What The Hell? What Is Up With The Side Hull Torpedo Bays?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shilliam Watner, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

I mean really. I watched the movie tonight as Sulu gave his threatening speech to Khan and saw the torpedoes being put into the tubes. How hollow is the Enterprise secondary hull? And when did the secondary hull have a side bay launching port when Mudd's ship was launched below the starboard nacelle pylon?

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watch the film for the performances, energy, and action. Those are all top notch.

Nothing with the torpedoes makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and 72 was a lot. I know they wanted to use the same number that was in the original episode, but they never show anywhere near 72 of them, even during the widest shots. That's a lot of torpedoes. That's a lot that Spock managed to assign people to do a lot of tinkering on, especially when most of the technicians should be keeping the ship together.

As for the hull design of Enterprise, nothing about the interiors of the ship matches the exteriors. Where is that stupid circular multi-level room (the one that looks like a mall where Kirk radios Scotty with the mysterious coordinates?

People like to easily put down the Enterprise TV show, but at least the sets had both a uniformity and consistency to them, and they were interesting as hell. And, of course, the Deep Space Nine sets were unrivaled by any Hollywood production.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

72 is not that many. Just 10 stacks of 7, shouldn't take up that much space really.

As for the circular room, the only place that makes sense is at the top of the saucer above the central shaft in the neck if the ship. Although looking at the model it seems to be missing the transparent dome which ironically the old movie Enterprise had at that exact spot.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk's in core of the saucer, directly behind the bridge.
    [​IMG]

It's a phallacy that the interiors do not fit (probably started by Ex Astris Scientia, due to their bizarre insistence the new Enterprise is the same size as the old, despite the claims of ILM and overwhelming evidence in the two new movies). Here's a rough layout (which needs a tiny bit of tweaking, I made it after seeing the film twice in cinemas):
    [​IMG]

Take a look at the Starship Size Argument thread, where virtually every scene is dissected.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Deep Space Nine sets make sense? How does a big space station, larger than the Galaxy as seen in The Emissary, have such a tiny promenade? That bugged me from the very first time I watched Deep Space Nine.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Makes sense from a combat perspective. You don't have to maneuver the ship around as much in order to fire torpedoes.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Ask the master and commander.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Which doesn't make sense because in that scene, the Enterprise isn't doing any maneuvers, or moving at all. Why not just say that the Enterprise's main torpedo launcher can fire these special torpedoes five times a second, or fire these torpedoes so that they orbit over their intended target and will launch towards it when given the command? They are supposed to be undetectable. And shouldn't torpedoes "lock on" to targets so that no matter what direction you are facing, the torpedoes would just head towards their targets? We see torpedoes (heck, even phasers) do that in this very movie.

Also kind of hard to sell the idea that weaponizing Starfleet is bad when this Enterprise has more weapons than all the previous Enterprises combined, and we're supposed to shun the Vengeance because it has a lot of weapons.

Plus this "let's throw more stuff in!" shows that nobody is really putting the design of the Enterprise to good use. You already have torpedo launchers that can fire a ton of torpedoes and a huge shuttle bay with a big interior. Why not just stick with what you have that works instead of putting more nonsense onto your ship that only serves to accomplish the same thing?

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Directly behind the bridge:
    [​IMG]

10. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Huh, guess I will have to watch it again. When I did watch it it was on my tablet and was a bootleg copy (sorry was trying to wait till I got home but I don't get home from this deployment till Jan/Feb 14 and I just couldn't wait any longer! :) )

I was under the impression that when Scotty "resigned" and was drinking in what looked like a bar when Kirk called him that he was no longer on the Enterprise and was at a Space Station or even back on Earth. Guess I was wrong. So he was still on the Enterprise? So does it have like a Ten Forward or something?

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Kirk calls him from "the plaza", a vertical shaft down through the saucer section of the Enterprise.

Scotty is indeed in a nightclub in the San Francisco harbour district.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering when this issue would hit the fan.

I simply see the scene as a homage to the great ships of old and their use of the Broadside cannons...

But the scene [ILM?] really screwed up the realism factor, imo. "Square" hatches? And the scaling of them... way too large, iirc. As for the number of them, no problem there as you can see how many they could fit along the side of the much, much smaller Victory

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KE-Vo0I0E[/yt]

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The number is more of a problem in terms of the plot. They were stuck with that number. And all seventy two had to be shuffled about and modified throughout the entire story. It just didn't quite work for me.

14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember, Starfleet is a peace-keeping organization. I guess they felt the addition of 100 or so torpedo tubes to the ship helped reach that goal.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Even Scotty called Kirk out on it. That's one of the points that was being made, Marcus, and his ilk were turning Starfleet into just another interstellar war-machine; this isn't the Starfleet the crew signed up to join.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whenever someone would complain that the classic movie Enterprise lacked an aft torpedo launcher, I'd reply that should extra torpedo launchers (or anything else) ever be needed, a hatch would open up somewhere on the hull with them behind.

And they did that... and then some!

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm kind of the opinion that Marcus was in the right until he tried to murder Kirk and his crew, start a war with the Klingons, and thawed out Khan to help with his plans, oh and the whole assignation without trial plan.

Because until those points all marcus was doing was beefing up Starfleet to deal with threats (aka what they started doing in the TNG era after the Borg kicked their asses into the dirt) and getting over the delusion that they weren't a military.

I mean hell I still don't get why Marcus would be worried about Kirk or someone blabbing about Section 31 in this movie considering it was described as a Starfleet division that designs defenses and gathers intelligence on potential threats to the federation (instead of the typical criminal organization that engages in terrorism from the TNG era), I mean why would he be worried about that, that sounds reasonable.

I mean seriously what is it about acknowledging that the universe isn't all sunshine and kittens and that there are things out there that want nothing more than to kill you in the most horrible ways imaginable and don't give a crap how you feel about it either because they can't or they just don't want to and that some steps should be taken to protect yourself from them that some people in the trek universe and even in the fandom have trouble with accepting

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just assumed that those broadside torpedo launchers were specific only to the mission (say, in Galaxy-class-style interchangeable modules), though it still doesn't explain why, then, there's such a prominent dual torpedo launcher facing the front of the ship anyway.

But your point specifically reminds me that, for all the weapons this Enterprise has, she never had a chance to fire a single shot in the movie. I doubt it was intentional on the part of the writers that all those weapons were useless and impotent in the end -- if it really *were* intentional, it could have made an effective counterpoint to Marcus' war machine approach, that more weapons doesn't mean better or more secure.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Wait. So Marcus is really Harve Bennett?

20. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I was going with the assumption that the side torpedo launchers were originally intended to launch probes and other scientific equipment, and they were just repurposed into weapon's launchers.

Alson it only appeared to be maybe twelve tubes per side, with the rest ready for immediate reloading.