Happy Veterans Day!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Yanks, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I posted this on FB. I wanted to share with you folks here too.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXHr0qccvE[/yt]

2. Yanks

Wow, no Veterans here?

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Maybe it's because it's more of an international board, Yanks, or people were out doing stuff.

4. Yanks

:bolian:

5. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I'm a U.S. Army vet, but I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and therefore don't get on the site all the time.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Or maybe they were put off by the more naive, jingoistic, and whitewashing elements of his little speech but at the same time didn't want to say anything that could be wrongly construed as being critical of veterans --rather than the policies they are often asked to enforce, which aren't always about handing out puppies and rainbows like the OP suggests-- on a day of remembrance.

There's thanking military vets for their service and remembering those who have died and then there's idolizing them. There's thinking the military is a necessary function that often does some good and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats. The OP came off a shade too far to the latter side of both for my tastes, and I imagine it did for some others too.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't post my true thoughts, the Queen has stymied my freedoms.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Is "Happy Veterans Day" actually appropriate? War veterans have seen some serious shit, I don't think those are very fond memories.

9. Yanks

The best of luck to you! Keep your head down.

The OP suggests no such thing. You seem to misconstrew the policy makers with Veterans. (as most naive people do)

And why should that keep someone from posting?

WWI
    WWII
    Korea
    Vietman
    Gulf War I
    Iraq
    Afghanistan

All liberating folks from tryanny.

...and then the countless times the US Military has been called on to provide aid to countries and people in need. Currently the Phillipines.

I don't see what's wrong with recognizing that.

You are correct, many of these folks have been put in situations the average citizen can't even imagine. But they did what they were ordered to do and it's most apropriate to thank them.

10. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

You stay safe now. And a belated happy veteran's day to you.

11. Locutus of Bored

Before you call someone naive due to your poor reading comprehension, you might want to make sure they didn't use those precise words in their own very short post. Here, I'll highlight it for you:

Or maybe they were put off by the more naive, jingoistic, and whitewashing elements of his little speech but at the same time didn't want to say anything that could be wrongly construed as being critical of veterans --rather than the policies they are often asked to enforce, which aren't always about handing out puppies and rainbows like the OP suggests-- on a day of remembrance.

I very clearly separated the veterans themselves from the policies (and by extension the policy makers) they are asked to enforce.

It shouldn't. You're free to post your thread as is, or preferably in a less jingoistic form that just asks to remember those who gave their lives and thanks veterans for their service, which you acknowledged too. It just got clouded a bit by the "America, Fuck Yeah!" message you tacked on, which I was pointing out as a possible explanation for why there weren't more replies when you inquired about that.

Oy vey. That's such an ignorant, simplistic, or flat-out wrong interpretation of events in regard to most of those examples that I don't even know where to begin.

That's a great and worthwhile function they provide, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with recognizing that. But as I mentioned, if that had been all you said along with thanking vets for their service and remembering their sacrifice, I wouldn't have said anything. That's one of the "often does good" points that I acknowledged in my post.

12. Yanks

Shall I quote you?

and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats.

You shot the arrow, I just turned it around.

And you'll have a hard time justifying that folks weren't liberated from tranny in all those conflicts. Yes, even in Iraq and Afghanistan.

...and stating that doesn't mean on is niave, it just means this isn't a history class.

Oh yay.

What, are you looking for a French "Fuck Yeah!"?

Maybe you're not from America, I don't know.

13. Locutus of Bored

No, you clearly cannot comprehend basic points. What part of that is not addressing policy?

Yep, I'm from the Huntington Beach, California that's in Uzbekistan.

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. Last time I commented on Yank's posts about American military engagements, I got told to shut up and thank him (not the veterans, him) because America single-handedly defeated Nazism. So, yeah, I was somehow shy of responding to his little ID:4 speech, especially when it could be construed as hating on American vets.

Let's see, insulting random countries and implying that anyone who does not share your blind support of war is a dirty furriner (which obviously is intended as an insult by itself). And you wonder why you post didn't receive many replies. But of course, it must be because there are no real Americans here.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

By "liberating", you mean exchanging one tyrannical system for another with the only difference being the newer system is more pro-American. No surprise the American definition of democracy is rule by the rich and powerful in the guise of populism. Can't go wrong there. :bolian:

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I asked this question to myself the other day, but it was more along the lines of should we consider it a "holiday". Yeah we are celebrating Veterans and what they do to protect us, but we are also remembering those who died. I think what I decided is it's like Memorial Day. It's not a holiday, but it's a day of reflection and thought.

To all the men and women in the service, thank you for what you do. :)

17. Locutus of Bored

How is that mutually exclusive with it being a holiday though? Calling a day a "holiday" doesn't have to mean you'll be throwing a party and having fun. A day of somber remembrance and giving thanks is perfectly in keeping with it being a holiday, and is more closely related to the etymology of the word anyway.

18. Yanks

It is true that if the locals chose to keep a form of government based on religious factions that is sad. IMO they have a pretty good example to follow in the US.

Break...

I have no idea who iguanna_tonante is, what board or what "conversation" he is referring to. As my screenname remains the same everywhere, it appears that your does not. ST.com? "ID:4 speech"? "hating on Americans"? "blind support of war"?

Break...

There are a few people in this topic who appear to have bitter, bitter lives and have obviously been damaged in their life experience. I can only hope you find peace. As the U.S. Constitution guarantees your Right to rant, you're welcome.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always thought of "holiday" as a day of celebration, which is something I don't attribute to Memorial Day or Veterans Day. Honestly, I didn't know there was more to the word "Holiday" than that so that's something I'm probably going to rethink.

20. Locutus of Bored

[​IMG]

Wow, you're like some sort of hybrid analyst/therapist. Possibly the world's first. Now we just have to come up with a catchy portmanteau to describe your field there, Sigmund Fraud.

I'm sure the original intent of Veteran's Day was to have veterans going around presuming or demanding thanks from people, so congratulations on nailing the meaning of the day and expressing it in the least arrogant way possible once again.