've also raised this issue on the Subspace Coms, so between you, me, and everyone else, hopefully I'll be able to make up my mind as to which direction I should take.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Interesting nacelles--rather like the ACE nacelles of Aridas Sophia, only for a new era.

12. JES

Well, that is an interesting comparison. Glad they aren't having TOO MUCH of a JJ/Church vibe going on!

13. JES

Okay, I've done some quick and dirty alternative views. Yes, I know that they don't look pretty, but please bear with me, and try to use your imagination to see how they'll look if I give them a better flow. ;)

[​IMG]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/15513073351/in/photostream/
    This side view is supposed to better match with the original dorsal view. I'll obviously need to look at the Luna and Akira class to make the hull look better, but this should give you the general idea.

[​IMG]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/15513326411/
    This dorsal is supposed to better match the earlier side view, with the raised section starting from the bow.

I'm hoping for help deciding which direction I should take. Failing any second opinion, I'll just have to make a decision myself.

If necessary, I'll edit and repost the other, earlier work for comparison.

14. JES

It's November, so it's time for my monthly progress on the Sparrow!
    [​IMG]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/15498510427/

I've made a variety of progress, but the major change that I've made are changes to the length of the vernier fin to better match the side view.
    I've also added a pair of blue hull markings, inspired by similar hull marking found on the Miranda/Avenger class. I had to move a phaser array to make them fit.
    The plan is to make them red, orange, or yellow for the Terran Imperial version, assuming that I ever do so.

Since I haven't received any second opinion, the plan is to bring the raised hull section forward to better match the side view, and then redo the deflector grid and Point Defense Phasers in the effected area that I've done thus far over the next month.

If I get that done before December, than I plan to move on to the first stage of detailing the ventral view.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sweet :)

16. JES

Thanks!:D

17. JES

18. JES

This month's installment for my WIP:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/15924777302/
    Not much this month, I know. Just some work on some hull paneling.

I've printed this out to sketch more details in (transporter transcievers, viewports, additional hull markings, hull panelling and Point Defense Emplacements, etc.). That will be this month's work.

Maybe I'll work on the ventral view after that, maybe not.

19. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Dead link.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It probably wasn't two years ago when he posted it.